• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deja Vu (Spoilers Included)

Galahad

Regular
I didn't watch this at the cinema because it received some fairly negative reviews... but saw it last night on DVD (it's on offer for £5 at HMV).

I really enjoyed the film, I found myself completely drawn in and relating to the characters and caring about their fates.

I think it's a good job we've been having those discussions on time travel in the Star Trek thread though. It made the film a lot easier to understand.

The film's ending makes no sense and is a paradox unless you accept that the timeline created by the actions of Denzel Washington's character, is a new one... and not an alteration of the pre-existing timeline that he came from.

You could argue that it needed to go 12 Monkeys to work... but it really doesn't have to. everything seems to fulfill itself and it seems like it is going to go down the 12 Monkey's road... because there are many similarities but then you already know there have been some changes to the timeline at that point.

I think that the timeline we observe through most of the film, is actually a byproduct of Carlin's similar escapades in another timeline (where he was trying but failing to achieve the same result) and that it is the culmination of various altered timelines that results in the film's ending.

The reason I say that is because Jim Cavielzel's character seems to have an unconscious awareness that he has done the same thing many times before and only gets distracted when something slightly unusual from what he anticipates happens.

Right,

There are several schools of thought I think. Here are a couple:

1) That you cannot go back in time with the intention of changing something in the past, because if you do and it never happened, then you would have had no reason to go back there again. I think the best way to look at this, is if there is one single timeline.

2) That if you go back and change something from the past, your original timeline disappears and you create a new one, that is a branch off from the original from the point you made the change.

The movie deals with the second one, and they in fact draw out that method of thinking on a whiteboard in the movie.

Spoilers below.

I also think it was very well done and really liked it. While the movie had time travel concepts of the first, they also did quite a good job at showing that the same event in the movie happened over, and over, and over again, and that Denzel's character kept going back in time trying to stop it, but failing and getting killed over, and over and over again (Causing a sort of casuality loop like in Star Trek TNG) until the final time when he managed to overt the disaster thus ending the movie.

Heh heh... you should look at where the time travel theory conversation went on the Trek thread lol!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back