• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

R2 B5 Releases

Well they did manage it, not one single set matches up to another set in the releases they made. My congratulations to WB for the consistant inconsistancy!

Also the fact it misses off the teaser for 'Fall of Centuri Prime', the 'complete' word on the box is infact a lie.

I am making an issue of that, first time i've seen the episode and after seeing the previous episode was desperate to skip on to the next scene - only to see Centauri Prime in ruins and some Drakh appear. Anyone want to explain the previous scene to me?

I am a B5 fan through the releases of these DVDs, its just a shame they couldnt have done a slightly better job of the DVDs themselves.

Let me see, dodgy cgi scenes on the S2 disks, poor image quality ovreall on S1. Changing the box format every time, crappy morphing menus, a minbari curiser upside down on the S2 booklet and other dodgy works of art on the covers (starfurys using beam weapons!!) and least we forget, a truncated movies set!! Why!!!

I do love the US trailers for each episode though. i want to speak like that guy...

"on the next.... BABYLON.. FIIIVE!!"

I am making an issue of that, first time i've seen the episode and after seeing the previous episode was desperate to skip on to the next scene - only to see Centauri Prime in ruins and some Drakh appear. Anyone want to explain the previous scene to me?

:eek: I didn't believe that at first, but I've just checked ahead and its true.. I'm guessing perhaps they just ran out of space on the DVD (this is the first one to have to fit in 2 commentary tracks as well as 3 hours of episodes).

From memory, the teaser started with a recap of the previous episode, then there was some CG of the bombing of Centauri Prime, followed by a brief scene between Londo and the Regent in which the Drakh appeared. There might also been a short scene of Sheridan on the White Star, but I'm not sure..

I'm pissed off. I don't really care about ships being upside down (all the UK season 3 vhs releases featured large promotional images of the station upside down, after all.. and is there really an 'up' in space anyway?) Cutting bits off episodes is pushing it a bit in my book..

I'm pissed off. I don't really care about ships being upside down (all the UK season 3 vhs releases featured large promotional images of the station upside down, after all.. and is there really an 'up' in space anyway?) Cutting bits off episodes is pushing it a bit in my book..

Yeah ... we still await the "complete" 5th season release!

:p

Everyone who's brought the set, please either call 0207 9845000 or email whvcustserv@emsi.echomail.com, the more who do it, the more likely we'll get a response and a replacement disc. How can you miss out 3 minutes of an episode and let it be pressed!!!!!!

Londo finally meeting the Drakh-it`s the most dramatic scene in the whole season-and the start`s missing!Does JMS sound a bit surprised when his commentary starts at the credits?And the R2 scene index is very jumbled- it looks like a mistake...But what`s missing you can fill in with your imagination-I think it`s still watchable....But no longer great.

Season 3 was the last R2 set I bought. Then they changed the packaging with Season 4, so I switched to R1. I'm glad I avoided them, from what I'm hearing, they never learn! I honestly don't think WHV actually *have* a quality control department.

When someone was listing the R2 mistakes a few posts again, they forgot to mention the first shipments of Season 2, with the French sleeve notes :p

Something that intrigues me about this missing teaser for The Fall of Centauri Prime (which my wife was really angry about - and she doesn't normally react like that) ...

This episode has a commentary by JMS, which begins, as does the episode, at the start of the credits with his usual greeting "Hi, this is Joe Straczynski" and then goes off to explain the thinking behind the S5 credits and dialogue snippets.

Apparently the R1 sets do have the teaser, so presumably the commentary has also been editted down to still fit the episode without the teaser. That would mean that the omission was a deliberate act on the part of WHV and not some kind of cockup, in which case the appropriate response would have to begin with WTF?

Can anyone with an R1 set fill us in on this?

Cheers,

That's why I speculated they had run out of space on the disc since it has 2 commentary tracks, and that hasn't happened on any previous disc. But if the R1 disc is complete.. :confused:

Is there perhaps some technical reason that might mean you can squeeze more onto an R1 disc than an R2 disc? If so that might explain why they edited it, although I'd still be mad..

That's why I speculated they had run out of space on the disc since it has 2 commentary tracks, and that hasn't happened on any previous disc. But if the R1 disc is complete.. :confused:

Is there perhaps some technical reason that might mean you can squeeze more onto an R1 disc than an R2 disc? If so that might explain why they edited it, although I'd still be mad..

Dual layered DVD gives you roughly 9.4 gigabytes of space. On B5 S2 boxset only 6.9 gigabytes was used on disc 5. So based on that, I will answer "no". Free space wasn't the issue here. And to be honest, they've enough space there still left to put an DTS 6.1 soundtrack for every episode. I don't know why they did this, I don't have even a slightest clue. It's a mystery, complete, total mystery. WHV fucked up totally.

Technical reasons are second to none. Although we know that PAL video is.. what about 2-4% (don't remember the exact number) prolonged to its NTSC counterpart... well, it would fall back again to that "free space on disc" -category. And since there is enough free space still left... I recall the mystery once more.

Apparently the R1 sets do have the teaser, so presumably the commentary has also been editted down to still fit the episode without the teaser. That would mean that the omission was a deliberate act on the part of WHV and not some kind of cockup, in which case the appropriate response would have to begin with WTF?

Can anyone with an R1 set fill us in on this?

There is definitely commentary from JMS during the teaser. He talks about how, when he thought there'd be no season 5, he was sad because this episode drew the Londo and Londo/G'Kar stories to a close. He also talks about how important it was for the Lennier/Delenn story to be shown too. THEN, he talks about the main title sequence.

Sorry, folks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back