• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ashes to Ashes... The End.

Galahad

Regular
Awesomeness of awesomeness.

Quite a ride and at times you were led uncomfortably to believe you'd be in a place you didn't want to be at the end.

But I loved the way it came full circle... and the ongoing destiny of Gene Hunt.

Superb stuff - almost perfection, in fact. If the Lost finale is half that good they'll be doing well ....:cool:

A special shout-out to Dean Andrews, who really took his character to a whole new level this series.

There's a transcript of long (and pretty comprehensive) interview with Matthew Graham here

Ashes To Ashes: The Answers

No real surprises in there, but nice to have all the same.

Actually saw this as it aired, as I'm currently in Wales (Swansea now, Rhosilli when it aired). Loved it.

Also loved how the actual A2A resolution was what people have been kicking around as a possible Lost respolution from day 1. :LOL:

I loved the fact they brought back Nelson... he was woefully underused in series 2 of LOM... and the hints about his real nature were there all along.

I especially loved the use of Dixon of Dock Green at the end of the credits... it will have escaped most people's attention that PC George Dixon was a reincarnated copper long before Gene Hunt came along. He was killed in his first film outing (The Blue Lamp), but was subsequently resurrected for his own TV series - Dixon of Dock Green. So it's really fitting and appropriate that it is one of Dixon's closing monologues that ends the show.

In fact all those people who remember Dixon must be thinking that show has taken on a new meaning now. I'm way too young to have seen it but still, I'm aware of the curious history.

I'd like to think that one day Gene will step down and take his own hard earned rest... but he's like Atlas in his own world, he knows he has to carry it on to stop Keat's devil taking down his future wards.

I think I travelled the entire emotional spectrum during that last episode.

Looking back, Many coppers died in Genes arms. Supermac, for one. Shame Keats got to Viv first.

I agree GH, that episode tugged every emotion it could. The best bit of humor was Keats suggesting that Club Tropicana should be played ALL the time, just as his true nature was becoming apparent.

TV payoffs this satisfying are rare.

satisfying?

are you kidding me?

so, they were all dead.:wtf:

how the hell is that satisfying?

they were dead. so none of it mattered.

thank you for wasting my time you bastards.

With Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes, I saw the main arc primarily as the means to an end - the end being having an awesome retro cop show (which makes it quite different than Lost, which was marketed to be about the mystieries, yadday yadda yadda) So I was never expecting a science-fictiony payoff. The final episode was perfectly consistent with the way the Gene-Hunt Universe was depicted throughout the shows.

The great thing about retro shows is that they rarely age... because everything they depict is already dated.

satisfying?

are you kidding me?

so, they were all dead.:wtf:

how the hell is that satisfying?

they were dead. so none of it mattered.

thank you for wasting my time you bastards.

I'm really not going to dignify this with a response, but Journey>End is the key thing here ...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back