• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2008 (Possible Spoilers)

Gender is certainly a very innate part of a being. So is race, of course, but how much of that is nature versus nurture, I have no idea. In general, do you think it's easier for a white man and a black man to relate than it is for a black man and a black woman (or white or any other color)? Personally, I think that is probalby true. But the real key is: what won't piss off the fans too much.

I suspect a 12 year old Doctor would piss off the fans too much. :wtf:

But why is there no talk about a French Doctor? :devil:

That would be a way to piss off all of the fans all at once. :p

Gender is certainly a very innate part of a being. So is race, of course, but how much of that is nature versus nurture, I have no idea. In general, do you think it's easier for a white man and a black man to relate than it is for a black man and a black woman (or white or any other color)? Personally, I think that is probalby true. But the real key is: what won't piss off the fans too much.

I suspect a 12 year old Doctor would piss off the fans too much. :wtf:

But why is there no talk about a French Doctor? :devil:

That would be a way to piss off all of the fans all at once. :p

Well, there was Jon Pertwee, whose family changed its name from Perthuis to shroud the Frenchiness :D

As for the whole race thing .. it has been established that certain genetic characteristics do change from regenration to regeneration. The eye colour has switched at least once.

Well, we're beating a dead horse here, but if the argument is "he's never been female before" then the same argument works for race. I think you're more on the right track with Romana's regeneration: we see that female Time Lords regenerate differently, and seem to follow different rules than male Time Lords. That's the most logical argument against a suddenly female doctor, I think. The rest is just the argument "it hasn't happened yet" which is dubious at best, as we know.

Back to the subject core here: I think we're all sounding a bit afraid that this actor won't be able to step up to the role (ore mature into the role) very well. I have absolutely no idea what his work to date has been like. So I have no idea whatsoever. If I can keep my age-prejudice down, maybe I'll find him to be quite a good doctor.

The main problem is, to me, who will be writing for him? I think teaming the actor with the right director and writer is the key to making the show shine. When it's all in synch, the show is really quite fun. :D

I hope they can keep that.

I think Moffat will be getting some new writing blood in. Little has been announced. We are still RTD and Tennant for the 2009 specials. Joan Simm's return as the Master in the final is heavily rumoured...

Joan Simm's return as the Master in the final is heavily rumoured...

:wtf:

What...? Is this "Carry on Doctor Who?"

_1411977_sims_curt.jpg

....it would be even more astounding seeing as she is dead.:p

Just yanking your chain, I know you mean John Simm;)

Although, now I'm thinking of what roles the classic Carry On line up would play in a sending up of Doctor Who.

I think Barbara Windsor would obviously be a companion. I'd probably put Kenneth Williams in as the Master, Sid James or Jim Dale in as the Doctor (possibly both with a regeneration arc), Bernard Bresslaw in as cyberleader or a yeti, Joan Sims/Hattie Jacques as the Rani. Although he wasn't in many, I'd probably have Windsor Davies as the Brigadier with Kenneth Connor and Terry Scott as members of unit.

Last edited:
LOL !

Cheers fella, best typo of the week. Last week's was me putting assed instead of assessed in a tender specification document ...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back