• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trek XI Set for Xmas 2008 release

Paramount has stated that this move was not a result of the schedule shuffling being done by the studios now that the writer's strike is over, but is instead a big vote of confidence in the film, stating that it will stand with Star Wars and Transformers for summer fare. This is a reinvigoration of the franchise and while it does appear to involve some time travel, it is, according to Roberto Orci (one of the writers) very true to canon and has a script that has been praised by all who've read it, from Nimoy to Eric Bana and many industry folk.

I personally, am looking very much forward to this, as I believe it will revive the franchise and take it to the grand and more epic scale it should've always been given. That is what JJ and company hope to do with it is take Trek to the level of Star Wars and sci-fi epic.

What I've heard from those involved so far sounds like they're all very dedicated to doing just that. They're all very excited and that excitement is spreading.

As for this release date change, I view it as a huge compliment.

CE

I personally, am looking very much forward to this, as I believe it will revive the franchise and take it to the grand and more epic scale it should've always been given. That is what JJ and company hope to do with it is take Trek to the level of Star Wars and sci-fi epic.

What I've heard from those involved so far sounds like they're all very dedicated to doing just that. They're all very excited and that excitement is spreading.

CE

But how will a film involving the original crew breathe new life into the franchise? Unless they actually do a series of films or a series on t.v. with the "younger" Kirk, Spock, McCoy, etc.

And that would be rather sad to me. But if they use an entirely new cast, isn't there an expected loss of interest then? As to this movie pleasing certain people: that's no guarantee, especially for the original actors who I assume feel at least flattered for the renewed attention.

I'm glad to hear the writing is good, this one movie may be worth watching. What I don't see is how it will stir new interest in a new series of movies or shows.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it does work. I don't trust new Trek like I used to, at all. But I am more than willing to check it out (if not in theaters, then later on DVD) if it doesn't sound too awful.

Hyp, I don't really understand your question. Batman, Transformers, Battlestar Galactica- all have been re-imagined, re-cast and hugely successful. Why not Star Trek?

I think all of the remaking is a sign of lack of guts in Hollywood. I'm saying I don't care if they do it with "Batman". But I hate seeing Trek fade into remakes with a different actor playing "Kirk" each time.

But I guess that's why I don't find myself motivated to see what passes for science fiction in the theaters these days. It's safe, sterile, and I just have to hope that somehow Trek will avoid this fate.

Trek is supposed to be about forging into the future, adventure, and exploration. But to do that takes the guts to try something new, and to try it with new people, and good writers.

As I've said from the start: I'll wait on this one, and hear from others just how imaginative and original it is. If it's gone the way of "Batman" then I guess my days as a Trek fan will be history.

There are people supplying ideas, it's just getting funding for them that seems to be the tricky part (and always will be, I suppose). Especially when everything made must be a complete blockbuster to be considered a success.

I was speaking with a friend about the "Godfather" trilogy of movies (we'll likely be renting them soon, it's been awhile since I've seen more than snippets of it).

Imagine if "The Godfather, part II" had been envisioned like this:

"Hmm, let's take the Marlon Brando character, and cast a young Marlon Brando imitator in his place. We could do a story of his teenage years..."

Now, don't get me wrong, such an idea might possibly make a good movie. But how much better to see "The Godfather" be a saga that spanned generations.

And once someone was dead, they stayed dead. :LOL:

Ah, the good old days. ;)

Imagine if "The Godfather, part II" had been envisioned like this:

"Hmm, let's take the Marlon Brando character, and cast a young Marlon Brando imitator in his place. We could do a story of his teenage years..."

Um... Isn't that pretty much exactly what happened?

That was the generations of his family, wasn't it? I admit, it's been awhile since I've seen the second or third film, and the plot of course was always a variation on a theme, but IIRC the Godfather saga was the tracing of a crime family from generation to generation, wasn't it?

And I did like the bit with the brother being spared... until mamma died.

Hyp,

I don't know how to calm your fears for this new Trek venture except to suggest you go over to Trekmovie.com and read the conversations with the cast and crew and JJ. Abrams while on the set. Most Trek fans are getting more and more excited daily as new info comes out and as they discover just how dedicated Abrams and crew are to reinvigorating and bringing Gene's vision back to life in a new and exciting way, making it more "real" as JJ put it.

James Cawley, the creator or Star Trek: New Voyages, who was originally somewhat and understandably trepidacious about this new film and where it seemed they were going with it, was asked to visit the set (and even got a small part). After spending 3 days on the set with JJ Abrams he now says he believes Trek is in the right hands and is amazed at everyone's desire to make this according to Gene's original vision and true to canon and is excited at the energy and passion and revery they all have for Gene's original series vision and characters.

Most of the fans have gotten over their initial fears of recasting and the cast has stated they're dedicated to their parts like never before, making sure they carry in their performances the spirits of the original actors (some of whom have also visited the set and have given excited blessings to the new endeavor).

This is a reinvention but even Orci has stated that no term really explains the film and how it works (staying true canon while reimagining the Trek verse). JJ has stated clearly that he's fully aware of the responsibility he and his cast and crew carry and don't ever want to be the ones known for killing Trek. Everyone who's seen the shooting and talked to those involved come away excited and with a sense of passion and renewal, something Trek has long needed.

As for the future of Trek, yes this is supposed to bring Trek up to new levels and open it up to new fans. It's a film that you won't have to be a fan to understand and considering the breadth and scope of the story will set it up for new fans to run to the original series to see what happened to these people later. They are (Paramount and Abrams and crew) clearly hoping this turns into a continuing series of films. I hope they've got a trilogy and continuing story planned because, to me, that's what makes for the best sequels. I've gotten the impression reading Orci's statements that they do have some clear vision of where they want Trek to go from here.

Paramount's move of this to May '09 is a very big vote of confidence. This film is a big one, no doubt. I can't wait to see their vision...their new vision of Gene's vision brought back to life and finally as it's always deserved...as an epic sized tale more in line with Star Wars and LOTR. That's part of their vision and I, for one, can't wait!

CE

Last edited:
Well, enjoy the movie. As I've said, I'm just one who can wait.

I hope the movie works out well for everyone who is geared up to see it. Tough about the delay in releasing it, but that's the movie world, eh? :)

I'm not going to lie. I'm probably seeing it opening weekend. I am excited and hopeful that this will turn out extremely well. Confidence has grown to where I believe that to be the case.

Just to add some comments after reading CE's post.

At first I was a bit nervous about JJ Abrams being handed the franchise. And I was nervous even though I have been a fan of his work. I liked the show Alias --- for about 2 seasons until it went downhill (I think he started looking to other projects then). Lost started out big but faded quickly in the third season, and I was worried that it would tank like Alias did. However Lost rebounded nicely by mid Season 3 and has been strong ever since. I realize his involvement in the show is nil these days, but still, it spoke to projects he started, but didn't continue strong with. So I had a bit of nervousness about him.

However his movie projects have been solid. Mission Impossible III was well done. Kept with the spirit of the original, but he gave it a more "real and human" feel to it. Better characterization, while keeping the action and pace of the original. This, to me, was a good sign for what he might do with Star Trek.

I think though, my latest sign I think he will do well, was with Cloverfield.

I think a lot of people have criticized this movie, but I really enjoyed it and thought i was well done. Yea, there was a LOT of hype prior to its release which probably made it harder for people to get behind. However the story was well told. There was some great dialogue and characterization, and many very HUMAN moments in the movie --- very much a rarity for monster movies. There was also some subtleness and intelligence to the movie --- if you cared to pay attention to it. Many people just walked out going "WTF they didn't explain anything" when really, (a) that wasn't the point, it was about the characters and how we live our lives and ultimately treat each other when it comes down to it, and (b) he DID drop clues as to how and when things started to happen if you paid attention.

So projects he is involved with do have some very good human elements and characterization, so that excites me to what he could do with "Gene's" vision of Trek, which was along those same lines.

It is started to look more and more like a better fit.

Ditto, Recoil. I've been reading a lot of what the writers, JJ the crew and cast have been saying from the beginning and on throughout the shoot. What I've read has only made me feel better and better about the film and his vision for Trek. As for LOST and why it's gotten better is because JJ did return for S3 and was instrumental in working out the full storyline when they decided to go ahead and lay it all out for 6 seasons. So he has been very much a part of LOST and its story arc.

As for Cloverfield, I loved it. I've not heard anyone talking it down though. It did well in the box and a sequel is under way. Everyone I've talked to about it also loved it and thought it was a small little surprise gem.

Yes, he's very interested in character and story and the human element. It bodes well for Trek.

CE

Well I was pretty harsh and cynical about the whole enterprise (hahahahlolshuddup) but now I've been turned around by the hype and the people making it seeming to say all the right things.

If it turns about bad, I'll be a very sad boy.

Well I was pretty harsh and cynical about the whole enterprise (hahahahlolshuddup) but now I've been turned around by the hype and the people making it seeming to say all the right things.

If it turns about bad, I'll be a very sad boy.

You and me both. But I've got a good feeling about this.

CE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back