• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The Wheel Of Fire

The Wheel Of Fire

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow. No discussion here. Let me start.

Garibaldi finally faces the consequences of his alcoholism after how many episodes of needlessly showing him drinking when we already know? That's fine, by this point it's nice to see that plot move forward, finally.

The best story here is Lyta. It is quite abrupt to see her "turn" but her character development is believable... and personally I feel sorry for her. She's been shit on by the alliance repeatedly, the work and risk she has put in somehow earns her nil respect amongst Sheridan's alliance, and she is left to fend for herself. The alliance created this situation for her.

I don't mind Lochley's character, but I wish we had Ivanova rather than trying to develop a character on the 4th last episode. It's a good story, but it's pretty late in the game for any big payoff.

I still think its a good episode, we're moving towards closure.

Wow. No discussion here. Let me start.

I think in one of the board remakes posts may have disappeared. I'm fairly certain there used to be posts in this thread. It's certainly an episode likely to have inspired comment years ago, at least.

As far as the payoffs go: yes, JMS had a tricky job having to figure out how to create a character we'd find developed and sympathetic in one final season, when CC left the show. Quite frankly, I'm surprised he pulled it off as well as he did.

Lyta's story: yea, it's a real wonder that she helped out so many in such important ways, and yet was still an "outsider". I guess that's the plight of the telepaths, and the reason there's just no simple answer to how to cope with people who can read your mind, even bend or destroy your mind. And what happened to her is much like the "the war is over, get over it" that veterans have to live through.

But it is totally baffling how abandoned she was. It seemed that no one ever even tried to help her find a place, a purpose among them. I tend to see the ingratitude towards and treatment of Lyta as part of what makes the B5 heroes still only human. Not perfect, by any means, and perhaps even too wrapped up in other matters to much care. Not that those "other matters" weren't of staggaring importance, but again you'd think someone would pipe up and say "don't we owe here something for the sacrifices she's made and the work she's done for us?"

But it puts her where she needs to be in order to go out with G'kar and find the resources to take down the Psi Corps. Fair or not, I'd think it was an essential plot point that she not be welcomed in and made comfortable. That's not the stuff of revolutions, you know?

With Bester's help Lyta had become the station telepath. That is a well paid job that gives her lots of contacts with business people. In practice when Sheridan wanted inform contact with the mega-corps he would probably have to go via Lyta.

What Lyta failed to become was part of Sheridan's political negotiating team.

Though there's plenty happening in this episode, it does feel like the quiet after the storm. We're moving toward closure, tying up loose ends, and the main characters are leaving the station.

Finally! Garibaldi's drinking problem comes out into the open and forces Sheridan and the others to draw consequences. It's about time. I like the bit of character development that takes place with Lochley and him; it gives some background to their enmity.

I'm not a Lise fan, but in this case, she's the best thing that could happen to Garibaldi. Her willingness to help him, and her asking him to help her provide him with a new lease on life.

Lyta has turned scary - I wouldn't want to have her around with those powers, directed by that anger. Interesting line: "I do not choose to be arrested." Sheridan's resistance as a result of his contact with the Vorlons (and presumably also with Lorien) is a fascinating detail.

The G'Kar statuette is an amusing play with merchandising objects, and the whole situation makes his wish to get away from it all quite understandable.

Delenn's pregnancy appears to be unexpected. I would think that it would have had to be engineered and consciously sought in a cross-cultural marriage, but for whatever reasons, it's possible without that effort, I guess. Sheridan is so sweet in his mixture of concern and delight.

Loneliest of all is the character who already left B5 - Londo. Seeing him like that is sad.

Sheridan's resistance as a result of his contact with the Vorlons (and presumably also with Lorien) is a fascinating detail.
I think the point is that they were both touched by Vorlons specifically, Sheridan by Kosh, and Lyta by Kosh II, and so Sheridan could still have power over Lyta when no one else could. Don't think it's connected to Lorien's healing.

Delenn's pregnancy appears to be unexpected. I would think that it would have had to be engineered and consciously sought in a cross-cultural marriage, but for whatever reasons, it's possible without that effort, I guess.
The Chrysalis is what made Delenn's pregnancy possible by making her genetically compatible with humans.

Sheridan's resistance as a result of his contact with the Vorlons (and presumably also with Lorien) is a fascinating detail.
I think the point is that they were both touched by Vorlons specifically, Sheridan by Kosh, and Lyta by Kosh II, and so Sheridan could still have power over Lyta when no one else could. Don't think it's connected to Lorien's healing.

Delenn's pregnancy appears to be unexpected. I would think that it would have had to be engineered and consciously sought in a cross-cultural marriage, but for whatever reasons, it's possible without that effort, I guess.
The Chrysalis is what made Delenn's pregnancy possible by making her genetically compatible with humans.

After Delenn asks Ivanova for help with her unruly hair, when they are in the elevator together, Delenn has a "throwaway" comedic line about having strange cramps. This is the clue to the audience that Delenn's reproductive system was changed to that of a Human in the Chrysalis

Hey, I've just recently noticed, the polls now match up with their episodes, thanks

It's definitely starting to feel like things are being wrapped up in this episode.

I agree with Elipsis that the best storyline here is Lyta's. I sympathize with her and her "cause", although I don't get why she is bombing Psi Corps facilities in Byron's name. She knew how he felt about that. I guess it's the anger clouding her judgment.

I'm not crazy about the Lochley/Garibaldi alcoholics conversation ...But, at least, as others said, finally something is happening with that, Garibaldi is taking action, things are looking up.

That conversation Dr. Franklin and Sheridan have in medlab, about Delenn's pregnancy is a bit weird. They're almost talking like Delenn is 9 months pregnant and in a coma, and Sheridan has to make decisions about whether to save her or their baby. It's weird for the doctor to ask Sheridan if HE wants to have this baby. What if he had said "GODS NO, cut it out!" You think they'd at least have waited until she woke up and asked HER opinion? :p

Something I forgot. What's the deal with "You're not the only one who's been touched by the Vorlons!" ? I feel like it's thrown out there almost casually, never to be mentioned again, but it seems like something important. Is Sheridan immune to all telepathy? Is he immune to just Lyta? Does he have his own secret Vorlon superpowers we never get to see? What is going on?

Kosh broke off a piece of himself and put it inside Sheridan. That is what helped him at Za'Ha'Dum, and also what helped Lorien revive him after he died there. So in a way, yes he too was "touched" by the Vorlons.

The benefits of carrying a piece of Kosh seemed pretty obvious while that piece was there ("Jump! Now!"), but I'm very confused about the lasting effects. On the other hand, perhaps what we see in this episode is not a "skill" Sheridan has acquired,but rather the limits of Lyta's abilities. The Vorlons probably adjusted her so that she has power over non-Vorlons only. Maybe anyone who ever carried a Vorlon is similarly excluded for some reason?

This is one of the episodes where I actually really like Dr. Franklin. I think he does a good job in all his scenes; I particularly liked the scene with him and G'Kar.
And his "I'll get the gun" was very giggleworthy :LOL:

I like that Garibaldi's problem FINALLY comes out. About time!! I wasn't a big fan of Lochley's moving heart to heart speeches. Yes, it finally gave some more background and tied to "Day of the Dead" but... I just didn't find her very convincing.

Lyta - not a fan. I get why she is so angry but does she really have to go all out?
Although I do symphatize with her because of her loneliness - which I think might be the fate of any telepath outside a group of other telepaths. It is natural to be wary of someone who potentially has access into your mind, isn't it?

Londo :(

I hatehatehate the end-is-nigh feeling. Only three more episodes to go, and everyone is leaving B5 :(

Although I have purchased B5 movies!!! I blame this site entirely! Before this site, I was only vaguely aware that there might be some sort of a prequel movie; I had no idea that there were movies that continue the story!
I have bought The gathering, In the beginning, Thirdspace, The river of souls, and A call to arms. I don't have to leave B5 just yet...

And don't forget get Crusade, Legend of The Rangers, and The Lost Tales. I hope you are using this as a guide for viewing order. It is a shame you didn't watch THE GATHERING first. At least that is what I assume since you said you just bought it.

^I never really knew there was a preceding movie when I saw B5 for the first and second time. Watching season one where they make references to past incidents, I sort of vaguely thought it was just some kind of artistic thing: making the viewers jump in the middle of things. Then, when I realized there was a movie (and others as well) I didn't think at first I'd be interested enough to get them. Finding this site, reading your texts, made me reconsider ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back