• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

There is hope in a B5 Movie

Za_Ha_Dum

Regular
I know is a very emotional statement this subject, but after seen an amazing star wars fan film, almost everything can be done. Faith manages but so does the WILL of doing it.

For those who has not seen REVELATIONS yet, please check the following link and download the trailer movie:

http://www.panicstruckpro.com/revelations/revelations_media.html

Important Note: According to newspaper the director spent only US$ 20.000 (twenty thousand dollars) to produce this 40 minutes movie.

Once you have seen, wouldn´t you help to have a B5 Feature Film come true?

Best Regards,

Cadu
Zhadum

Not with the original cast, I can't. Nor with JMS, actually.

Although I've often said I'd prefer a sock-puppet version of B5 over most television these days, uh, I was kind of joking on that point. :eek:

Nothing wrong with low-budget, don't get me wrong. But as a "reward" to the "original cast".. errrr.... :eek:

Yeah, i'm with Hyp. I would probably not support a B5 fan effort, I love it too much, but I also respect the cast etc.

I doubt JMS would give it his blessing, and given his penchant for lawyers, I doubt one would survive for long...

As for fan films in general, apart from the Star Trek New Voyages series, i just can't see the point of them. If you want to make a sci-fi film, think up your own Universe and play in that!! Harder, but more rewarding. Its also why i write my own sci-fi and not fanfic. It may be naff, but i'm least i;m not messing somone elses work up...

I just watched that trailer, the CGI seems cool'n all, but I think the actors may need a bit more help...

Dear Darth_librarian and Hypatia,

I do not disagree with your point of view. I also believe that the original cast is a MUST. They are part of the story, and that is why I sent many letters in the recast campaign of TMOS.

My point is..... Independent movies with good special effects (B5 needs this), can be done. In other words, we do not need the traditional hollywood studios to do a B5 movie. The expensive and hard part would be the crew and selling to the theathers (perhaps they have exclusive agreements with traditional studios).

Well....It's a thought....

Take care,

CADU
Zhadum

JMS was trying to make the B5 movie with largely independent funding, from what I can gather. That's why it fell through, his backers could not get it together.

An Indie movie is a way different kettle of fish from a fan-flic.

The expensive and hard part would be the crew and selling to the theathers (perhaps they have exclusive agreements with traditional studios).

Well....It's a thought....

And the license fee and the script fee. In an industry where your next project's pay is often/usually based on your last project's pay we can't assume that would be inexpensive no matter whether JMS wanted to help out or not.

Jan

JMS was trying to make the B5 movie with largely independent funding

I have never heard about it. When was it?

Well, Za'ha'dum, there was a HUGE flurry of excitement some time ago when JMS started dropping hints that a B5 theatrical movie was being organized. I think it was going to film over in England? Or at least JMS got an office in England for a short time, something like that.

Well, we never really got the whole story, I don't think, but the funding fell through. There was some panic when the story went out that the powers that be were considering recasting some of the star's roles.

But in the end, the funding just wasn't there, I think, in the end. I am delighted to see some movies come out of non-Hollyweird studios. I think independent films and filmmakers are great. We need more of them, so much of the Hollywood fare is just reamking stuff or converting comic books to action films these days. :(

IMovie the film equivalent of ITune does not exist (yet).

Distribution is not the hard part; it is getting paid for it.

The big difference between paying a fee to download a computer program and a TV programme is that the TV programme needs a bigger file.

<u>Method.</u>

Encrypt the digital and MPEG4 version of the movie, possibly using AES.
Each consumer is to be issued with his/her own public key pair. (The PGP program allows them to make their own.)

Consumer logs onto studios website.
Consumer chooses film and sends website payment (possibly in the form of credit card info) and his public key.
Website encrypts the film's key variable using Consumer's public key and emails it to Consumer.
Website uses say BitTolerrent to download movie to Consumer.
Movie playing software uses file and email to provide entertainment.

Estimated development cost: 2 people for 6 months. Say $300,000
Running costs: $600 for the server + electricity + floor space + internet access + operator.
This is less than many special effects and can be reused on future films.

But Hypatia......

You are describing TMOS - The Memory of Shadows. This movie as long as I know was Warner Brothers, therefore not independent at all.

Regards,

Cadu
Zhadum

Warner Brothers wouldn't put up the money without "Big Stars". So, JMS had a deal with someone else, through Warner Brothers, since it would be a smaller picture. That fell through, and that's when the rumors surfaced about WB would do it, if they had big stars, which would make it a big movie.

Warner Brothers wouldn't put up the money without "Big Stars". So, JMS had a deal with someone else, through Warner Brothers, since it would be a smaller picture. That fell through, and that's when the rumors surfaced about WB would do it, if they had big stars, which would make it a big movie.

"Hydrogen and stupidity are the most common elements of the universe" This statement was in B5, but I cannot remember who said it in which episode.

Actually, my understanding is that the person/company optioned the movie rights from JMS and commissioned the script without any involvement from WB at all. WB wasn't interested in distributing it because they assumed that nobody'd come out to see a movie based on a TV show. They weren't interested in financing it because they only wanted to do big movies with big stars.

It's my hope that Firefly makes just scads of money this fall. Maybe then they might take a look at the B5 DVD sales and realize that they can do the same thing. I know it's just a dream but it'd be so lovely if WB came to JMS and asked him to develop something. Too bad it'll never be TMoS.

Jan

Wow, that's the second time today I've been reminded that the first part of Firefly's pilot is on in about 3 hours. :)

And I'm home again, with a glass of wine, so I ain't going nowhere until I've seen this show I've heard so much about.

If it's really good after a few weeks, I may Netflix it just to loan out to a couple of friends of mine. :D

The thing, I think personally, to remember about Firefly, hyp, is that it's style might be a bit offputting at first. I never watched it on tv (I'm kinda glad I didn't now that I know that Fox showed episodes completely out of order and didn't bother showing the pilot episode until the last episode they showed). I wasn't exactly keen on the whole western element to it even with it being a space show. But eventually my interest in Joss Whedon storytelling caused me to cave in and buy the DVDs without having seen a single episode, and I ended up glad I did. I came to see how the western element was just its quirky style but that the same kind of bittersweet types of characters I seem to end up most enjoying was very much the heart and center of the show.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm aware of some of the reactions the series has gotten, so I am prepared to give it a few weeks try-out.

Thanks. :)

I think they will be bulk buying Anti-freeze for a Mr L. Ucifer before Hollywood ever uses Bitorrent as a legitimate medium, it is currently trying to sue the creator.

In that case, I strongly suspect mister L. Lucifer... is currently already watching snowflakes fall in *rather* concerned fashion.

After trying every other way, even Hollywood will realize some key aspects about the future of data distribution.

It will, naturally, take a bit of time.

I think they will be bulk buying Anti-freeze for a Mr L. Ucifer before Hollywood ever uses Bitorrent as a legitimate medium, it is currently trying to sue the creator.

Of course. Pick up gun. Aim at shoe. Pull trigger.

Hollywood has yet to learn that suing people is very dangerous. The lawyers like it because they are paid win or lose.

Back