• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS' Reaction to the AICN Review

Re: JMS\' Reaction to the AICN Review

Responses like this are one of the many reasons I respect JMS.

------------------

Actually, it seemed to me that this reviewer knew more about the B5 universe than the other reviewer who actually liked the movie. From what I gathered of his review, it appeared that he honestly just didn't like it. As far as HOW he wrote his review, I didn't see it as anything too different from the other sort of reviews that they have. That's just what they are ... if you want to read pulitzer-prize winning stuff then I would definately not go to AICN.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

As a relatively active member of the TrekBBS, the Sho-Rin saw much the same type of heated exchange prior to the airing of Enterprise. If somebody found a gum-wrapper behind the Paramount studio, it got disected for content and canon purity before the sun set that day. People with a huge bias, positive or negative, spoiled the show for themselves before it ever hit the screen.

Let's just choose to fart in the general direction of the self-appointed "reviewer" and move on to better use of our time (and better control of our blood pressure
laugh.gif
.)

------------------
Into the sands of blood comes the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai

"I'm not saying what I'm thinking. I'm not even thinking what I'm thinking." John Sheridan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
To be completely honest, AICN is a much better source for breaking news on B5 than this place could ever hope to be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So... I was just imagining it, when this site was the first to reveal the name of the director and the returning B5 character? Or the character/plot info and scripts snippets that appeared here months before AICN's first review? The news archive link is just a big lie?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>That's not a knock, just the truth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No Psion, we've been over this before. The truth tends to be supported Real Actual Facts. "Because I say so" isn't one of them.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited October 19, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
To be completely honest, AICN is a much better source for breaking news on B5 than this place could ever hope to be.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you can have your news express-lane fast or with standards for competency. A rumor served hot off the griddle is still a rumor.

------------------
Joe Medina (neargrai@aol.com)

"...that which are, we are"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
It was on the moderated newsgroup.

Perhaps you just missed it amongst all the other posts on the same topic?
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah. it's within the large LOTR review up at AICN thread.

JMS posts there as much as he can considering his busy schedule.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

Frankly, I don't understand the hostility. So what if some dude didn't like the movie? In a prior review on AICN, another guy loved it. I've always thought that there was a nice balance of reviews over there. To be completely honest, AICN is a much better source for breaking news on B5 than this place could ever hope to be. That's not a knock, just the truth.

------------------

PsionTen-

It wasn't the matter of the review itself that got the board mad. We understand if something gets a bad review. (Hell, we *give* bad reviews. Talk to me about The Gathering.)

It was how it was presented - in an unimpressive, sloppy, slightly derogatory Trek fanboy fashion totally unintegrated with a professional demeanor.

All you have to do is keep your eye on the moderated newsgroup, Cinescape, and Scifi.com for breaking Rangers news...

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> No Psion, we've been over this before. The truth tends to be supported Real Actual Facts. "Because I say so" isn't one of them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny... I was about to say the same thing as a response to your response. Funny huh?

------------------

That's funny... I was about to say the same thing as a response to your response. Funny huh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>...without making any attempt to actually support your statement. Or dealing with my criticisms of it.

I see you haven't changed.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>....
I see you haven't changed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nor do I see that the quantity of overbearing, know-it-all, knee-jerk reactionists have dwindled on this board. Pity.

------------------

Looks like you are forever destined to be the devil's avocado of this board......

------------------

Somebody's gotta be.

------------------

You mean the reviewers have actually seen the movie? Forgive my ingonrance but does that mean the movie has finished production?

If it isn't and all the reviewers are getting worked up because of a damn 2 minute trailer, then I say to hell with them. How can they build a review over bloody trailer?

So the movie is out for reviewers?

------------------
May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

Yes, Angel, the final cut of the movie was shown to producers, executives, the cast, and *ahem* spies about 3 weeks ago, I believe.

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

REALLY DUMB SUGGESTION ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

What if someone in the Rangers ranks probably the promotion department is sending out these duff reviews to get Rangers in the headlines. As hostility towards the reviews increases, the bigger media giants turn their heads wondering what all the fuss is about, seeing if there is a story and maybe doing a review themselves. Reverse psychology!
wink.gif

I'm not biting this one guys, really, just offering a new slant. I am in no way implicating anyone I just thought I'd do a jms, or as he said once "so what now, you've pulled a rabbit out of the hat, if you keep doing that the audience will lose interest, sooner or later you have to pull a crocodile out of the hat!" That was the gist so don't pounce on me if I got the wording wrong, it was in a magazine years ago!

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

*Watches with a bag of popcorn*

Oh, continue, continue.

Pay no attention to me.
laugh.gif

------------------
"There's Snow White and the Seven Narns, Who's Your Little Pak'ma'ra, others..."
- Captain Matthew Gideon, The Needs of Earth
Rising Star

Same here. Do whatever you were doing.

*crunch crunch*

Regards,
TheInfection

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

I think this topic is well and truly over. Closing.

------------------
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." -- Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair-gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away." -- Spike, as Angel, in Angel

Back