B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old July 27th 14, 19:49   #11
Ubik
Ranger

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger phil View Post
reading on facebook and such, some fans saying they wont go and see it because the cast might change? jeezus. It didn't do star trek the reboot any harm did it? Also the story might change a little. So what? B5 is B5 - the series. Just like the Game of thrones books are different from the TV series. Each is it's own thing. We still have the TV series. We are now getting a feature film with a (rumoured) very decent budget.

What is there not to like here?
There's always a strata of fandom that really likes to complain if anything deviates from their beloved show. They clearly fear change. Whilst their devotion to the original cast is sweet, it's also deeply unrealistic to think they're the right people to carry a B5 feature, 20 years on from the original series.

It would be like Abrams casting the TNG crew... It just wouldn't fly.

The film certainly won't really harm the original series at all, or diminish it. People needs to be positive about this if they want it to get off the ground. Too much bickering for my liking on the FB groups.

Healthy debate... not a problem, but outright 'this is going to suck because...' just strikes me as negativity for the sake of it!

BTW Phil, you are a stones throw away from me. I'm in York!

Last edited by Ubik; July 27th 14 at 19:54.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th 14, 20:06   #12
ranger phil
Ranger

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

yay go team yorkshire
Old July 27th 14, 20:16   #13
Ubik
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger phil View Post
yay go team yorkshire
Old July 27th 14, 22:27   #14
Springer
Ambassador

Hey, I'm originally from Yorkshire too!

I digress...

If the film does enough to prompt Warners to get those Blu-Rays out, then I'll be happy even if the film is not to my liking. If the film ends up bring great too, then we get both. Win-win.

My skepticism about the reboot is mainly a creative thing - I'd like to see something new and completely different, set in space. In practical terms the age of the cast makes the reboot a more sensible idea, and I understand that.

Just a discussion point, I had been reading some reviews of B5 online recently, and they pointed out that the 'UN in space' was a very 90s thing where the United Nations was prominent following the break up of the Soviet Union. In the modern era and the so-called 'war on terror' the UN seems to have been sidelined somewhat, so is the UN-style of politics that is in B5 as relevant now as it was in the 1990s? Will this change the tone of the new B5 to reflect the time it is made in, just as the original B5 is a product of the 90s?
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 14, 01:11   #15
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post

Just a discussion point, I had been reading some reviews of B5 online recently, and they pointed out that the 'UN in space' was a very 90s thing where the United Nations was prominent following the break up of the Soviet Union. In the modern era and the so-called 'war on terror' the UN seems to have been sidelined somewhat, so is the UN-style of politics that is in B5 as relevant now as it was in the 1990s? Will this change the tone of the new B5 to reflect the time it is made in, just as the original B5 is a product of the 90s?
That's actualy a very good question. It's probably important to point out that the "UN In Space" aspect of B5 was a complete and total failure, as they themselves admitted on the show, so I'm not *sure* how 90s that was. Certainly not the image the UN has ever had of itself.

Actually, the bulk of the UN's job is coordinating aid, relief, medical stuff, education initiatives, and negotiating an end to wars is a fairly small part of their purview. Which is good, as they were never very good at it. Presumably those are roles the ISA would do, but we never saw much of it in the B5 Council/League. I never really thought of that until you pointed it out. Good one.

Nowadays unilateral action is not the norm - we had plenty of allies in Iran and Iraq who had no real reason to be there other than we asked them to please help - but coordinated international military stuff on more than an ad-hoc basis has been really hard to maintain. NATO, for instance, did not make a good showing for itself in Libya, most of the members don't really live up to their financial and treaty obligations, and the US has gone from footing 50% of the bill in 1960 to something like 75%-80% of the bill nowadays, mostly, I imagine, out of laziness in the absence of any credible foe.

Interesting thought.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 14, 01:16   #16
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

I have a lot of concerns about this. Not the least of which is that we've been burned by this sort of thing at least 7 previous times that we know about, and probably as many that we don't.

The "Reboot" idea bugs me because it was JMS' refusal to recast that ankled TMOS, and if he refuses to ever recast G'Kar out of respect for his friend, then what's the point of retelling the story, just with a G'kar-oid character there? I'm also concerned about *why* a reboot in the first place? Do we have to sit through the Shadow War again?

There are some obvious logical reasons to do a reboot: a very complex backstory, old and increasingly unattractive cast, just some obvious screw ups in the show that he'd like to fix, and, hell, just erasing Crusade/Rangers/Lost Tales would be tempting.

That said, I feel it would be a bad idea. Yeah, the cast are old, but the cast dont' need to be the stars, they just need to be there. The story can be about David Sheridan and Garibaldi's daughter, and Some New Guy Who's Replace Franklin, and so on. As long as The Old Guard are there, and each have like one good scene, I'd be satisfied, and so would most of us, I think. Then we could just have a nice new story about mostly new characters, with the old ones holding their coats, but still treated respectfully.

And of coruse that means we don't have to sit through The Shadow War again.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
Old July 28th 14, 01:53   #17
Jan
Psi Cop

I think the fans complaining of new actors must not realize what a great opportunity this could be for the original cast if they get to play new parts. Look at what Walter Koenig did with the part of Bester. He was so much more than just Chekov and I think anybody who thinks that Mira, Peter or any of the others are any less skilled actors is selling them short.

Burned at least seven times? Name them, please.

And would the people who think that JMS has become possessed by an idiot (not necessarily here) please identify themselves? Whatever he means by reboot, chances are it's not anything we're likely to have thought of. JMS likes to take what we're expecting and turn it upside down and inside out and I expect no less this time.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; July 28th 14 at 01:59.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 14, 05:04   #18
ranger phil
Ranger

Wasn't there a comment on how BB would make a great Earth President? My point earlier about the story being the story an the film being the film is that it gives JMS artistic licence in a way to give us something different, but the same....

Hell even I wouldn't go and watch the shadow war as it was in the series. Been there seen it done it, bought the box set.

Thing about a movie. It opens up so many possibilities - for example JMS was limited by budget in the series... that limitation would be almost gone. The series was charactersentric partly because of budget, (don't get me wrong the story was great) the movie doesnt have to be. You can open up so many things and reimagine them.

That has to be a good thing surely.

And yes i'm all for actors changing roles. BB was an excellent bad guy in DOFS.

The possibilities are endless.

Last edited by ranger phil; July 28th 14 at 05:38.
ranger phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 14, 08:02   #19
Ubik
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
I have a lot of concerns about this. Not the least of which is that we've been burned by this sort of thing at least 7 previous times that we know about, and probably as many that we don't.
I can think of a few - TMOS, Crusade, TLT, Rangers, and the failed reboot due to venue falling through. Although, in the case of a few, something actually got made, but not much more than a handful of episodes, which is potentially even more frustrating! Allowing for that, that would be five. What are the other two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
The "Reboot" idea bugs me because it was JMS' refusal to recast that ankled TMOS, and if he refuses to ever recast G'Kar out of respect for his friend, then what's the point of retelling the story, just with a G'kar-oid character there? I'm also concerned about *why* a reboot in the first place? Do we have to sit through the Shadow War again?

There are some obvious logical reasons to do a reboot: a very complex backstory, old and increasingly unattractive cast, just some obvious screw ups in the show that he'd like to fix, and, hell, just erasing Crusade/Rangers/Lost Tales would be tempting.

That said, I feel it would be a bad idea. Yeah, the cast are old, but the cast dont' need to be the stars, they just need to be there. The story can be about David Sheridan and Garibaldi's daughter, and Some New Guy Who's Replace Franklin, and so on. As long as The Old Guard are there, and each have like one good scene, I'd be satisfied, and so would most of us, I think. Then we could just have a nice new story about mostly new characters, with the old ones holding their coats, but still treated respectfully.
And of coruse that means we don't have to sit through The Shadow War again.
JMS has already indicated that he wants to use some of the old cast, but in other roles. As you say, I think itíd be hard to go for anything that jumps off from the B5 we know, because youíd alienate a large chunk of your potential audience. We canít really expect new viewers to be familiar with B5 canon. I have a feeling we wonít be sitting through familiar events again. When I think of Ďrebootí, Iím thinking more of Abrams Star Trek, where the universe is familiar but thereís plenty of scope of new things. If I know JMS, things will be different, and our expectations will be turned upside down, in a good way. I doubt a simple re-telling would satisfy him creatively.

Weíve already seen that any continuation of the existing B5 verse has been shaky at best, so a Ďhard resetí seems best to me. At this point, Iím definitely not adverse to that. I think the original cast had their time to shine, so Iím fine with new faces. It allows for far more creative freedom and has more chance of being interesting.

You know what is really great though. We have something to discuss again. These boards have been so very quiet of late, and even if the film doesnít please everyone itís kinda nice to talk about B5 as a going concern again.
Old July 28th 14, 11:46   #20
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Ok,
1) The TNT Movies (All awful, looked at as a continuing side-series independent of Crusade)
2) Crusade
3) Legend of the Rangers
4) Lost Tales
5) The Memory of Shadows
6) "The Telepath Wars" movie/trilogy
7) Failed Reboot.

Kevin Long