• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVD's you want realeased...

Re: DVD\'s you want realeased...

Jeremiah Season 2
Boomtown last half season.
Out of Order - The Complete Series

Edit: Let me beat KoshN in saying "Brimstone" which as far as I can tell doesn't look like its been released on DVD.

Re: DVD\'s you want released...

Jeremiah Season 2
Boomtown last half season.
Out of Order - The Complete Series

Edit: Let me beat KoshN in saying "Brimstone" which as far as I can tell doesn't look like its been released on DVD.

Mike G, why you old dog!

Boomtown last half season (the six episodes which should have been included in the first season DVD set, but weren't).
Brimstone (with lots of extras) ;)
Strange Luck
Special Unit 2
The Agency
Police Squad! Possible Street Date Nov. 7, 2006 :D "Frank Drebin is back. Just accept it."

Yeah, though I haven't even seen most of season one, I'll say I would definitely like to see season two of Jeremiah released on DVD, too.

I'm waiting on The Practice to come out. I'd say Boston Legal and Voltron, but they're already scheduled to be released. Other than that most of the shows I wanted to come out on DVD are already out.

I'd like to see Courage the Cowardly Dog on DVD sometime. I miss that show. Rocko's Modern Life would also be snazzy.

In so far as non-cartoons are concerned, I'm hoping The Equalizer will see the light of day eventually. I believe there's a theatrical movie in the works, so I can only assume we might be able to expect a DVD release of the series around then. Well, I'm hoping for that, at least.

Jeremiah season 2 and Brimstone.

I am currently investigating acquiring Jeremiah through other means. I have been for a while. So far have acquired 4 episodes and parts of 3 others.

Does anyone remember an 80s movie called Enemy Mine ? It had Louis Gossett Jr and Dennis Quaid in it, and was about two fighter pilots from opposing sides in a war, who get stranded on a bleak planet.
It's available as Region 1 DVD, but I have not been able to find it as a Region 4. I have even tried Australian websites ... nada.

Oh, well ....

Jeremiah season 2, indeed. Have not gotten season 1, as that would seem so bloody incomplete.

A version of the "Hit the Road" episode of Buffalo Bill that includes the dream sequence / music video to "Hit the Road, Jack". (When you go to start up that episode on the DVD they bring up a title card apologizing for that not being there, and saying that the rights holder to the song refused to license it at any price.) For my money, easily the best pseudo-music-video embedded in a TV sitcom, ever (a little ahead of Moonlighting's version of "Good Love" in their Taming of the Shrew take off episode, and easily better than all of the Drew Carey ones).

A version of the last episode of the Sonny Steelegrave arc of Wiseguy with the original use of the song "Nights in White Satin", instead of whatever that replacement song is.

And an entire TV series that we are *very* unlikely to see on DVD until all of the music of the 1970's passes into public domain: WKRP in Cincinatti.

let it be by the beatles would be a good release

Indeed. It sorta released them from being the Beatles. :D

I can't think of a TV series off hand, but there are two movies I'd very much like to have on DVD. One is O, Lucky Man, starring Malcom McDowell, and the other is The Devils, directed by Ken Russell. WB is sitting on BOTH of them, and keeps making, and breaking, promises to put them out. I would put the 1985 Austrailan film Bliss on the list, but I found that in Australia, Region 4, and ordered it.

I would love to have all the Fleischer Bros. cartoons, like Betty Boop, Popeye, Koko the Clown, and other stuff, on DVD. They even made a cartoon with Einstein explaining relativity. I'd love to have all that.

There are some serials from the 30s and 40s I wouldn't mind having on DVD, like Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, and Radar Men From The Moon. I haven't really looked for them, so they might be available.

I would love to have all the Fleischer Bros. cartoons, like Betty Boop, Popeye, Koko the Clown, and other stuff, on DVD.

Some of their material is out there, but the quality is often poor because some of the titles are now public domain and anybody with a DVD burner can slap any old source on a disc and sell it. There have been at least three full or partial editions of their Superman adventures, all 17 of which are pulbic domain, but none has been sourced from original elements. Warner Bros. will be correcting that by releasing a newly remastered set derived from restored prints this fall. (Probably timed to coincide with the DVD release of Superman Returns.) The major studios usually ignore properties that have had P.D. releases because it is hard to compete with cheap knock-offs and because they can't take ownership of the source material. But because DC still owns the character of Superman, the name and the associated trademarks, and WB is still making movies based on the character, they felt it would be worth the expense of producing a restored special editon of the Fleischer shorts and that they'd make their money back.

It seems to me that whoever owns the trademarks and characters for Popeye, Betty Boop and Koko might also have some incentive to track down the original negatives and arrange for an "authorized" and "official" release, approved by the heirs. Maybe they could get A&E or the History Channel interested in doing a retrospective (the WB release of the Supes films would be a pretty good excuse) and a DVD release tie-in, something like what they did with Superman Returns and the Look! Up in the Sky! documentary.

Something to hope for, in any case.

Regards,

Joe

A few years back, a complete set of Betty Boop was released on VHS, 8 tapes. I have it, and they are decent transfers from clean source material. I'm not at home, to check who did them, but they haven't been reissued on DVD. The UCLA film archives have restored all the Betty Boops, except 4 titles, from the 40s, that no one can find, anywhere. I think they have restored a lot more Fleischer stuff as well. I have two good quality LDs of Betty, issued by Republic, as well as the LD edition of Superman, and one LD of silent Koko, all decent. I have collected all of the original B&W Popeyes, by recording them from the Cartoon Network, in SVHS. So, I know the sources are available for a lot of this stuff, but, as you say, being in PD makes releasing things problematic, in a way. The few DVDs I've seen of Betty are less than third rate. I did buy one for $1, at Target. We had discussed the upcoming release of Superman before. I'll probably pick that one up, when it comes out.

IMO, Betty Boop's Snow White,released a couple of years before Disney's feature, is the best cartoon of all time. It was drawn entirely by Doc Crandal, in six months, no inbetweeners, inkers, just him. It uses rotoscoped footage of Cab Calloway singing St. James Infirmary Blues.

We had discussed the upcoming release of Superman before.

I thought it was worth mentioning again for folks in this thread who might not have read the other one, since the Fleischer's non-Supes work had come up and someone might wonder.

Joe

As far as foolish hopes are concerned, "Howard the Duck" and "WKRP in Cincinatti" come immediately to mind, both unlikely for vastly different reasons. As far as distant possibilities, I would love for "Electric Dreams", a guilty favorite with a killer soundtrack, to be released. As far as old TV series, "The Green Hornet, "The Crow, and "Witchblade" would be snatched up on sight.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back