• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Galactica Season 4 (Spoilers Within)

I love Tigh. He's been one of my favorite from the start. As for the rest of what you said, I can't really disagree. The Baltar deal feels like it's too much, especially since I don't really believe him to save my life. I still think he's a selfish little punk (which is what Baltar is all about,) so this religious deal is just wasting airtime, imho.

My favorite thing to see in a messageboard discussion is when someone gets so fired up about something that they post twice in a row. It's the internet equivalent of raising a fist with the index finger raised high in the air and decalring, "and furthermore..."
That kind of effort requires attention.

So to your two major points, Recoil:

- has the show gotten so far off the rails that we're headed for a major dissappointing, possibly vague ending?
Maybe. But I don't think that's necessarily gonna happen, either. I feel that with the last remaining Cylon, the real relationship between Earth and the 12 colonies, and the true nature of the discordance amongst the Cylons (which started way back in season 2), there's sill plenty of room to wrap this up in a pretty impressive, logical way. I have my own theories...

- socio-political themes over-riding story
Now I'll admit my own personal bias- I don't mind or even like heavy-handed themes in my stories and music. I actually felt that BSG was awkwardly heavy-handed with its BIG MESSAGES since day 1, though, so I don't really notice any increase in that, if there is one.
I actually see that happening more with South Park than BSG, believe it or not.

Related to that- how f'n irritating is Lee Adama? Ok, he has been since season 2, but man... and I agree with him politically! He's like the Michael Moore of BSG now.

Baltar = Byron. I know that comparison has been made before, but man- taking a beating to prove a point, the entourage of creepy groupies. And now, like Jesus, storming the temple! Oh god, and that speech at the end- Lee's disgusted reaction is the first time I liked him in two seasons.

And I think he really did love Callie, he's just grieving and assuming he's only a robot.

He did love her, but that doesn't contradict what he said about how he had to settle for her, either. Chief's brooding has been annoying, but that scene, I really loved- seeing someone admit that kind of stuff. Of course he really love Boomer- sometimes we settle for our second or third choices in life, like he did. In the best of cases, we learn to love them and appreciate them over time, but those hadn't gotten near that point yet.

Oddly enough, I don't hate Tory. Is it because I think she's gorgeous? Maybe- I admit my testosterone biases. But I only truly like maybe 2 or 3 of the regular characters, so some new blood is welcome, even if it's awkward at times.

The four of the final five are aware they are cylons but do you think that in a couple of cases they may be excusing themselves to do bad things purely or partly because they think that's how a cylon should behave... and forgetting what Tigh said about being who they choose to be?

He did love her, but that doesn't contradict what he said about how he had to settle for her, either. Chief's brooding has been annoying, but that scene, I really loved- seeing someone admit that kind of stuff. Of course he really love Boomer- sometimes we settle for our second or third choices in life, like he did. In the best of cases, we learn to love them and appreciate them over time, but those hadn't gotten near that point yet.

You know that is the one scene I actually liked in that episode. You are right, its not that he didn't love her, but that he and frankly everyone, is settling given their current situation, and he didn't pull any punched and called it like it was.

At this point I really REALLY am just hoping they do a good job of wrapping this show up this season and ending it right. I swear if it ends up to be some artsy/fartsy ambiguous ending open to artistic interpretation to people with PHDs, I'm really gonna be pissed.

Totally agree. I hope they do not loose sight of the story in an effort to spell out the big messages, the two things are not mutually exclusive.

What i think was wonderful little revelation was the thing with Baltar. When he was strucked down by guard. It was shown that Six inside Baltar's head really exists. Six lifts Baltar up to be beaten by guard just before Lee arrives. This far what have been shown physical relationship between Baltar and head six in away that Baltar himself could be doing the physical things that he sees six doing, like banging Baltar's head to walls and mirror. But this time it was different and audience and people around Baltar saw it with their own eyes. Women around Baltar are eyes wide when they see Baltar beign lifted by invisible force. Guard has WTF? reaction on his face as he sees the same thing.

That really gives Baltar some religious credibility among his followers. Strengthens their beliefs.

I noticed that as well about Baltar. Weird moment. Either he's a master contortionist or there's something really wild going on.

Maybe he is just mentally doing it to himself, like how Jim Carey lifted himself into that car in "Me, Myself, and Irene"

Or how Spidey lifted himself out of that broken floor when that girl was holding his hand in Spider-Man 2.

Comparisons to Jim Carrey and Spiderman do not restore my faith in this show, gentlemen.

(comedy/movie snob, reporting for duty :) )

I'm not a big Jim Carey fan either, but honestly that scene in "Me, Myself, and Irene" really stood out to me, and when I was watching it for the first time I was like "damn that looked cool, how DOES the guy do that?"

He made it look like his imaginary self picked himself up and tossed himself into a car, which was sort of what the Baltar scene looked like (his imaginary self, or Six, picking him up off the ground).

Well my point was that previously along the series it has looked liked Baltar is doing it to himself, until this point. He is no super human like spiderman and this is not Jim Carrey comedy. Wires were clearly used to get Baltar up, so either he is a cylon wich could possible make that happen or either invisible head six lifted him up as i see no other way Baltar could have lifted himself up from floor in that fashion using no hands at all, with pure leg power.

Either he has some serious psychosis going on which is altering his reality so much that he believes he's being lifted (and contorting his body subconsciously) or there's more than meets the eye.

Who knows. It's Baltar. =) Nothing is ever simple and uncomplicated with him, is it?

Either he has some serious psychosis going on which is altering his reality so much that he believes he's being lifted (and contorting his body subconsciously) or there's more than meets the eye.

Who knows. It's Baltar. =) Nothing is ever simple and uncomplicated with him, is it?

Oh No.......

...I have this terrible, ominous growing feeling that Baltar is going to wake up in his bedroom on Caprica and Patrick Duffy is going to emerge from his shower... and the past four years were just a psychotic dream.

The show cuts to a close up of a bemused Baltar with the caption "to be concluded in the new spin off series... Caprica":p

I'm not sure but I believe that it looking like Baltar was actually being picked up by someone is something to watch for...it's telling. It's a hint of something, we just don't know what yet.

While I guess some people don't like how much this show reflects current events and how much it's become more obvious...I LOVE it. I think it's brilliant. And the writers aren't "preaching." In fact, RM has said that they're showing all sides of things and allowing the audience to draw their own conclusions about the issues. They're not favoring anything or idea. If they were, then you'd have to agree that they were saying, at least to some degree, that they understood the need for terrorists and for people to strap bombs to their chests. But they're not saying that at all. They're showing the motivations and reasonings but really allowing the audience to feel their own feelings about it. That, to me, is brilliant!

This hasn't lost me at all, it intrigues me more and more with each episode because it does make me think...it makes me wonder and it keeps me guessing. After every new ep my roommate and I go outside and discuss it. We always start off on the mysteries and where it could be going and such, but due to its depth and ideology we always end up talking about much more deep subjects; current subjects; religious subjects; cosmological subjects; philosophical subjects...you name it. And that's a large part of what I do like about BSG. The last show that made us do that was B5.

BSG might be a bit more in your face at times about things, but that's just because it's not B5. But that doesn't mean that's a bad tactic...it's just a different one.

This last ep blew me away. I had no problem understanding what I saw, but it did draw me in even more as to where it's going. RM has stated that Baltar's "salvation" is not what this is about, but what's going on with him does lead to something important.

I'm with Alluveal here, I don't know that I buy his apparent salvation and redemption at all. Roslin said it all when she warned of a Baltar lead fanatical religious movement and how dangerous it could be.

Let us not forget the overall story, toward which each of these smaller stories lend themselves. "This has all happened before and it will all happen again."

I can't wait for the next ep! Bring it on!!!!

CE

Last edited:
In fact, RM has said that they're showing all sides of things and allowing the audience to draw their own conclusions about the issues.

I could not agree more. It used to make me laugh out loud when these chachis from the BSG board would whine about how the beginning of S3 made a statement against conservatism and Iraq. Yet, they forget in the first season (or maybe it was the second,) how Roslyn had to sign a bill that outlawed abortion because of the future of the human race. Or, that she's following religious visions (something very much a right-wing idea--a belief in God, etc.)

And the fact that Adama is this bigtime military leader that comes across as very conservative in thinking, yet he's an atheist.

The show takes no sides. That's one reason I love it. It lets you sit there and watch some guy kill himself to blow up a bunch of cylon sympathizers and go, "wow, I understood why he did it."

Not many shows can do that. Not many at all.

Or, that she's following religious visions (something very much a right-wing idea--a belief in God, etc.)

Following religious visions and believing in God are not right-wing ideas.

Well, I have a hard time believing they are left-wing beliefs--especially since a whole LOT of lefties are atheists or completely deny the existence of God. They would laugh someone like Roslyn off the ship. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that religious zealousness came more from one who was more a believer in God (or gods, or whatnot.) I mean, I don't consider the suicide bombers in the Middle East to be liberal-thinking people here--but people dead set in their religious fundamentalism (which I see as a strong conservative notion.)

I dunno. Elaborate more. I'm not seeing your point yet. But maybe I can if you go a little further?

Back