• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Superman: Earth One

Raw Shark

Regular
Has anyone read the new Superman: Earth One graphic novel by JMS? Does anyone have anything to say about it? I want opinions before I buy it. I'm a Straczynski fan, not much of a Superman fan.

And has he dropped his other projects to focus on Superman and Wonder Woman? Haven't heard about any other comics he's doing recently.

Raw Shark

"I know many things! I care about little, however."
Renfield

I liked it a lot. While you still recognize the iconic trappings of the Superman universe, things are enough different to make it fresher and more thoughtful.

Most comic shops sold out the first day and a second and now possibly third printing is in the works. DC is wanting to fast-track the next one.

JMS mentioned a couple more team-ups for Brave and the Bold at the New York Comic-Con but I gather that a bout of a recurring lung infection has slowed some titles down. He's also promised that The Twelve would be finished.

Jan

Sorry to be so cynical, but does anyone really give a hoot about the mediocre stuff JMS has done since Jeremiah? Spiderman and Superman comics? Really? And that god awful movie? It's such a waste of talent in my opinion

Sorry to be so cynical, but does anyone really give a hoot about the mediocre stuff JMS has done since Jeremiah? Spiderman and Superman comics? Really? And that god awful movie? It's such a waste of talent in my opinion
Changeling...really, you thought it was God Awful? I loved it, and I was fearful with Angelina Jolie Starring, but, she did a great job, IMHO.

I was hoping s/he was talking about "Ninja Assassin" which was less to my taste than most of JMS' work. But he's done some really interesting things in comics. I thought "Changeling" was great. I've enjoyed most of what JMS has done; certainly enough so that I'll give whatever he's writing a try.

Jan

I love Ninja Assassin, but I think it's also a movie you have to be in the right mindset for. FYI, his Spider-Man run started before Jeremiah. Dream Police was a good one-shot comic that he did after IMO.

Thanks Jan! I've had it with buying comics I later regret reading, much less buying. Now I'm careful.

I liked Changeling a lot, but I do seem to remember there being some early word that it was going to be a supernatural kind of movie, do I have that right? Ninja Assassin was an enjoyable bloodbath. Anyone expecting something more cerebral should have read the title again.

Spider-man was really good for a while, but for my money, his best comics work was on Supreme Power. JMS writing in someone else's universe is generally going to be less good than writing his own stuff, Jeremiah being a hell of an exception. But I think he knows that in the higher-paying Hollywood film-writer's world, you have to do some easily marketable product before you get the creative freedom to do your own thing the way you want. I wouldn't have pictured him doing scripts for Jerry Bruckheimer, but he said he's going to do a second project after 'Shattered Union.' You have to go where the action is. I'm reasonably certain he'll do another project we love before too long.

Raw Shark

"If we were up to something, we would mine your harbors."
Alan Alda, Canadian Bacon

I liked Changeling a lot, but I do seem to remember there being some early word that it was going to be a supernatural kind of movie, do I have that right?
There was some confusion with a previous movie called 'The Changeling" that was a supernatural/horror film. In folklore, a changeling was a child/golem left in exchange when elves/brownies stole a human child.

Spider-man was really good for a while, but for my money, his best comics work was on Supreme Power.
I liked Supreme Power as long as the focus was on Hyperion. When it switched to Squadron Supreme, it lost me.

JMS writing in someone else's universe is generally going to be less good than writing his own stuff, Jeremiah being a hell of an exception.
JMS has said that his experience on Jeremiah was horrible but I think he did some great work on that one, particularly in the second season.

Jan

I remember the other film with George C. Scott, I liked it. But I thought JMS had written something in advance of Changeling's release describing it as a supernatural movie. I could be wrong. I was happier when it turned out to be historical, showing that he can write things other than sci fi.

Jeremiah was great, and further proof that JMS' epic writing style is best told in the television medium. So far, anyway. As far as unhappiness working on a project, several actors say that James Cameron is just miserable to work with. But the end results speak for themselves.

I think he stayed with Spider-man too long, though I didn't pick up the issues he did toward the end. Limited series are the best way to tell a story, because they allow for an ending. Marshal Law stands out as a perfect example of how well a sci fi story can be told in just six issues, complete with a strong introduction to a futuristic city. Not a cheery future, mind you, but an interesting one. How I miss the 80's sometimes... Oh wait, lots of great 80's series are making comebacks!

Raw Shark

"The Vorlons would never attack a civilian population that big! The ships stay."
Mr. Morden

rising stars and midnight nation are some of the best comics I have read. Joe does not seem to do so well with the big properties IMHO but still worth a read. glad to hear superman is selling well. my sic fi hating wife loved the changeling, so did I.

Back