B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > A new river > B5.reborn

Old December 9th 21, 03:05   #71
hypatia
First One

Re: B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
As far as Orville goes, I was wondering if I should watch it. I gather it's been keeping your interest and I need a good, lighter series to watch. I'll have to check it out.
So the Orville can be lighter, but it can also get pretty heavy. I am currently watching Season One for the third time. While they do manage to throw comedy as often as they can fit it they also deal with some serious subject matter as well.

I can also tell you that now that it is on Hulu I believe the format has switched to nine 70min episodes. So if you do pickup a Hulu subscription know that the episodes will all be nearly movie length and will be movie length if you have commercials breaks.
I never dropped my Hulu subscription, I just got rid of the “Live TV” part. That package adds something like an extra $60 per month. If Orville isn’t entirely comedy, I will definitely check it out. I wasn’t sure if it was a comedy show or the usual mix of science fiction/comedy/drama. Mainly, I hope the writing is good.

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody!
Old December 10th 21, 00:57   #72
Karajorma
Commander

If you watch the show it's pretty obvious that Seth MacFarlane is a big Star Trek TNG fan. It's obvious that The Orville was pitched as a TNG parody but after only a few episodes the comedy gets dialed way back down and there aren't that many jokes in the an episode. In fact by the later episodes there's about as much humour in an episode as you might expect in episodes of the show it's supposedly parodying.

At which point MacFarlane's true intention becomes obvious, pitch a parody TNG show to the executives, use the money to just make more TNG. And I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact I look forward to the return of The Orville far more than Discovery or Picard.

Last edited by Karajorma; December 10th 21 at 01:00.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 21, 02:00   #73
Kraig
First One

I will miss the voice of Norm MacDonald as the voice of Yaphit, if the show returns.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th 21, 14:51   #74
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post

At which point MacFarlane's true intention becomes obvious, pitch a parody TNG show to the executives, use the money to just make more TNG. And I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact I look forward to the return of The Orville far more than Discovery or Picard.
Absolutely true my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
I will miss the voice of Norm MacDonald as the voice of Yaphit, if the show returns.
DEFINITELY! I was sooooo glad he found a semi-normal regular spot on TV again. Terrible news when he passed. I honestly felt the Yaphit character was one of the more brilliant choices of MacFarlane. Funny guy hired to play a comedic seeming character that ended up getting actual depth.

Just think, if the Orville gets a fourth season we'll be able to discuss it and a new BABYLON 5. Just amazing.
Old December 11th 21, 20:18   #75
LateArrival
Ranger

Quote:

Never looked at it that way before, but in hindsight...

Suits: What kind of a show will it be?
Seth: A Comedy Wagon Train to the Stars.
Suits: Have I heard of that pitch before?
Seth: Look - funny things!
Suits: HAHAHHA - Approved.
Old December 22nd 21, 08:16   #76
deaded
Telepath

This HBO remastered version of B5 is SOOOOOO good!

They can do so much with this reboot! It's really exciting.

(...not to change the subject)
Old December 24th 21, 22:14   #77
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaded View Post
This HBO remastered version of B5 is SOOOOOO good!

They can do so much with this reboot! It's really exciting.

(...not to change the subject)
You are correct. So great.
Old January 2nd 22, 18:11   #78
Ubik
Commander

Quote:

As a lifelong Trek fan, with TNG up there with my favourite shows, I couldn't believe how BAD Picard was. So much scope, and it was such a pile of turgid trash with zero character development. Plus, I now firmly believe a lot of shows are being ruined by forcing an arc plot, mostly one that isn't good enough for the the viewer to care about. So many shows have forgotten that you can tell a great story in 45 mins and STILL progress an arc.

DISCO was at least occasionally entertaining, but still far below the bar of what Trek should / could be. Also guilty of 'crap arc' syndrome.

Must admit, I was very unconvinced by Orville to begin with, but it grew on me and it's definitely nice comfort food TV. I'd actually love to see an episodal SF TV show again that isn't trying to do a season long / series long arc!

Last edited by Ubik; January 2nd 22 at 18:17.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd 22, 21:04   #79
Springer
Telepath

I enjoyed Picard, well at least until the last episode or so, when the plot was laid bare and turned out to be a bit naff. That and turning the Romulans into space elves.

I also enjoy Discovery, despite as Ubik puts it, crap arc syndrome. I'm able to look past that and see the good stuff in it. I find that the problem isn't that the current Trek writers can't write characters or long-running plots, it's that they can't write science fiction. That's where B5 had an advantage, in having JMS who knew science fiction inside and out. Star Trek TOS hired writers who knew science fiction. So did TNG. And it really shows in the stories they tell.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th 22, 08:36   #80
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

"Crap Arc Syndrome" is now in my lexicon.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote