• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who General Request:

Galahad

Regular
So I have this friend who occasionally flirts with SF and even flirted with B5 for a while (went off it in early season 4 though as he didn't like the twist with the Vorlons and Shadows).

He's toying with the idea of watching Doctor Who... unfortunately he has a young family who were terrified by The Waters of Mars... he didn't like that episode either.

However I think he is intrigued by the character of the Doctor and "wants" to like it.

He's therefore asked me if he could borrow some of My Doctor Who DVD's. Now i should point out that I don't have all the DVD's (I've only bought episodes from series 3 onwards, that I particularly liked to date... and ones that I could use in seminars).

So I guess I'm asking which from the following you think are worth lending him... and which extra ones I should scuttle to get... I'll highlight in bold italic the episodes I'm particularly keen for him to see based on my preference and things i think he'll buy into:

3/1 Smith and Jones, The Shakespeare Code, Gridlock
3/2 Daleks in Manhattan, Evolution of the Daleks, the Lazarus Experiment, 42
3/3 Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink
3/4 Utopia, The sound of Drums, Last of the Time Lords

Voyage of the Damned

4/1 Partners in Crime, Fires of Pompeii, Planet of the Ood
4/2 The Sontaran Stratagem, The Poison Sky, The Doctor's Daughter, The Unicorn & The Wasp
4/3 Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead, Midnight.

I think I should get a hold of 4/4 not too fussed about the latter specials.

I think I need to get the Series 2 Finale and highlighted suggestions for S2.

I may stretch to Ecclestone too, in which case the final two episodes and Father's Day would be excellent choices.

As a side note I am now planning the assassination of Shia LeBoeuf who I understand is now dating Carey Mulligan!!!!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky man... but he shoulda stuck to Megan Fox!

I think I'd go for 3/1 - Smith and Jones, The Shakespeare Code, Gridlock.

It's a good set of decent episodes (even if none of them are probably the best in the series), with an introductory episode and a mix of past/present/future. 4/1 would be another good bet for the same reason; I just prefer the 3/1 episodes that little bit more myself.

Some of the others, 3/4 in particular, are probably better enjoyed once one has a bit more knowledge and experience about the series in general already.

I'd go for 3/1 or 3/3. 3/3 has the better episodes, in my opinion .. but if being scared was a negative thing for this friend, trying to start him with Blink is probably not the bestest of best ideas.

Smith and Jones has the additioinal bonus of being a season starter, and the first episode with a new companion. It has an "introductory" feel around it.

I must advocate for a specific episode: "Blink". That episode really got me interested in watching more Doctor Who. Before watching that, I would stop on Doctor Who if there wasn't anything else on, but after watching it, I tend to watch whenever I see it on. I think "Blink" is so well directed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back