B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.personnel

Old January 22nd 21, 19:00   #11
HeinleinFan
Ambassador

Re: In Memory Still Bright: Mira Furlan

Wow. Words fail me. So many taken from us too soon.

Mira was one of the brightest stars in our sky. And now she rests in a place where no shadows fall.

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"
- Oddball, *Kelly's Heroes*
HeinleinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd 21, 20:08   #12
Jan
Psi Cop

A little more information on the cause of death in this BBC article>

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55763658
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th 21, 08:45   #13
vorlonlovechild
Commander

Gutted. Totally gutted.

so young.
Old January 25th 21, 23:53   #14
Jan
Psi Cop

The inimitable John Hudgens has posted a memorial video for Mira Furlan:

Quote:
This wasn’t supposed to be made for years, if not decades.
Mira Furlan was not just a TV star to me - she was my friend. We’d always meet up for dinner or lunch when I was in LA, or if we appeared at a convention together - we even acted onstage together once. She’d joked with me about what kind of memorial I’d eventually do for her, and I always deflected, assuming that day was a long way off, if ever.
And so here we are today. My friend is gone. Within hours of the news, I was already getting messages asking, demanding I do another. It hurt too much - I wasn’t going to do it.
And then…. a random track played on my iPod’s soundtrack shuffle, and I started seeing connections, using that track. And then spent almost the entire weekend at my edit system.
We loved you, Mira. Your laugh, that smile that could light up a city - I’ll always miss you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQ-...N9UDsPXIZz8NmM
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th 21, 14:06   #15
EnochTheProphet
Lurker

This has hit me much harder than expected. I do not wish to say curse, though I understand it feels that way. If anything, this show has been a blessing, and it's good to see the B5 family still close outside of the show.

Reading about her passion for art fueled by the turmoil of Yugoslavia is truly inspirational. She didn't just play Delenn, she pretty much was Delenn.

Without distracting from the topic, let's just say that I held this Delenn quote dear because it reminded me of my dad. Now it reminds me of him and Mira. May they both rest in peace.

Quote:
What happens? What happens is that we honor the memory of those who are no longer with us by using what we have learned to save others. To exercise faith and patience and charity. To reach out to those who are afraid. If we can do that, then their passing will have had meaning and we will grow from it.

Last edited by EnochTheProphet; January 27th 21 at 14:19.
EnochTheProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th 21, 02:48   #16
hypatia
First One

That is so sad, she was too young. West Nile Virus is a tricky one, many people get it and never have symptoms so they never even know. But in rare cases it can be difficult to fight.
Old January 30th 21, 03:29   #17
Sinclair

How am I just now seeing and hearing about this? That's so sad to read about. I had no idea she had been in bad health. The cast continues to dwindle far too soon.
Old January 31st 21, 03:58   #18
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
How am I just now seeing and hearing about this? That's so sad to read about. I had no idea she had been in bad health. The cast continues to dwindle far too soon.
No kidding, so many have died far too young.
Old February 8th 21, 02:19   #19
RW7427

Mira WAS Delenn. No one else could have played the character as well as she did.
Old February 12th 21, 20:23   #20
puzzle
Telepath

Sad to hear.

As much as I could deciper from what I saw and read, Mira changed things for the better - both around her, and further away in the world. I appreciated and continue to appreciate her contribution.

For me, her performance in Babylon 5 (and also her songs and some interviews) were a source of much inspiration and support at the time, and occasionally much later also. I still remembered her clearly before accidentally coming here and reading the news. I actually hoped to perhaps see... if the people involved in B5 were doing any interesting projects, and whether she was still active or had retired.

This is indeed distressingly random in addition to plain sad, yet also statistically... not surprising. It reminds me of a conversation I overheard between two political activists (of here unspecified stripe and color) back a while ago. One asked the other if he didn't fear getting beaten up or entirely offed by opponents. The other replied that no - if he feared anything, it would be infections, because "that's the stuff that actually gets many people". Thus, I'm now experiencing a case of confirmation bias.

I wish that she could have stayed for longer.

Last edited by puzzle; February 12th 21 at 20:37.
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote