• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ashes to Ashes (Life on Mars Spin Off/Sequel)

Galahad

Regular
In case nobody has heard UK side, the sequel series to Life on Mars - Ashes to Ashes... will be on the BBC next month. Here is the Beeb's first teaser.

And the BBC preview write up.

I don't think it will be as rich as Life on Mars but I hope I'm wrong. I'm a bit worried that they are going to feminise the Gene Genie... the reason he's so loved as a character is because he's a dinosaur... don't develop him into a "New Man"... it won't work!

ashes_main2_396x222.jpg

In case nobody has heard UK side, the sequel series to Life on Mars - Ashes to Ashes... will be on the BBC next month. Here is the Beeb's first teaser.

And the BBC preview write up.

I don't think it will be as rich as Life on Mars but I hope I'm wrong. I'm a bit worried that they are going to feminise the Gene Genie... the reason he's so loved as a character is because he's a dinosaur... don't develop him into a "New Man"... it won't work!

ashes_main2_396x222.jpg

i seriously doubt they would feminise him, he's fantastic.

i seriously doubt they would feminise him, he's fantastic.

Agreed it's just this part of the statement worries me a fair bit:

Jane Featherstone, executive producer for Kudos explains: "Gene has never come across a woman like Alex before and she rocks his world. How is it possible to work with someone so incredibly confident and attractive, not to mention posh and from London and a woman? We see a different side to Gene – a more complex, gentler side, a man with dreams, hopes and fears."

It had better not be a radical feminist's reverse take on The Taming of the Shrew.

Hmm. That kind of sucked. Not in the "oh god my eyeballs" way, but in the "why on earth are they doing this?" way. Pity.

the worst thing is it's during the brixton riots (a great period for the show), and gene could be bowling about london being a misogynistic pig, but he isn't, maybe he will be eventually but not right now, that sucks a little, however life on mars started a little slow too.

the worst thing is it's during the brixton riots (a great period for the show), and gene could be bowling about london being a misogynistic pig, but he isn't, maybe he will be eventually but not right now, that sucks a little, however life on mars started a little slow too.

Slow, possibly. But it never sucked.

Slow, possibly. But it never sucked.

i'm just questioning whether or not we are expecting too much too soon, or not. parts of it were preposterous, but i can forgive that as long as i get my non pc, completely offensive dialogue.

I just really hope they don't do the old "man's world is a mess and only a woman (apparently in TV land, they are perfect), can sort it out" routine. That approach is such a cliche and it's a lie as wonderful as women are, they are just as messed up as men..

The reason why Life on Mars worked so well is because it argued the case for both worlds; there being a place for Gene Hunt's primal copwork from the heart and gut, as well as the methodical analysisof the modern world's cerebral approach.

When this ends, they need to do it just as dark except that Drake shouldn't even get back to our world... she was shot at point blank range in the head for pities sake.

Good to see Zippy and George though!

Good to see Zippy and George though!

i was really looking forward to it, because i'm a sucker for the eighties (going back to 81 is my idea of heaven), and zippy and george kinda made it for me, it's slow, some of the framing work was poor, but zippy and george showed up, so it did have its moments (just so long as bungle doesn't rear his ugly head).

i was really looking forward to it, because i'm a sucker for the eighties (going back to 81 is my idea of heaven), and zippy and george kinda made it for me, it's slow, some of the framing work was poor, but zippy and george showed up, so it did have its moments (just so long as bungle doesn't rear his ugly head).

Bungle and his twanger?

Zippy has a big red one!

The whole show was messed up... puppets and bear that spend the day walking around naked and thendress up in pyjamas to go and sleep all in the same bed.

Just try telling me something wasn't going on.

Glorious!

Seems like no one ever posted after the first episode - which sucked. Even if later episodes didn't suck nearly as much as the first one.

Anyways, Ashes to Ashes will be back sometime later this month. Trailer HERE. Still not as hyped as I would be if this was Life on Mars, but definitely looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to this as well, the show had found its own voice by the end of the first season.. It got very trippy later on with the use of 80's pop video homages.

The whole show was messed up... puppets and bear that spend the day walking around naked and thendress up in pyjamas to go and sleep all in the same bed.

Just try telling me something wasn't going on.

Glorious!

i missed a trick with this.

the fact that they wore PJ's clearly showed that they knew they were being provocatively naked for the children, it's the same thing with tony the tiger and his red hanky.

The series opener was a little hard to get into at first... and the Superintendent affair was predictable from pretty early on.

It appears there are some masonic goings on (fast tracking of constables, the no women allowed meeting between Gene and Mac could have easily have been a recruitment proposal, the references to a secret army... perhaps within the police themselves, and the appearance of Gene blindfolded in the trailer for next week... my prediction is that he's infiltrating Mac's inner circle).

Unseen dying man on operating table at the beginning... anyone else think it's modern day Gene?

Liked the twist about someone with knowledge of Alex's time period stalking her in the "past".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back