• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dan Simmons: Hyperion Cantos

Endymion

Hmmm. Just thought I'd bring this up as there's not one mention of this book on the forums anywhere.

Has anyone read the Hyperion Cantos? I think they're the closest thing to B5's plot, intelligence and majesty I've ever read.

BTW, Dan Simmons has a website at www.dansimmons.com

And there's lots of talk about a movie of the cantos, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be totally massacered by Hollywood. Even if Scorsese did direct it.

I've read 'em and loved 'em, and any film version would destroy them.

I take it from your name that you've read all four? Some people stop at the first two. I can somewhat understand that, especially as Simmons could have done a better job of lining the two duologies up, but I still love the fourth book the most.

Yes, I've managed to get through all four. I cannot decide whether Hyperion or Rise of Endymion is my favourite, probably the latter, just to see all the things he set up in Hyperion play out in The Rise of Endymion.

But he does move the goalposts in Rise little with the rival AI factions, doesn't he? That annoyed me. Otherwise, I'm definately a big fan.

I think the Cantos are written in a very visual way, so a movie would probably not add to it that much, only serve to hilight the brilliance of the books - I'd look forward to it just for the popularity it would bring Simmons.

(is it me or is the film industry currently developing just about every TV show, book and comic series it can find???).

I don't know if you also read his new epic sci-fi saga novel, Ilium, is being released shortly. The subject alone is enough to get me interested.

(is it me or is the film industry currently developing just about every TV show, book and comic series it can find???).

Except B5, of course. The best always gets overlooked.

I don't know if you also read his new epic sci-fi saga novel, Ilium, is being released shortly. The subject alone is enough to get me interested.

Yes, I've heard about that. It does sound interesting.

Back