• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Vorlon/Shadow Engagements

Galahad

Regular
I was thinking about this the other day, the Vorlons do not engage the Shadows until season 3, because of the "rules of the game".

However in the comic "In Valen's Name.", I'm sure there is a couple of frames where we see vorlon ships shooting shadow fighters and battlecrabs. Was this just artistic licence, or is the implication that the vorlons had some practical involvement in Valen and G'Quan's Shadow War. If they did attack the shadowships, maybe it only mattered if the CPU of the battlecrab was actually a shadow. If they were younger races at the helm, maybe the rules allowed the vorlons to step in and take them out. Suggestions please???? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The rules of engagement in effect at the time of Sheridan's war may have been recent innovations, created as a result of the previous Shadow War.

Regards,

Joe

The previous Shadow War ended when the First Ones drove The Shadows off the surface of Z'Ha'Dum. It is possible that the First Ones only fought proxy wars or that there were limits on the weapons used. There must be some rule that says The Shadows cannot be attacked whilst they sleep.

There is also the alternative that they cannot be found when they sleep, because clearly, most of them don't sleep on Z'ha'dum. Lorien spoke of them "always returning" and thinking they are paying respect. They probably return for that, and also because the Eye is there, and nobody cares to tear it down. After all, it seems that they can control their fleets again shortly after they lose the Eye. They either rebuilt or replaced it. Or another alternative... last time someone attacked them during their rest, the result was too messy for anyone to want it again.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Lennier:
They probably return for that, and also because the Eye is there, and nobody cares to tear it down.

[/quote]

And it's a clever thing to do. The Shadows know that beacause of Lorien, the Vorlons wouldn't dare to destroy their "home" no matter what.

Regards,
TheInfection

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Lennier: </font color>
There is also the alternative that they cannot be found when they sleep, because clearly, most of them don't sleep on Z'ha'dum. Lorien spoke of them "always returning" and thinking they are paying respect.

[/quote]

They were sleeping when Anna Sheridan and the Icarus Expedition found them. They sleep between wars. They return to Z'Ha'Dum when they get defeated in a war.

They were sleeping when Anna Sheridan and the Icarus Expedition found them.

[/quote] That is certainly true. Or at least, they were taking a nap, waiting for an expedition to come, which they probably knew would come (I cannot see them not noticing a beacon on one of their battlecrabs). The question remains, however...

...how much they actually sleep, and where besides Z'ha'dum? The problem is that they always get defeated, or consider the round over for one reason or other. They seem to leave pretty much always. For a being with that much age and experience to speak of them always returning, it must have become pretty regular.

"beacon on one of their battlecrabs"

Awakened Battlecrab = Alarm Clock ?

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

"There is a beacon on your alarm clock."

Well, probably just one of many alarm clocks. After sleeping that long, one clock wouldn't wake many of them. I guess some would notice it, and expect visitors. It would affect the speed of their gathering and movement (provide associates among one more civilisation) but wouldn't be the sole factor affecting it.

I don't know. I always took the whole "Sleeping" thing to be metaphorical; that the Shadows were just laying real low, passively observing things, waiting for the right moment. When things like the ship being discovered on Mars (Which I think was a way for them to be alerted to when the humans had reached a certain technological level ala Arthur C Clarke's short story "The Sentinal") and the subsequent IPX expedition to Zahadum and recognizing Babylon 4 under construction started happening they figured it was time to start their plans into motion.

Yes, Babylon 4 would indeed be an important factor. If they recognized this station (and someone who took it) had bothered them in the past. At the very least, they would send those fighters with their fusion bomb. However, perhaps they thought they succeeded in destroying B4?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back