• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dreamwatch review of Jeremiah

A_M_Swallow

Regular
I cannot find a review of the Babylon 5 DVDs (yet) but I did find two interesting items in Issue 98 of Dreamwatch. The first is JMS in a 4 page Icon Interview, which advertises the DVDs and the UK TV debut on Sky One. The main picture is a take off of the picture of Galen and his crystal ball. It shows the Great Maker holding a crystal ball containing an image of Babylon 5.

The second item is a review of Jeremiah – Season One.

In the box
“Dreamwatch Verdict 8

Jeremiah has great characters and an intriguing scenario, while the pay-off at the end of the season is chilling.
If the TV series leaves you hungry for more, read the Jeremiah comics by Hermann Huppen. Website http://www.jeremiah.tv/

Main text

JEREMIAH – SEASON ONE

· Staring Luke Perry, Malcolm-Jamal Warner
· Created by J. Michael Straczynski
· US airdate: March to July 2002
· UK airdate: Begins this autumn on Sky One

A pandemic has wiped out all humans “over the age of innocence” and the children have been left to make of thee world what they will. Years later, Jeremiah (Luke Perry) is a loner eking out an existence as he wanders the world searching for the mythical Valhalla Sector. Each night he writes – and burns – a letter to his father, a scientist who may or may not be linked to Valhalla.

Together with fellow traveller Kurdy (Malcolm-Jamal Warner), Jeremiah becomes caught up in a nasty situation which leads them to Thunder Mountain. At last, Jeremiah believes he may have a chance of finding the answers to his questions…

Now that Babylon 5 is fondly remembered as a ground breaking SF TV show, J Michael Straczynski has been free to pursuer new universes. His first major post-B5 TV offering is Jeremiah, an adaptation of a European comic book.

If the premise reminds you of Survivors, then you get the drift (although without giving too much away about the plot, there’s also a bit of B5 spin-off Crusade in there somewhere). Yet the show goes in other directions too. The ever-present threat in the series is not just from the expected hoards of sub-Mad Max rampaging savages, but from the legacy the ‘grown-ups’ left behind – and it seems very personal at times. Jeremiah, through his family ties, is inextricably caught up in what may well be a conspiracy.

Jeremiah is an interesting show, and the Straczynski touches are more than welcome – Babylon 5 viewers will spot his baroque dialogue flourishes in the episodes he pended. Bit it’s bigger and better than that might imply (including direction by Russell Mulcahy). It deals with social and often very complex themes in an adult format. And it’s a definite must-see. Luke Perry is rugged and dour (and surprisingly good) in the lead role, and Malcolm-Jamal Warner is his perfect foil.

Brigid Cherry
"

Dreamwatch is a great magazine - but I canceled after Crusade was canceled and there was not really much new Sci-Fi being made that was interesting to me

I have had a difficult time finding in my area so if someone could send me a copy (I would pay for it of course) or suggest somewhere to buy it online, I would appriciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The news stand at one of the train stations I have to swich used to sell dreamwatch. Haven't been there lately but I can check if they still sell it (No idea if it's still as good as it was - they put too much effort in trying to find a new layout often and made finding what you want in the magazine harder and harder)

Hmm, maybe I can find someone in Canada to pick up one for me. I think they are sold there at least.

Too bad I cannot access my email at the moment. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back