• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ever encounter this reaction? ......I have.

(jms is asked if he is involved in a new "He-Man" show)

No, I'm not involved with the new show. I watched the first ep out of curiosity, and it felt like a high school reunion of people you never thought you'd see again.

Funnily enough, while at ComicCon, I went by the booth advertising the new He-Man series and mentioned to one of the folks there that I used to write for the show.

Not having any idea who I was, he looked at me with something akin to pity in his eyes, as if this was the one big thing I'd ever done and I had come by to relive that moment of accomplishment...and he asks if I did anything after that, and I said Babylon 5...he didn't have a clue what it was and said, "So, did that work out okay for you?"

If he hadn't been sitting in a chair I would'e hit him with it.

jms

JMS should have realized that there are some people out there who have no idea who he is, or what he's done - even in the "community," so to speak.

He should be grateful for that... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Sounds a bit egotistical to get annoyed with someone for not knowing about B5. The fact is that most sci-fi shows are unheard of by the vast majority of people with the exception of the really big ones like Star Trek and Dr. Who. Babylon 5 is a fairly obscure show known mainly to the fans of the genre. It is sad but true.

If I had poured my life into something as immense as B5 then have someone pity me for doing so, I'd be fuming mad as well. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Yep! And just think of what the masses who have never seen a B5 episode are missing. They are the ones we should feel sorry for. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Well, he could well have said...Spiderman comic. His current successful project...but then the rube behind the table would have thought of the movie. Like Joe, the guy was so involved with his own project that perhaps the rest of the world faded away and the blinders were on.
Perhaps JMS was a bit egotistical...what would he have hit him with? Don't think he was carrying around the station or even a model of it.
We can just say that someone important met with someone who was clueless.
Having been to Comic Con that weekend, I can vouch for the fact that so many people wandering around made for very tired and frustrated wits by the end of one day. Add to that having to be on a panel or two...even if it is talking about your stuff. Winning two Hugos is nothing to sneeze at, and depending on when this event happened, JMS had won an Eisner that Saturday night for his Spiderman comic work.
For JMS B5 was the biggest thing to happen in his life. It took ten years to get it on tv, then five years struggle to keep it going. Can you beleive that this year marks the tenth anniversary of B5's original airdate? Another ten years whisked by.
Perhaps it made JMS stop and think afterward, and remembered his own words. In the episode where Franklin and Marcus had gotten into the Mars resistance and they're talking about the Shadow War The guys in the car with them had no idea what they were talking about. But it was a life and death situation to Marcus and Franklin. There were other things on peoples minds that were struggles of their own.
The universe is a big place, and on our little corner of the planet in our corner of the universe, our lives were changed forever by a man who wasn't recognized by another man who may never know the same level of fame.

(IF that made any sense at all...good. If it devolved into late night incoherencies..my apologies.)

PM

Yes, that did make sense. I would think that conventions would kind of take it out of someone. They must be exhausting.

We also know JMS can have a bit of short fuse from time to time anyhow. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Actually, the worst I've ever heard has come from Harlan Ellison.

Back