• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS signed on to a new ST series??

Dalar

I noticed this on jmsnews:

At the same time as the above, an offer came in to run a new TV series for fall of '06, and since there's no way anything Trek can happen in the interim, I've said yes (now we have to negotiate the deal, but that should be fairly straightforward).

So JMS gets a Trek series?!

I might actually watch trek again...

Dalar, I think you're missing the point. JMS was apparently holding out for Trek (why he thought he'd be offered I can't know, seems pretty arrogant) and is taking other jobs because that's not going to happen.

JMS was apparently holding out for Trek (why he thought he'd be offered I can't know, seems pretty arrogant)

He wasn't "holding out" for Trek. Word was that Paramount was putting Trek on ice for a period after Enterprise, then a rumor surfaced that they had changed their minds and were going to do a new series - and were looking for a new show-runner, fast. Hence his rare public appeal for fan support. He had had an informal conversation with Paramount about the on-spec plan to "reboot" the Trek universe that he had co-written. (Paramount never saw the actual outline, deeming it "politically awkward" for them to do so at that time.)

Paramount had considered B5 after all, back before Warner Bros. bought it, and there are conflicting accounts of their either asking JMS to do a Trek series instead of B5 or even adapting his series idea to set it in the Trek universe. (Some say that they later did that themselves without JMS's hlep. :))

So publicly suggesting himself for the job under those circumstances wasn't especially arrogant. As a long-time Trek fan, JMS just couldn't resist going for it when an opportunity seemed to be there, even though he already had a number of other projects on this plate. With Trek off the table for a couple of years (meaning nobody else is going to get it, either) he was free to take this fall 2006 project when it was offered.

Regards,

Joe

He won't be doing Trek.

It's probably -- oh, something straight-edged, although with his history you never know.

First episode the Empire counter attacks by wiping out the Ewoks. The rest of the series the rebels fight space battles. Could be fun.

The ewoks turn out to be a species that out of everyone in existance are the most in tune with the Force, and they awake to that consciousness, and become a new army beating the crap out of bad guys by just looking at them.

I hope it is not a new ST series otherwise I may not tune in.Wether JMS has anything to do withit or not.

Sorry, you lose. Jeremiah, although I doubted it for a couple of years before I bought the DVD set, was very good show. So.. just for the sake of ideas, if JMS will be bringing his new series, you should check it out. It never hurts to expand your general taste.

I hope it is not a new ST series otherwise I may not tune in.Wether JMS has anything to do withit or not.

It won't be. JMS has already said that his source at Paramount told him that there isn't going to be a new Trek series for the foreseeable future. They're inclined to let the thing rest for a couple of years. That's why JMS withdrew his request for fans to lobby Paramount to give him a shot. The new series for 2006 is a job that he took in part because he knew there wouldn't be a new Trek series to vie for until 2007 or '08 at the earliest.

Regards,

Joe

Does anyone remember the details about the series he pitched some time ago that got passed on? Not that I'm suggesting this is that series, but what was that again? I don't even recall if he gave a title or a description of it, actually. :confused:

My memory fails.
:eek:

Polaris, maybe?

Conventional wisdom has 9/11 projects coming to the fore again -- perhaps it'll be World on Fire; perhaps it'll be a sitcom. Although I just can't see him writing a sitcom.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back