• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Tonight's Lost (Did anyone notice?)

Recoil

Regular
Tonight\'s Lost (Did anyone notice?)

When they were showing Jin first walk into the Secretary's house...and he walked past the daughter watching TV. I could have SWORN I saw Hurley on that TV (looked like a car commercial). Anyone else see that?

Speaking of Hurley, I like the way they ended it, with the music stopping --- Hurley's batteries running out. Funny stuff.

Re: Tonight\'s Lost (Did anyone notice?)

Funny, I knew exactly what you were referring to when I read the title. Yeah, I noticed Hurley too. I thought I may have been seeing things at first, but for some reason I was taping it. I went back and watched it again, and it sure does look like Hurley. I'm sure that'll explain itself before too long, possibly next week, as it looks like it could finally be Hurley's ep.

SPOILERS
I liked how they tied the first Sun/Jin episode into this one. I wasn't quite sure who Jin was, but it appears he was a member of the Korean mafia.

I was pretty surprised to learn that Walt was the one that burned the boat. He says he's tired of always moving and wants to stay there. I guess he's forgotten about the polar bear that tried to kill him and whatever the hell else is out there.

Yea I think the Walt twist was kinda weak. Ok I can understand not wanting to move and shit, but YOU ARE STRANDED ON A FREAKIN ISLAND.

Not sure many kids would take the same steps he did...

Oddly enough, I knew right off it was Walt.
I even got the (stated) reason right.

Jin's being a schmuck. He got the new life he wanted and now he's holding a grudge. I want to see those two get happy.

I like how they had Jin hearing gibberish. Guess he can't speak English after all (except BOAT).

Looks like the guys are playing in Mira's booby-trap playground next week.

I was shocked that they revealed who burned the boat/raft last night. I was expecting that to come out at the same time it eventually comes out who hit Sayid upside the head. I personally didn't see it coming that it was Walt. To be honest, I think they're damned lucky the raft did burn up. They have no clue where they are, and compasses likely don't work, so, I don't think it's a real good idea to be just floating away on the raft. It never worked for Gilligan and his 6 friends, what makes Michael believe it wouldd work for them?

Jin, he is being a complete prick, but, on another note, he's being a really good guy. After all the strife and battles to the death with Michael, and he shows up with Bamboo to start building the raft again, that was a class act. I really think Jin understands English, unless Sun spoke English for our benefit when she was pleading with him and saying she was going to leave him, he seemed to understand 100%. And the other week when Hurley said she was HOTT, he reacted in a knowing way. I think Sun and Jin will get beyond this, unless they end up on opposite teams if/when they split into two competing factions.

Yep, Hurley is next week. They are finally starting to open up the lens a bit, showing Sawyer in the Police Station in Boone's flashback, and then Sawyer's flashback showing Jack's dad, now Hurley on TV in Jin's flashback, and next week is Hurley, and I'm sure it will expand on what we saw last night.

Mira Furlan returns next week as Danielle, and then we have reruns through the rest of March.

Here's a photo of it I saw posted on another board I frequent.

HurleyTV.jpg

Posted along with the picture on this other board was this:

Korean Translation of what is on the TV:

Top Line = "Lucky winner"
Second word = "Los Angeles"
Third word = "California"

To be honest, I think they're damned lucky the raft did burn up. They have no clue where they are, and compasses likely don't work, so, I don't think it's a real good idea to be just floating away on the raft.
Sailing, mind you... not floating. Pacific islanders crossed notable distanced in their catamarans -- without a compass (besides: once you get out of a magnetic anomaly, it generally starts to work fine), without a picture of the Pacific Ocean with currents and airplane routes in their mind.

But to make it anywhere... a good knowledge of engineering, navigation, food preservation and fishing would be recommended.

I dare say... if they really wanted, they *could* sail away... but they would need notable luck.

Oddly enough, I knew right off it was Walt.
I initially thought it was Locke.

Maybe Hurley's a reality TV star. Either way, I think we're getting his backstory tonight. You don't have setup like that without payoff (oh, wait, yes you do.)

Sun was speaking Korean -- they just made it into English for that last speech, possibly to make it resonate more with English-speakers. I thought it actually detracted from the moment.

Sun was speaking Korean -- they just made it into English for that last speech, possibly to make it resonate more with English-speakers. I thought it actually detracted from the moment.

Really? I thought she WAS speaking in English. I mean they have them speak in Korean the entire rest of the time with subtitles, I guess I figured that scene would be no different. Thats what they get though when they do things one way a whole season, have someone revealed that they speak english, then pull a Star Trek VI with the language switching to English Mid scene. It worked in ST VI, but not in Lost because they already established they do that sort of thing differently. They just made it confusing and we all assumed it was English...

What made it weirder...is didn't he reply to her in Korean that "Its too late" with the subtitles?

Really poorly handled...

I was under the impression that she DID talk in English, and that he did NOT understand her. It seemed he was merely responding to her speaking in English again, not to what she was actually saying.

Which would mean he did NOT understand her when she said "I was thinking about leaving you," but rather only understood the "I want to start over" part, which was then found to be exactly what he wanted based on the flashback right after that.

I think FreeBaGeL has it right. I'm pretty sure she did talk in English when talking to Jin.

OK

Another LOST special tonight. MORE FUCKING MYSTERIES AND QUESTIONS AND NO ANSWERS AT ALL. I love how when Hurley was talking to Danielle he got all mad and said I JUST WANT ANSWERS. Don't even tell me that wasn't a jab to the fan base who is growing ever impatient.

The numbers piece was cool and all, and I liked Hurleys backstory, but Danielle's appearance seemed almost wasted. Like, if you were able to talk to her as a sane person SPEND SOME TIME AND LEARN FROM HER! Dont just walk back and say "Hey Danielle says hi." They do a lot of gay stuff like that in this show and its really annoying. Hell even Hurley said "Theres this weird beast, and no one has gone out looking for it...which is kind of strange...but Im just going with the flow." Yea these writers do lots of dumb stuff like that.

Lastly, probably to me the MOST annoying thing about this show, is how the people DONT FREAKIN TALK TO EACH OTHER. If they would just open their mouths they would be able to find so much out. But no, everyone has to keep quiet about everything to preserve the mystery. I can tell you one thing. If I was ever on an island with about 40 people --- espeically one with all that weird shit we would be threatened by so many strange things --- you can damn well be sure that there would be DAILY MEETINGS regarding anything and everything learned. Like Sheridan's War Council in B5. A lack of information kills. Well they arent lacking info...they just arent putting it together.

All Hurley had to fucking say was "Hey, I know those numbers Saied, they are the same numbers I picked for my lottery numbers, and here is how I came to use them." Locke can then say "Hey, I saw those numbers too, they were on the door that I discovered. (Frankly the fact a door was discovered would be huge in the first place).

Its just so fucking lame that they do this for no other reason than to not tell you anything. It really defies common sense.

Meh.

Seriously, this season is almost over Im assuming. If there isn't some fucking satisfaction in the Season finale, this show is getting removed from my TIVO record list and I am not tuning in next season AT ALL. I think we all know most season cliffhangers are big hanging questions, but in this shows case if there isnt some fucking revealing going on...Im out like a fat dude (Hurley) in dodgeball.

I haven't watched this episode yet.

And though, perhaps, I would likewise hope to see some questions answered... my patience will suffice to wait a notable while longer.

On other notes... I heard that DVD disks will be available in Autumn. Might not matter to those who can watch it firsthand... but to those who are currently acquiring it via "other channels"... it finally offers an opportunity to contribute to supporting this show.

(And naturally, every conveniently available story on DVD media which Mira helps to tell... is inevitably on my wishlist for obtaining on quality media.)

Standard procedure here:

New mysteries unveiled: 1
Mysteries resolved: 0

And I COMPLETELY agree with your point about people not telling each other things Recoil. There are sooooooooo many times when I'm watching this show that I'm just thinking "why the hell doesn't he just TELL him."

Like you said, if I was stranded on an island with all this weird sh*t going on, you can bet that I would want to know all the strange stuff people found, and that I'd be telling everyone all the strange stuff I found/know, so we could all figure out what the heck is going on.

On some occasions, it seems natural that *particular* characters won't share information.

However, upon other situations... this might have been extended further than is easily believable.

I thought last night's episode was alright. I did start to get a little annoyed at all the 'bad luck' that kept happening to Hurley. I thought the thing with the numbers was pretty cool though, from where it started and where it went to where it ended up.

It is pretty frustrating to think that all these people aren't sharing information and it seems like almost everyone's personal life from before the island isn't discussed amongst each other either.

I think sleepy's right in that some people wouldn't naturally just share info with certain others.

I thought that was really cool of Locke making that cradle for Claire. I never really thought about the types of things they'd need for the baby.

I don't know if this was just overly obvious and that's why it hasn't been mentioned, but I thought it was pretty clear from that episode that Hurley was formerly thought of as 'crazy.' I'm not just talking about the people calling him crazy because he thought the numbers were cursed, I'm talking certifiably, locked up, insane.

When he goes to see Leonard the doctor says "Welcome back" and "I didn't realize you and Leonard spent much time together" or something to that effect. He also mentions early on to his mother that "she deserves it after all he's put her through." He also seems to take more offense to Charlie calling him crazy than someone who's simply sick of hearing it because he thinks there's a curse.

I see what you're saying but I haven't really caught on to any of that. When the doctor welcomed him back I wasn't really sure how he meant it. My guess is that he used to be a patient as was kind of implied, but I also thought that maybe he volunteered there from time to time. I think it's probably the former.

I was pretty sure he was a patient there, yeah. And I did understand, in this particular case, why he wasn't eager to share his reasons for finding the French woman, at least before finding her and getting a chance to talk to her - he was probably quite fed up with people thinking he's crazy. Besides, as we saw, he was actually trying to talk to Charlie afterwards, and that didn't help much. :rolleyes:

I was a lot more annoyed with Charlie for not listening than with Hurley for not telling there, although of course it must have sounded insane to Charlie - the least he could have done was to listen him out though.

Otherwise, I actually really liked the episode. Strangely, I'm not anywhere near losing patience with this show (and I usually tend to lose patience with things quickly). I guess I don't mind the mystery still being a mystery (I do want a payoff eventually, but it doesn't need to be quick) and so far, I'm almost taking it more as a character show than an action/mystery show.

So this episode felt quite satisfying to me in the sense that after a few that felt more like just character-stories, this was again "moving somewhere" in the big story. We did get another few little pieces, even if they just add to the mystery, instead of taking us anywhere near solving it. I also have a feeling that this particular show might lose its point once the mystery is solved - it is called Lost, after all, and so far it has been about .. being lost. I agree though that we should start getting some answers at some point, but for now, I can still wait. :D

Very good episode. Hurley seems to have been cursed since he used the numbers. :) Wonder what will happen next week?

Tibbetts

Back