B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 26th 22, 12:33   #1
Moonface
Ranger

Rangers in the background

I just saw JMS gives "live" audio commentary to some (all on patreon? idk, I only have access to thos on youtube) episodes.
In the last one he did, the coming of shadows, he mentioned, that the rangers, although introduced officially in the coming of shadows, where present in the background in a couple of episodes before just to be there and give people who rewatch it something to look for.

Due to my recap efforts I did rewatch all of it last year and again in the winter holidays, but I don't recall noticing any rangers in the background prior to the coming of shadows.
Did anyone else notice them?
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th 22, 00:01   #2
LateArrival
Ranger

Re: Rangers in the background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
I just saw JMS gives "live" audio commentary to some (all on patreon? idk, I only have access to thos on youtube) episodes.
In the last one he did, the coming of shadows, he mentioned, that the rangers, although introduced officially in the coming of shadows, where present in the background in a couple of episodes before just to be there and give people who rewatch it something to look for.

Due to my recap efforts I did rewatch all of it last year and again in the winter holidays, but I don't recall noticing any rangers in the background prior to the coming of shadows.
Did anyone else notice them?

Can take no credit for this as did a quick search and read about someone else's Ranger Sighting - Season 2, Episode 5 (The Long Dark) at the scene by the bar just after the opening credits. With that, was able to sort of guess it was the person sitting on the right (see picture - just to the right of the Drazi) but had to frame-by-frame to get a glimpse of what looks like a Ranger pin (see other picture). It's basically around 3 1/2 to 4 mins in and the best "view" I can get of what might be a Ranger pin is where Dwight Schutlz (Amis) is speaking with G'Kar and you can see the Ranger (?) just over Dwight's right shoulder and to the immediate right of someone walking by in a B5 uniform.

...Unfortunately no luck pasting pics as get Entity Too Large messages or stuck in a submission loop. Will try attaching and cross several fingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LD_1.jpg (159.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg LD_2.jpg (143.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by LateArrival; January 28th 22 at 20:10.
LateArrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th 22, 00:11   #3
LateArrival
Ranger

Quote:

Unrelated: Regarding his Patreon, I only subscribed about two-months-ish ago at the $20 level and am as far from an expert as anyone can be, but am pretty certain that subscribing at even the lowest level ($5 ?) will get access to all his B5 commentary videos. Although it looks like he eventually posts all of them for Free via youtube, so whether $5/month or Free, you would still be able to see them.

Would guess that people who have joined can not only see them right away , but can also vote on future commentaries - he gives four possible choices and the one with the highest votes wins.

Last edited by LateArrival; January 28th 22 at 00:26.
Old January 30th 22, 21:21   #4
Moonface
Ranger

Ah! nice spotting! thanks for the reference pictures

That's REALLY subtle. I don't think I'd ever found that oO
Old January 31st 22, 05:05   #5
LateArrival
Ranger

Quote:
Ah! nice spotting! thanks for the reference pictures

That's REALLY subtle. I don't think I'd ever found that

For fun spent about half an hour trying to skim only scenes that were "public" scenes and skip the rest. There were several ????s that were shots from shoulders-up and several ????s which were background-blurry and not worth the effort. Best results were, ironically, at the Exact Same Spot - on the right side of the bar, all others were ???? shots open to interpretation depending on how one squinted. Only three were worth trying a screen shot.

First is a ???? flip-a-coin from S02E03 Geometry of Shadows at about 7mins 20 seconds, just after Refa leaves. Over his departing left shoulder is ???? maybe a Ranger. Second is from S02E06 Spider in the Web around 30 seconds in. Blurry Ranger is in their favorite spot - on the right side of the bar and in frame between Sheridan and Ivanova. It's the same location as in The Long Dark, but a different Ranger. Third pic is almost clear enough to be somewhat recognizable, and is the same Ranger from earlier in the episode still at the bar, and is in frame to the left of Abel Horn around 14 minutes 10 seconds in. Probably missed a few as was skipping about, and haven't checked Race Through Dark Places. But guess the best place to spot them is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0203Geometry_720.jpg (96.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 0206Spider_30sec.jpg (76.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 0206Spider1410.jpg (113.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by LateArrival; January 31st 22 at 05:20.
Old January 31st 22, 13:57   #6
Moonface
Ranger

I think I've to rewatch the second season and try to hunt them down myself. Amazing effort, thanks a lot!