• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

A travesty?

According to SciFi Wire, it looks like Keanu Reeves will be Klaatu.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=43630

Reeves To Stand Still

Twentieth Century Fox has set Keanu Reeves to star in The Day the Earth Stood Still, its re-imagining of the 1951 Robert Wise-directed SF classic movie, Variety reported.

Reeves committed over the weekend to play Klaatu, a humanoid alien who arrives on Earth accompanied by an indestructible, heavily armed robot and a warning to world leaders that their continued aggression will lead to annihilation by species watching from afar.

Erwin Stoff is producing, with Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) directing from a script by David Scarpa. Reeves' commitment puts the picture on track for a late fall or early 2008 production start.

The Klaatu role was originated by Michael Rennie. The 1951 film's premise, a response to the rise of the Cold War after World War II, is being updated, and the film will use advances in visual effects.

It also returns the Matrix star to his strong suit in the SF realm.

Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me! I'm not completely adverse to Keanu in some things, but Dear Mother of God, not this.

Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me! I'm not completely adverse to Keanu in some things, but Dear Mother of God, not this.

It says he committed over the weekend, so it seems beyond the rumor stage.

Well, at least now you can just pretend it never existed, rather than having to watch it to ensure it's as bad you fear it might be. :(

Yea, Keanu is fine as Joe-average action star or just a Keanu type character, but, something that actually requires acting probably should be avoided by him.

not completely adverse? the guy couldn't act if somebody was threatening to cut off his balls. i'm convinced he has had the worlds most botched botox treatment, because for as long as i can remember the only facial expression he has been able to muster, has been mild annoyance.

Keanu barada nikto?

Oh please, somebody tell me this is a gag. (Because otherwise I'm probably going to.)

Regards,

Joe

I can just see how that decision was arrived at, as fat executives sit at their tables wiping the grease from their mouths and puffing on their over-expensive cigars:

"So... this Klaatu - is an alien guy with a messianic message. Hmmm lets see, the Matrix was sci fi... and had a messianic character in it - and that made loads of money! Therefore wiff we use the same guy, we'll rake it in."

And do you know what? No matter how creatively wrong it is, they are probably fiscally right. There are too many sycophantic film goers out there, who will just go because of the big name and will care nothing for the soul of the film.

Danny de Vito as Gort LOL! Though you joke, following their logic they will probably cast Vin Diesil (he played one Iron Giant... why not another?)

Gort will probably be CGI... and he doesn't actually have a speaking role as far as I remember - so as long as the stature is right.... at least they can't muck him up too much....

...unless of course they try and rip of Transformers and have Klaatu's ship transform into Gort.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keanu Reeves?

No! No! No!

The only thing that could possibly be worse is Tom Cruise as Klaatu!

If they're gonna remake 'Day the Earth Stood Still', there are plenty of actors, known or unknown who could pull or off better.

A wet shoe could possibly pull it off better. :rolleyes:

I'll go further than that even....

Michael Rennie could STILL pull it off better today, despite the fact he died in 1971!

And it is ironically one of the quotes attributed to Rennie on IMDB, that quite accurately sums up the debacle:

"Some people making pictures in Hollywood are not outstanding for brains. How their minds work, I can't understand."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back