• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

US Spaced: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Galahad

Regular
I'm really skeptical about what Fox are doing:

FOX Going Forward With Spaced Remake.

My biggest fear about Spaced going over the Atlantic and reformatted is that it'll get dumbed down. It's also something of a desecration. I don't understand why execs feel they have to americanize most things that come in from abroad.

We don't remake things like Lost or Buffy...we show them as they were originally produced. If the US can handle Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz comercially, why can't they accept their forerunner?

Sheesh, next you'll be re-imagining Dad's Army and Blackadder.

My biggest fear about Spaced going over the Atlantic and reformatted is that it'll get dumbed down. ... ... I don't understand why execs feel they have to americanize most things that come in from abroad.

You pretty much answered your own question. They make the shows to match their intended audience.

Hasn't "The Office" done well? And been generally praised by critics?

The one thing I will say is the very (thank goodness) short-lived remaking of "Coupling" I never saw even a second of. I heard ads for it on the radio which were so ... frighteningly horrible to me and my tastes... that I never gave it a chance. I later heard it was cancelled very quickly. VERY quickly.

But as far as the dumbing down for Americans goes... is "Little Britain" considered intelligent humor, somehow? :p

;)

Spaced is in a league of it's own... it sometimes has triple thick stacked film references in a single scene.

I fear that it would very swiftly just become just another sitcom based on the characters.

I have to say, I've seen a bit of the US version of the Office... and it personally just doesn't have the same bite. I can see which characters are supposed to be parallels... but they just seem like pale shadows. The awkwardness humour bits didn't seem to have the same level of "Abigail's Party" gut churning.

Little Britain doesn't really float my boat. It's not particularly intelligent comedy... just clever charicaturing.

But just don't touch Spaced.... it'd be like using the Holy Grail to serve kiddies orange squash. It would be doing some kind of rudimentary job... but it would not be living up to what it is actually meant to be.

:LOL:

I didn't follow the Jones movies after the first one. No, the second, I did see that one now that I think of it, once.

Dissolving lead, eh? Not bad. Of course, according to "The Da Vinci Code" the chalise is something completely different than what most people expect. ;)

The Chalice from the Palace has the pellet that is poison.
The Vessel with the Pestle has the brew that is true... :D

So, a fellow Danny Kaye fan around these parts, eh?
"It's so simple even I can say it"- female
"Then you go fight him" :D (very rough quote there).

I think that's his funniest movie, too. Hans Christian Anderson is great, but more sentimental. And the Inspector General is great, but IMHO Court Jester was him at his best.

Bow to the real king, and the purple pimpernell. Which, of course, was placed strategically on the baby's butt. :)

Darn, now I'll have to rent it again to watch it. :)

Did you ever see him in what may have been his last performance? As the dentist on "The Cosby Show"? The kid he's pretending to work on couldn't stop giggling.

I've read that he was even more awesome on stage.

I believe Court Jester is my favorite too. Besides Inspector general, I also like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and Wonder Man. I love the scene in Wonder man where he is reading two books at the same time, and taking notes from each, writing with one hand for each book. GKE is a Kaye fan as well.

Nope, didn't see him on the Cosby Show.

Last edited:

I didn't follow the Jones movies after the first one. No, the second, I did see that one now that I think of it, once.

The second was the weakest offering IMHO. The third one gets back on track though.

Dissolving lead, eh? Not bad. Of course, according to "The Da Vinci Code" the chalise is something completely different than what most people expect. ;)

Yeah I'm aware of that... irrespective of my beliefs, I don't really take Dan Brown very seriously.... but I guess that comes as no surprise.:p

You'll just have to take me at my word when I say my reasons for complaint are not purely religious.

The French claim to have a grail but of course I think they are lying...just to get at the English...

Life must be pretty trouble-free, if these are your biggest complaints: Americans name things "wrong", Americans steal ideas from us... etc, etc...

I've always been amazed at how well our movie and television entertainment has been so popular around the world. Much of it, if not most of it, is crap to me (though probably very commercially successful and generally liked) yet England and other countries eat it up. It just seems to be the way things are.

But then I see how the British talk about the French, and I realize they're just not happy with anyon. ;)

So, just sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that you don't have to watch it. And we don't have to eat your food. :eek:

Life must be pretty trouble-free, if these are your biggest complaints: Americans name things "wrong", Americans steal ideas from us... etc, etc...

Check your facts and you'll see that it was the original British writers who tried to reformat Dad's Army and not the Yanks... believe it or not it ain't always about you.:p Which is exactly the point I'm making....

I've always been amazed at how well our movie and television entertainment has been so popular around the world. Much of it, if not most of it, is crap to me (though probably very commercially successful and generally liked) yet England and other countries eat it up. It just seems to be the way things are.

Yes but for the most part, we take it as it comes... which is again the point I'm trying to stress.

But then I see how the British talk about the French, and I realize they're just not happy with anyon. ;)

The rivalry between the Brits and French is mutual and historic. As I recall, it wasn't us who in recent history labelled them"cheese eating surrender monkeys". So I wouldn't be so quick to point the finger when it comes to social stereotyping.;)

So, just sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that you don't have to watch it. And we don't have to eat your food. :eek:

If we were talking about sport... that'd be a fair point because we do try and avoid American sport over here.

We are not talking about sport though. As you yourself pointed out, we suck up your media exports quite happily. We don't mind "eating your food"...we just don't get why you have to repackage everyone elses food in stars and stripes before being prepared to accept it.

It's kind of ironic I'm using Dad's Army as the basis of my defence... because I'm totally embracing my inner Mainwaring here!:LOL:

Actually, I wasn't referring to Dad's Army (I saw it a couple of times and didn't find it entertaining). I was commenting on a common theme.

What a marvelously predictable conversation this is. :) I'm sure it'll all be repeated, in earnest, in another week/month. :D

Speaking of American television, it has been very funny watching what Jon Stewart of "The Daily Show" had to say during the writer's strike. Colbert also had some fun with how they just weren't the same shows without the writers, and he (or possibly both) hosts introduced all of the writers for their show when they did get off strike.

I thought that was pretty cool. :cool:

If I still watched network television, I'd be wondering when new episodes will finally be starting.

What I really wish is that Futurama could come back as a series. I'll take it from ANY country that decides to produce it but not mess with its content. I won't particularly care what country that is, either. ;)

Thanks for that DL... I followed the links to Edgar Wright's Myspace, where he lists Simon and Jessica's understandable reaction and analysis along with his own. (I so very nearly skipped into calling the Tim and Daisy...comes natural).

This is pretty much similar treatment to how JMS was treated over those new B5books isn't it?

I think McG and co are just "girlfriend stealing" Dwayne Banzey's and we need to take them paintballing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back