• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What was the episode that got you hooked ?

Saw the pilot...The gathering, well it was not that very good, but the idea was exciting, so I was pleased to see the series for one season in tv, then they showed no more, bought all the videos back then, now I will get all the DVD's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
So I have been a fan since 93/94 I guess?!?

Seems just about everyone kind of blew off the pilot. It was the same for me. I remember hearing about a new sci fi show and thought I'd tune in because at the time there wasn't anything but Trek on. I caught bits and pieces of the pilot and thought it was way too wierd. Those wierd guys with the big hair! What's that all about?! I was busy with life for the next year and when the pilot came on again to intro the series I caught it again, my nephew (a teenager at the time) was watching it and I asked him wasn't that a movie..and he said yeah, but it was going to be a series. I was busy with going to school and only caught bits and pieces of the first season. When I heard that Bruce B. was going to be in the second season...that's really what got me hooked! LOL! I'd been following his career since the 70's.
As for what episode....I remember seeing Delenn come into the council chamber and uncover her head...and my jaw dropped. Now I'm a straight female, but I thought she was gorgeous, and I loved the way all the guys looked at her!
It's been so long since the first time I saw those episodes, the emotions and thoughts are all jumbled. Comes the Inquisitor and Severed Dreams are standouts for keeping me watching and making sure I had a fresh tape in the vcr. I even skipped out on the second half of drafting class so I could get home in time to catch it, and make sure my kids didn't screw up taping it!

I watched from the start as well, not religiously mind you, but with that "I'll give this show a chance" attitude. I liked the pilot, warts and all, and remained interested when the series started. I think I really started to get hooked with "And the Sky is Full of Stars". It got the mystery going, and featured a better than average performance by Michael O'Hare. If that hadn't done it, I certainly would have been reeled in and flopping on the deck after "Signs and Portents" and "Babylon Squared". I actually missed "Crysalis" on the first go round /forums/images/icons/mad.gif and didn't see it until about a year later.

I don't have a specific episode that got me hooked either, but I just grew to love it. I watched the 1st season in full when B5 came out, but when Sinclair was replaced by Sheridan I got pissed off and stopped watching the show. I only restarted watching it when B5 was done and it was the reruns. I was channel surfing when I got to a B5 episode somewhere in the 2nd season and thought that Sheridan wasn't all that bad, so I continued watching it and got hooked.

At 6pm, one evening in the 90's I meandered home from whatever I was doing, retreated up into my bedroom with my dinner. Flicking through the channels, I stumbled across an episode of a highly charged political science fiction programme, the episode was "Midnight on the Firing Line." The programme was Babylon 5. I bumped into the 1st season opener purely by accident.

I really enjoyed it, and made sure I tuned in avidly every week. Every so often along the way, something struck me and made me want to remain completely enamoured of the series. And the Sky Full of Stars really caught me because of the subtle references to C.S. Lewis's Silver Chair (not sure if they were intentional, but they probably were.) Further along the road and Signs and Portents convinced me that there was something very special about this show and I should hold onto it with both hands tightly clenched.

By the time we reached Babylon Squared, that was it, there was no turning back. I was enchanted by the character's, writing and drama.

The cruiser that did the ramming in Severed Dreams was the Churchill by the way. Unusual name for an Omega as most of them seem to be named after Greek legends/heroes.

I started watching it late in the series /forums/images/icons/mad.gif and so it was "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi"

During the summer of, I guess it would be '98, since that was when season 5 was going, my friend would have in on the tv sometimes when I was over. I never really watched it, as I remember having some bias against it from way back when I was a kid. I just kinda brushed it off.

However, one day I was flipping through the guide, and I saw that b5 was going to be on. I thought, "what the hell?" Lets watch it and at least make fun of it. The episode was "Passing through Gesthemane". I was hooked, and that's all there is too it /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I have been a Trek fan, for a very long time, and B5 was "that other show"

I saw the episode "A voice in the wilderness" on TNT. The thing that was most interesting to me at the time were the special FX. I had never seen a TV show with that type of FX.The next day I tuned in for part 2, and liked it alot.

A few years later, I heard from a friend of a friend that the Sci-Fi channel was going to run B5 through its entire 5 year run. I thought that was great, because I hate jumping in the middle of a series. A few days later I came accross web page that gave a review of B5 that made it sound like the perfect show for me. Anyway, I watched the entire series, 5 days a week for its entire run of the SciFi channel, and loved every bit of it.

As for a specific episode that got me hooked, it was "Chrysalis". The idea that things change and the show will never be the same after this episode was fantasic.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Originally posted by jnk5y:
Saw the intro of season two i think and thought to myself what a cheesy low budget show.

[/quote]
I'm quoting myself /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Anyway, i remember it's the season 1 intro and the part where sinclair says ... "and the name of the place is Babylon 5"
It still sounds cheesy to me.

I am, so to speak, a child of B5 you could say. Since I was 10 at the most when it started I can't tell you whuch episode started me, but it was the first one as far as I know.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif B5 born and bred /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I don't have any specific episode. I got into Babylon 5 when The Gathering aired the first time in Germany and watced it from then on. And now I still love the show, although I only remember a few scenes from the first seasons (I was too young then and haven't had a chance to see the first seasons again /forums/images/icons/frown.gif )

I've been watching B5 ever since the Gathering premiered in Oct98. I didn't really enjoy the pilot and almost fell asleep when it was rebroadcast earlier this month; boy jms was really screwed over by that horrible director Richard Crompton.
I continued watching S1 and Believers left my brains smashed over the back wall. I was a huge trekkie at the time, but by the end of the season I was telling my friends that B5 was the better quality show, even though I enjoyed trek better at the time(what was I thinking?). Somewhere between Points and Coming of Shadows I realised that this was the greatest story ever told.

I wonder what the initial fan reactions were when the pilot premiered in the US? I mean here jms had been hyping this show on the internet for a few years, saying how he's got a quality team put together and he delivers such an atrocious movie. It was incredily slow and boring.

I wouldn't say it was the best story ever told, but it was a damned good one. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Flicking through the channels, I stumbled across an episode of a highly charged political science fiction programme, the episode was "Midnight on the Firing Line." The programme was Babylon 5. I bumped into the 1st season opener purely by accident.

[/quote]

Exactly what happened to me back in 96' (around 0:30 AM !). I was 13 years old, and definitely not a sci-fi fan. I wasn't even considering getting into that stuff.
But fate manages /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.
So "Midnight on the Firing Line" made me watch every night ever since (and as a result sleeping through most of school), and in the middle of S2 I was deadly hooked.
The funny thing is that I was sure I missed a lot of episodes before "Midnight on the Firing Line", only to find out that the only episode was the pilot wich I loved, but that was after being hooked!
MoP5

It is really fun and satisfying reading about everyone's stories..most are very similar. But when I see two or three fans that started watching when they were 10 or 13...and then realize that it's only been since '98.
First it's just boggling how time flies when you're having fun. Second, kids are getting hooked!

I kind of feel like Lorien, talking to Sheridan about the younger races. Most of us, (I'd like to think) are 'seasoned' scifi watchers. In other words...30+ or at the youngest in mid 20's.
It's so rare hearing about teens that are interested in sci fi other than japanimation or computer/video games. I'm sure that's still an interest, but because of the nature of B5, and the way it was written, it opens a whole new perspective of deeper thinking and an appreciation of quality story writing rather than the MTV Short Attention Span Theater mentality.
I am applauding the much younger and new generation that is discovering B5. Unlike Trek, it is done. But there is always hope in a 'next generation' perhaps that we can all discover together. And one day you'll be the ones saying, "I remember when Babylon 5 was on, I'd finish my homework and dinner so I could watch it." to the next generation down the road.

As Tolkien and JMS have said, "The road goes ever on."

My wife and I have basically the same story to tell on this one. We started watching right from the start (allowing for the fact that C4 in the UK didn't show the pilot until well into S2 I think), and tried to not miss it but it wasn't that big a deal if we missed one.

I think we only missed 3 in the first season: "TKO" because it appeared late on an unexpected night because of all that nasty violence, "Signs and Portents" and "And the Sky Full of Stars".

However, we were immediately hooked after first watching "Babylon Squared" because here was confirmation that this show was different from Trek and others in that each episode was a part of something bigger.

I daresay if we hadn't missed S&P or ATSFOS we would have been hooked earlier!

/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

The 2nd episode "Soul Hunter" had my attention perked a bit and "Parliment Of Dreams" did so even more but when I saw "Believers" I knew I was hooked, I expected the usual came up with a happy answer to save the day ending all the other Treks and such shows would give and was very shocked to see the actual outcome....

That's when I knew B5 had the potential to be the best show on television, and I was right and...it was, hell, still is IMO, nothing has matched it yet in my mind....

Kin_of_zathras, why not fork out a little dosh and get to choose your avatar. I thought it was a really good idea at the time, but I can't find the exit button on my encounter suit now.

By the way do you want an avatar of Zathras, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras or Zathras? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back