• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Chess Game in the B5-Universe , anyone ?

White Left Bishop C1-D2

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: Lennier , 2nd in command on this mission , spoke over the intercom with the other Whitestar-ship and monitored their movements. They were in a path that mirrored the other , waiting for enemy-vessels in hyperspace.

What will they do now ? Will they attack or will they wait until the time is right ?

He considered the many possibilities as he conferred with the Captain , went over them in his analytical mind , and waited with a patience that many said was so typical of a Ranger. Others said it was so typical of a Minbari.

Perhaps both were right. Or wrong.

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Left Bishop C1-D2

Black Pawn G7-G5

<font color="yellow">Story</font color>

Seeing the enemy enter its game, Ziirq quickly instructed another vessel to move. A large battlecrab faded into normal space near the White Star carrying Zack. It approached at full speed, without hesitation or doubt. It desired battle, and battle it would see. Retreating was not an option.

<font color="yellow">Chess move</font color>

Black Pawn G7-G5

White Right Knight F4xD3

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: The Whitestar-ship took them by surprise.

Zack had to admit that luck had played a part , but even so he felt a thrill seeing the enemy-vessel fall to pieces before their eyes. Several missiles had hit the other ship before it had been able to fully retaliate and by then it had been too late.

It had however been able to send out a distress-call to its allies and Zack`s elation diminished quickly when he suddenly saw another ship appear in the distance. This one seemed bigger and more lethal. He swore under his breath and hurried over to the Captain to confer.

Too soon! Their reinforcements are here too soon!

The thought buzzed in his mind as he watched the enemy-vessel still at a fair distance while at the same time listening to the Captain`s words. "We are only up to 60 % capacity as of now. There is damage. We won`t be able to outrun that ship , that is a cert!" Zack nodded , believing and trusting the Captain`s assessment of the situation.

"Ready the defence-shields!" The order from the Captain resonated in the ship and was instantly acted upon. "Arm our weapons!"

It doesn`t look good , Michael , Zack thought to himself as they waited. But whatever happens , we won`t go down without a darn good fight!

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Right Knight F4xD3

Black Right Castle D8xD3

<font color="yellow">Story:</font color>

Noticing it was late to prevent the vessel from being lost, Ziirq considered which way to choose. Which was efficient? To destroy the opponents personally, further wasting its time? Perhaps suitable tools already existed nearby?

Tools of the Shadows were difficult to locate... some even for their own sensors. It knew that somewhere nearby, the right tool was was passing. Moments before, sensors had locked on, now it was gone again. Yes indeed, there it was. It would deal with the hostile ship, flying a similar path towards Epsilon 3. This one would continue its voyage towards Minbar.

"Captain..."
"Yes."
"This is odd."
"What?"
"The stars..."
"What about them?"
"We cannot see half of the stars we should see."
"Complete scan."
"It returns nothing, but the stars are not there."

The missile cut its way straight through the White Star, turning the once powerful ship into three torn chunks, spinning in emptyness. Follow-up was not needed. This was sufficient. The missile decelerated, contacted the network, requested a new location. Weapons designed to fly inside a jump channel, penetrate solid rock like empty space... did not need warheads for ships.

<font color="yellow">Chess move:</font color>

Black Right Castle D8xD3

White Short Castling

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: "I agree , the danger is great." Jeffrey Sinclair , Ambassador to the Minbar , spoke in a lowered tone. "But we need to do something ."

Zack , your sacrifice will not go unpunished , thought Sheridan as he listened to Sinclair`s words. We shall win this war , for you and all those others who have lost their lives to this brutal enemy!

Sheridan looked closer at his advisor , who had recently arrived at Babylon 5 from Minbar , and nodded with vigour. "Steps must be taken , yes" , he began in his no-nonsense voice ,", we need to get the initiative. First though we must strengthen the alliance. Build strength from within and it will harden the walls."

For a long time they sat and discussed military strategy and agreed upon measures to be implemented.

It remained to be seen if the best of intentions would produce the best of results.

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>:
White Short Castling
White King E1-G1
White Right Castle H1-F1

Black Left Knight E7-D5

"The Centauri Republic, in the person of the recently ascended emperor Londo Mollari, has after careful consideration of alternatives, and extensive negotiations with president Morgan Clarke of Earth, arrived at the conclusion...

...that unless Earth promptly acts to suppress rebel activities emanating from its space, especially arms trade benefitting the Narn regime occurring on Babylon 5... the Centauri republic will have to interfere preventively, removing or curbing the extent of this dire threat.

In preparation, we have withdrawn our ambassador Vir Cotto from Babylon 5, interned all ships in our ports originating from, belonging to or associated with Babylon 5. We have established a far-reaching trade blockade against the rebel space station, in which most non-aligned worlds support us.

In hopes of mutual agreement still being reachable, our ships will use minimal force against those attempting to breach the blockade. However, all offenders shall be brought into custody and tried according to the laws of the Centauri Republic.

In protest of illegal sales of advanced material technology to the Narn Regime, we have also severed our dimplomatic ties with the Minbari Federation. In addition to internment of all Minbari vessels in Centauri ports, after exactly 33 hours, all Minbari ships are prohibited from entering Centauri space. Those attempting shall be repelled by force."

Black Left Knight E7-D5

White Queen D1-E1

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: Delenn`s mind was on something else as Sheridan spoke. "We have gained the support of our allies , but we must bide our time."

Where is the piece we are missing ?

"Sinclair agrees that we must move soon. We must move deftly and with precision."

The puzzle is there , but we have forgotten something.

"We need to strike hard , or else we will stand little chance in this war."

What have we forgotten ?

"Delenn , are you listening to what I am saying ?" Sheridan said , seeing the faraway-look in Delenn`s eyes. "You seemed far away for a moment." Delenn smiled back at him , a small blush in her cheeks. "You are right , John" she said. "I was thinking about something else. There is something we have overlooked in all this , I just can`t put my finger on what it is."

It is vital that we find out. I am sure of it.

"It will come to you" , Sheridan said and smiled back. "I know you well enough to know that you will not have peace of mind before you have solved your puzzle." His face was worn with all the stress and worries of the past days but she could see strength there and character.

He would need both in the days to come. They all would.

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Queen D1-E1

Black Left Castle F8-E8

The Monitor of Epsilon was glad to receive the message. Associates from Z'ha'dum had weighed in their skills and experience, removing the need for brutal destruction, which until recently, seemed the only option. They had used the Eye to successfully infiltrate the Machine of Epsilon. Draal was no longer a concern, his main activity being endless efforts to keep Shadow hackers from taking over the Machine. With another obstacle removed, their chances of using the station to efficiently coordinate the Change were looking much better.

Black Left Castle F8-E8

White Pawn E3-E4

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: "Head into sector 4" was the order they had gotten from Command Centre and now they were doing as ordered. The Captain of Whitestar 5 , an earth-Captain of middle years and hard stare called Mirradon , conferred with his 2nd in command as they flew through hyperspace. Enemy-ships had been observed in sector 4 some time before and they needed to know if an enemy-buildup was imminent in that sector.

There is risk involved , the Captain thought , but we need chance it. There is a time for caution and there is a time for action. Necessity makes us act now.

As they came through the jumpgate and entered the sector-point something moved in the distance , a figure , a shadow , it was hard to tell , but they were immediately on full alert. They watched the movements of the unfammilar object and reported back to Babylon 5 their situation and status.

What is it ? the Captain wondered as he stared at the foreign shape of the vessel out there. For it had to be a ship as far as he could tell.

Or was it ?

Weapons ready , they waited. So far no other ships were to be seen but the Captain did not feel certain that they were alone.

Are we ever alone ?

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Pawn E3-E4

Black Pawn F5xE4

Taking a leap forward through hyperspace, the battlecrab appeared at the side of the enemy vessel, a repulsive sample of failed Vorlon technology, crewed by misdirected Humans and Minbari. Quickly, the enemy responded by starting a rapid spiraling circle, hoping to evade fire.

However, regardless of their request for backup, the Shadow vessel had one advantage. While locking on its main weapons, it also lauched its fighters, a measure against which the White Star had nothing to offer.

After several seconds of frantic spinning, the result was clear. Shots from the battlecrab missed, but Shadow fighters delivered their fire. When one collided head-on, the White Star broke away from its evasive manouver, attempting to gain distance. Moments later, the antineutron beam hit.

White Star 5 was no more.

Black Pawn F5xE4

White Pawn F3xE4

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: Whitestar 6 heard the distress-call from its sister-vessel and headed toward sector 4 at full speed , keeping Command Centre informed of their manouvre. Over the intercom from Whitestar 5 screams were heard , orders shouted frantically , curses delivered ...

"They are launching fighters ... darn!"
"We cannot stop them ... "
"Fire!"
"Whitestar 6 , we need assistance ... "
"Strike at them!"
"We need assistance ... now! They are too many!"
"They are coming ... we are lost ..."

Then dead silence.

When Whitestar 6 arrived at sector 4 they saw small remains of flying debris and understood immediately that it was what little was left of Whitestar 5. The Captain saw enemy-vessels some way off , fighters , and ordered that they open fire. Further away was the huge and foreign enemy-destroyer , like a shadow among shadows. No way to know whether they had any chance to damage that mother-ship , better to attack the smaller vessels!

They came in swiftly , defence-shield up and armed to the teeth , and fired at the fighters! Several volleys hit the nearest enemy-fighter , which tried to dodge and to retaliate , and the Captain , adrenalin pumping in veins and blood , roared in triumph as the ship exploded into nothingness!

More missiles were launched at the Whitestar-ship and it took clever and some fortitious flying to avoid them. But the enemy-fighters came on , deadly predators on the move ...

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Pawn F3xE4

Black Left Castle E8xE4

Nevain felt a sudden burst of headache, but tried to remain in control. In the middle of battle, it was unacceptable for a communications officer to leave duty. Crunching his teeth together, he tried to keep...

Then it reached him. There was no communications. The ship was dying, life support stopping, reactor stopping. Shaken out of his concentration on battle, he raised his head and saw something he would remember for the rest of his life... many years after a cargo vessel salvaged the drifting lifepod.

The crew was dead. The Centauri weapons officer lay on the deck, the Human captain slouched in his chair. The two Minbari pilots sat unmoving, held in place only by seatbelts. His headache grew further, as the navigation computer crashed, stopping its last attempts to maintain evasive manouvers.

Then, the pain stopped, and Nevain fainted. Waking up hours later, on an entirely dark command bridge, he felt a definite lack of air. Minbari could live with little oxygen, but this was approaching too little. He struggled to his feet, found a flashlight and started making his way to the nearest lifepod. Every room he checked increased his fear further.

Powering up the pod, Nevain was relieved to see that this computer still worked. Then he realized. After launching the pod, the first thing he did was temporarily directing all power to the transmitter. He knew the ship key by heart, but it took what seemed like eternity to recite the long sequence of numbers.

"Message, tranmit to Entil'zha. Use all available relays to avoid jamming. Repeat until acknowledged. Priority, strategic. Sender, Venn Nevain of Fire Wings, communications officer of White Star 6. Our ship has been lost. The enemy has used a weapon of unknown type, affecting both biological mind and active computers. Source of attack not known. I suspect I lived because of telepathic talent. Found no survivors, request help, pod life support will hold for five days. Send."

Black Left Castle E8xE4

White Queen E1-F2

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: Delenn of the Minbari , head of the Rangers , acted as soon as she got the message from Venn Nevain.

War. Destruction. Is that all there is for this Age ?

Conferring with Sheridan about this possible biological-technical weapon-threath of unknown origin they agreed upon a meeting with their allies. Hurrying through the Babylon 5-station she soon arrived at the meeting where the other members of the War Council already were seated.

Facing them she was silent for a moment.

How to give them courage ? How to avoid despair and inner doubt ? We must stand united to win this war. United or we will perish!

"In hard times we must stand together , my friends" Delenn began. "I have dire news but we must not lose hope!"

We need to agree on a counter-strike. For we will strike back!

Then she told them.

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Queen E1-F2

Black Left Castle E4-F4

The Monitor of Epsilon wrote...

"I am pleased to inform everyone who contributed their knowledge... regardless of low selectivity and limited focus area, our new tool shows remarkable promise. With energy and communication offered by X'ha'dam, along with remarkable awareness and processing speed received from the Eye, we now possess a very efficient quick-response measure. Instead of sending out ships, we can use the Eye to tilt odds in most smaller battles."

Quickly, the announcement was followed by strings of responses, most expressing approval, some arguing among their own... but some criticising. Examining the root node of one tree of criticism, the Monitor noticed questions raised by its longtime acquaintance Ziirq.

"I suspect you have acted rashly. You have prematurely revealed this weapon. Via careless testing, you have alerted them to its nature. You have left a survivor who connected the ends, guessed almost the right answer, managed to relay his guess.

Due to your errors, only time separates us from countermeasures. Already given by Vorlons, countermeasures exist. Were I the enemy, I would quickly discover them. Moreover, discovering countermeasures to this weapon will, despite deeply straining their resources, direct them towards the main flaw of the currently centralized network.

Conveniently winning this battle, you have imperiled our long-term goals. I have always advised you to stop supporting this centralized abomination. Like countless times before, I will repeat my suggestion. Knowing you will ignore, I will also propose something else.

Now that you lead us into this generous zog field, compensate for your error by defending your pet node. Remember what Valen did with it, last time when spoo hit the fan."

Realising that from some perspective, this would truly qualify as error, the Monitor of Epsilon quickly relayed orders to X'ha'dam. In addition to blocking a possible way of attack, it would prepare for counterattack. Meanwhile, a Pak'ma'ra cargo ship picked up a life pod, barely escaped Drakh raiders and reported the odd things it had seen.

Black Left Castle E4-F4

Comment

Well, my Shadow side finally pulled off an error which may give the Alliance a fighting chance. Instead of using the knight, I used the castle. What a fool I am. However, each defeat has its brighter sides. At least I will be spared from the task of having to (or being able to) remove Delenn.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regardless of everything, I will still try to continue. Rest assured, the endgame will be most interesting.

White Left Bishop D2xF4

<font color="green">Comment</font color>: I guessed it was a mistake on your part Lennier. I have made some errors of judgement as well in this fun game .. Still , all is up for grabs here - is a close game and those are always the best! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: It was time to toss the dice.

Sacrificing his life for the cause was honourable and he was ready to do whatever was needed to carry out his duty.

"You are closest Lennier."
"I know , Delenn."
"Are you ready to do this ?"
"I am."
"Valen be with you , my friend. My special friend."
"And with you , Delenn. And with you."

And with you , my love.

He gave orders to the Navigator to head straight for the large enemy-vessel and as they did so they fired several volleys at the much huger ship. They were fired upon back and the defence-shield on the Whitestar-ship was weakened much even as they struck with force.

In Valens Name

The impact tore a large hole in the back of the mothership and then all was blackness for Lennier.

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Left Bishop D2xF4

Black Pawn G5xF4

Had Shadow language contained curse words, the Monitor would have known a million suitable for this occasion. Appearing from hyperspace, an enemy ship had just rammed the large battle vessel serving as relay node between X'ha'dam and Z'ha'dum.

Moreover, it had done so at the wrong time, when X'ha'dam itself was manouvering under careful control from Z'ha'dum. A thousand years before, Valen had done this on large scale, poking out the Eye itself.

Currently, the Eye still stood, but all operations coordinated from X'ha'dam had collapsed. Which was worse, X'ha'dam was on collision course with a nearby planet, and the Monitor had no means of correcting course.

Realizing the implications for everyone in proximity, it reluctantly gave evacuation orders. Some minutes later, X'ha'dam struck the planet, exploding with intensity characteristic of the largest stars. To the younger races, this would be known as the most unexpected supernova in recent history.

Few would ever guess it had been a Shadow base hitting a planet. Sure, somebody would later suspect, but that person was currently too grief-stricken by having had to ask her friend undertake such a mission.

Without commands relayed from the Eye, Shadow vessels in this sector were free agents of chaos. They would attack anything and everything on their way, including each other. Ironically enough, one of them randomly chose the correct target, heading for Babylon 5.

Black Pawn G5xF4

White Left Castle A1-E1

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: Commander Ivanova , 2nd in command on Babylon 5 , strode purposefully toward Command Centre. She had an idea she wanted to share with Sheridan and Delenn , a possible attack-plan now that they had gotten intelligence-reports on certain activities by the enemy.

It is time for retaliation. But will they be aware of our intentions ? Will we catch them by surprise ?

Entering Command Centre she immediately spotted Sheridan by the strategic forcemovements-board and headed toward him. He saw her and waved for her to come. "Susan , good thing you came. I have some reports I want you to take a look at." He handed her several security-reports which she took in hand but did not look at.

"John" , she began ,"I have an idea I wanted to share with you." Seeing his look of cautious interest she added , "It builds on what you said at our last meeting ... to surprise them , to gain the edge ..".

As she spoke she saw a small smile come upon Sheridan`s worn face and knew inside that she had won through with her proposal.

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Left Castle A1-E1

Black Right Castle D3-E3

"Having resumed my activity as Monitor of Epsilon, by invitation of associate L57," Ziirq wrote, "my first priority shall be undoing the strategic consequences resulting from the loss of X'ha'dam.

Those who deem this Change failed... are wrong. If anyone can sustain losses, adapt to unpredictable situations, it should be us. This Change has not ended yet. Before retreating to rest and consider, we shall achieve our initially set goals.

Regrettable as it may be, in the current state of affairs, achieving those goals means using force. I plan to make extensive use of the Disinfector, so those with anything dear in the Epsilon sectors, take note and move quickly. My first target will be Epsilon 3, used by the enemy Alliance as support and staging area.

Forgive me if those days will not be remembered kindly, but I would not like our last defeat repeating itself. The cost may be high. Achieving an acceptable degree of change will this time bring much destruction. However, this cost is justified."

Black Right Castle D3-E3

White Queen F2-H4

<font color="blue">Roleplay</font color>: Delenn needed some time on her own.

Oh Lennier , my dear , dear friend .. that it should come to this.

She hid her grief well , but Sheridan understood and saw that she needed some solitude. And there was a second matter to be dealt with. And so she took a Whitestar-ship and headed toward the Minbari Homeworld. The crew of the ship quickly understood her mood and left her alone.

Why is sacrifice so hard to bear ? Why is it that those we need the most are the most willing to sacrifice themselves ?

Flying through hyperspace she tried to turn her mind to the war they were fighting but all that came to mind was Lennier`s devoted face. She brushed away a tear from her eye.

You were very special to me , a very special friend - and in another time and place perhaps ...

She left that row of thoughts alone. Pulling herself together , she left her quarters and joined the Captain. She would spend what time she needed grieving , but there was a task at hand , the second reason she had to visit homeworld.

They did not encounter any enemy-ships on the way , the route had after all been reported safe , but there was still a way to go to Minbar and Delenn , Ranger One , took nothing for granted.

<font color="red">Chess-move</font color>: White Queen F2-H4

Back