• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

US Spaced: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Latest update. I'm a member of the Spaced fans on Facebook and get updates from the group (I don't know who runs it though). This is what they had to say:

We've just heard that the US remake of 'Spaced' has not been picked up! Truly great news to everyone who was as angry about the way the guys were treated as we were.

But we all knew it would fail anyway, right?

Spaced x

To quote Marcus... "Did we just win?"

The latest is that that snippet of news was a rumourand yet to be confirmed.

I have shockingly discovered I went to the same college as Simon Pegg... we are only a few academic years apart... it's not inconceivable we were there at the same time.

Ive heard alot of good things about this show but have never seen it

It's definitely worth checking out... Tarantino's a big fan and the multiple layers of referencing other shows sometimes at the same time, is phenomenal.

Basically the more of other films/shows/books you've encountered, the better your appreciation of the show gets.

The DVD edition has an "Homage-ometer" so you can tell just how many things have been deliberately referenced.

All that aside, the comedy is top notch in it's own right.

And if you are a fan of Shaun of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz, you can see the embryonic beginnings of what lay behind those films.

Ouch indeed.

I don't think the US Sam is anywhere near as engaging as John Simm.The character of Sam is not just a character who is out of placed... he's actually our window into that world. It's really important that he has an invisible rapport with the audience that permeates the fourth wall without ever breaking it.

The trailer doesn't exactly do a great job of selling it either. IIRC in the original British version they didn't have cheesy voice over man doing so much. they let the clips do the talking and trusted in the intelligence of the audience.

My favourite thing about this? They make a (useless - the original is perfect, why make a remake?) American version of a show, and who do they hire for the main roles? Two Irishmen :LOL:

Much as I like Colm Meaney, he just isn't Gene Hunt. I'm not just saying that because DS9 has led me to think of him as a fluffy teddybear. He was a great bastard in Con Air, only good thing about that movie.

Yeah im not sure about Life on Mars American style. Its too bad that the Television seasons in England are so short. f they were of the same length as in the states then maybe there would be the need for remakes of these series, they could show them first run. Ive never gotten a satisfactory explaination as why the tv season are so short over there. Why don't they go to 20 25 episode seasons. It would mean more money for them especially if their shows made it on one of the big three networks here in the states.

It isn't all one way, we've re-made US things in the past as well. I don't get why it happens either way. We both speak the smae language, we have a not dis-similar culutre, so why the need to go to all the trouble of remaking things?

As for short british seasons, I heard it was that we can't afford to do 22 episodes in a season. This always confused me as the TV stations would still have to fill their airtime with something else. So instead of two TV shows doing 12 episodes between them, why not throw all the money at one show for 12 episodes?

The explanation I have heard for it (but can't remember where) is the different way we tend to air shows over here ... i.e. you start the series/season and carry on until it ends then take it off air, whereas in the US they have tended not to air a full 20-24 episode season all in one block (hence the annual debate over whether the UK would get the later eps of each B5 season before the US), although I get the impression that is changing.

Historically, of course, the UK only had a few channels until digital started to take off, so tying up a timeslot with a single show for nigh on half a year wasn't a good idea as that restricted the variety available. therefore shorter seasons meant a greater variety of shows over the course of a year. You could get 8 different shows per year using a six week season or 4 using a 13 week season, rather than 2.

When the BBC only had two channels and ITV only one, that variety was important in pulling in viewers from as many different demographics as possible.

And there is also the old chestnut ... maybe British audiences prefer shorters seasons. Just because the US networks default to 20-24 episodes per season doesn't make that the only right way to make television, you know.

:p

I love Life on Mars, and quite enjoy Ashes to Ashes. The US remake actually looks quite cool, at least because America in the 70's was a bit funkier than the North of England. Not a bad cast either.

It isn't all one way, we've re-made US things in the past as well. I don't get why it happens either way. We both speak the smae language, we have a not dis-similar culutre, so why the need to go to all the trouble of remaking things?

Money. :)

Well, in fairness, humor can be very different in different countries. I know that I feel British humor and American humor are quite different in many stylistic ways. That's why so many cross-over comedies fail miserably here, I think: if you didn't "get" the original humor you won't "get" the cross-over humor either. Coupling, for example, we didn't have to endure the American attempt at a cross-over series of that one for long. And the show "Little Britian" would never make a cross-over in my opinion. It's just too "British".

But I think the "real" reason is money. Why remake a film that was made perfectly well years ago? Before VCR's and DVD's and the like I might be able to see why. But now we all can just go out and see the original. Before, remakes were ways of bringing some great older stories to a younger generation.

But it's what some consider a safer bet now to remake something whose story proved to be popular. I think "Hollywood" reasons that the story has proven itself, so you're halfway home when it comes to making a profit.

Personally, I doubt very much that any film these days is really remade with art in mind.

And the show "Little Britian" would never make a cross-over in my opinion. It's just too "British".

Or maybe because it's an utter pile of shite. Sorry to just disregard the rest of your post, but I hate Little Britain. I can't see how anyone finds it funny after watching the first time the characters do whatever they do or say their catchphrase. It's so repetitive I find myself knowing the whole joke pretty much as soon as the scene starts. But then again I find most comedy sketch shows too reliant on catchprhases and repeetitive humour.

It's a shame though cos I've seen the two guys do other stuff which I thought was good and David Walliams on comedy panel shows is hilarious.

:LOL: O.K. fair enough: I thought it was a pretty popular show in the U.K.

By the way, I personally don't consider it ignoring or dissing the rest of a post to quote part of it. If it is, then I'm guilty all of the time of doing the same thing. No, just because you choose to respond to part, but not all, isn't an insult in any way, as far as I see.

Back