• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New activity in the B5 universe?

Thanks for the link.

I wonder how the contracts from the old days are worded...

Could JMS do 5 collections of 22 movies, each 44ish minutes long, released to sites like Netflix?

No, 'fraid not. Aside from everything else, movie (or feature film) is an industry term with an exact definition by the Writer's Guild. I *think* it's mainly determined by length but I'm not certain. There's a major difference in pay scales for the actors, too.

Jan

This is just my own curiosity rather than me thinking I've found the solution that everybody else failed to see so feel free to stop humoring me at any point, but if length is one of the main factors could 2 episodes be combined into a movie?

12 movies per season would be rather awesome. I realize length wouldn't be the only factor, but since the difference between movie and episode is largely a conceptual one, somewhere along the line the specific rights becomes meaningless.

I suspect 'movie' in this sense means a theatrical release, going through the movie distribution chains rather than television.

But it's interesting. Some movies end up going straight to video despite originally being intended for the big screen. Sometimes they get theatrical releases in some countries but not in others. If a B5 movie ended up going straight to video (hopefully this wouldn't happen) in some countries, how would this affect the rights issue? Let's say it was on at the local multiplex in the United States, but in the UK where there is a smaller market it ends up going straight to video. Because of the rights issue – presumably Warners own the video rights – would this mean the UK would not get it at all? Though I suppose there will be a DVD eventually anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Furthermore, when those B5 contracts were originally drawn up, there was no Netflix, Apple store or Internet TV. Presumably those contracts have been re-written since the advent of these?

This is just my own curiosity rather than me thinking I've found the solution that everybody else failed to see so feel free to stop humoring me at any point, but if length is one of the main factors could 2 episodes be combined into a movie?

12 movies per season would be rather awesome. I realize length wouldn't be the only factor, but since the difference between movie and episode is largely a conceptual one, somewhere along the line the specific rights becomes meaningless.

Distribution is also a factor. I know that in some places overseas The Gathering was actually shown in movie theaters. And yeah, from what I've heard, the pay scales for a 'movie' are way more than for two episodes.

Jan

Just a fan, Wulf. But I've been at it for so long that I sometimes consult with the B5 Books Team on some of the history of the show and other things JMS has done. I've had the honor of having JMS declare me insane (in a good way) twice. :LOL: (I call it my 'moderate to severe' (like the pharma commercials say) obsession :p )

Anything I know about the industry is from JMS' posts over the years and a bit from being curious enough from time to time to actually look at the base WGA contract - heavy going, let me tell you. But that's just the basis; Every contract is individually negotiated although there's a Minimum Basic Agreement that most studios already agree to. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's that Agreement that comes up for negotiation every few years.

Ah. Here's the actual definitions in the MBA:

1. The term "television motion picture" (sometimes referred to in this
Basic Agreement as "television film") means the entertainment portion
of motion pictures, whether made on or by film, tape or otherwise and
whether produced by means of motion picture cameras, electronic
cameras or devices or any combination of the foregoing or any other
means, methods or devices, now used or which may hereafter be
adopted for the recordation of motion pictures produced primarily for
exhibition by free television. The prefatory language to this Basic
Agreement and the provisions cited therein determine the extent to
which the provisions of the Basic Agreement which are applicable to
television motion pictures are also applicable to pay television and basic
cable.
2. The term "theatrical motion picture" means motion pictures and
photoplays, whether made on or by film, tape or otherwise and whether
produced by means of motion picture cameras, electronic cameras, or
devices or any combination of the foregoing or any other means,
methods or devices now used or which may be hereafter adopted for
the recordation of motion pictures produced primarily for exhibition in a
theater or similar location in which a fee or admission charge is paid by
the viewing audience, other than those motion pictures produced
primarily for exhibition in another market covered by this Basic
Agreement.

It looks to me like the intent at the time the project is shot (or contracted for?) may be key. There are other definitions, too, such as Basic Cable, Pay Television, etc.

Jan

Interesting stuff. (I've been known to apply that label to things that most people would disagree with)

$100,000 admission to the JMS Garage Theater, each viewing comes with complimentary broadcast rights of the movie on your network.

Ah, I'm sure there are loopholes for somebody to take, but I'm doubly sure that the lawyers are more than willing to fight even legitimate usage to the bloody end, never mind a loophole.

And I pity people without obsessions. What's the point of life if you're going to be all sane about it?

Ah, I'm sure there are loopholes for somebody to take, but I'm doubly sure that the lawyers are more than willing to fight even legitimate usage to the bloody end, never mind a loophole.

It's unlikely JMS would look for the loopholes since he's very much a union guy when it comes to the Writer's Guild.

One of the reasons that Legend of the Rangers never went to series is because the Sci-Fi (then called) channel wanted a part ownership. As JMS said, studios would rather own 100% of nothing. Sigh...

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

Back