• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dollhouse

Re: New Joss Whedon show

Sounds wonderfully creepy, and full of the kind of misogeny that will get rampant feminists with no sarcasm awareness reaching for their pitchforks...

Yes, a show where at a high level and first glance, these women (called dolls) are blatantly used as tools. That should go over well with our crazy blogger friend...

Shooting begins tomorrow, the 23rd.

They've already started writing episode eight of their seven-ep commitment... let's hope this goes Sarah Connor Chronicles and not Firefly.

Honestly.

I hate to be the pessimist/realist here, but I'll bet anyone here $100 that this show doesn't make it a full season.

Take a look back at the last 10 years at how many Dramas on Fox got renewed for a second season. Then take a look at how many made it a full 20+ episode first season.

This is a genre show, and right now, those shows just DO NOT survive on Fox. Period. If it ain't "reality TV" or "AI", it isn't going to make it. Dramas/Genre just don't go anywhere on Fox. 24, Bones, House (and apparently T:TSCC is getting its first FULL season next year). That is pretty much it. Out of how many? Do the math.

Last edited:

Yeah, it doesn't seem likely, does it? But the deal was always with Fox, no getting out of it. All we can do is hope it goes "Lost" and "Heroes" and a lot of people pick up on it word-of-mouth, etc.

The Whedonites will turn out full force, natch, but that's probably not enough. It is, however, an excellent start.

Fox does seem to be backing this. The execs seem to get it, the show's generating a lot of press (with words like "highly anticipated" being kicked around, which can be self-fulfilling prophecy), and they've given it the Monday night slot before "24," which isn't exactly a sign of a lack of confidence. It won't air until January but Joss wanted more time to get it rolling anyway.

Oh, and they've expanded it from 7 to 13 episodes. Which brings it up to a full half-season, or in other words the perfect length for a midseason add, which is what this will be.

They've been shooting the pilot already, so we have here a publicity pic. (There are others if you follow the link, but in those they photoshopped the women to death, so I'm sticking by this one.)

dollhouse-20080515092853634.jpg

http://uk.tv.ign.com/dor/objects/14...llhouse-20080515092853634.html?page=mediaFull

I have to admit I like the concept of this Whedon show, and knowing Joss Whedon, Dollhouse should be a wonderfully twisted show. I can't wait. I do hope Fox Has enough sense to give this show a chance. Eliza is always cool whether she's hero or villian.

Last edited:

While I am psyched for the show, I really do hope that Joss will finally drop his one very bad trait. Not every relationship has to end, end badly, end with a death, end with someone turning evil, etc.. It is completely unrealistic to me, and the sign of a bad writer, that he can't write a good relationship to save his arse. He has tried using the excuse before that good relationships don't make for good TV, but that's a bunch of hog wash as a good writer can make good relationships just as interesting as the bad ones.So, hopefully if there is any meaningful relationship on this show Joss has learned his lesson, but probably not.

Well, before Serenity, he did do a convincing, working relationship with Zoe and Wash.

The one "flaw" I personally see with Joss shows is .. the dialogue is too smart.

It's, of course, awesomely fun and all that. But it's just makes no sense that everybody, always, knows the perfect comeback to everything. That's not "real life".

Not that I really need a show about a blonde vampire killer to resemble real life in every way.

Actually, his true fanatical followers do talk that... because they're constantly quoting him.

Just saw the trailer, since many copies had been taken down -- or, in some cases, the demand crashed the servers. Booyah. The trailer has pretty low productions because it's quite a rush job, apparently, but man, does it look awesome anyway!

Word on the 'net is, Fox is running this show with reduced commercials, giving each episode upwards of 50 minutes of airtime.

I'm currently Netflixing the original "Outer Limits" series. I recall being amazed at how long the episodes were back then: about 52 minutes in an hour, I believe. So it's pretty amazing having a station go back to that standard for a special event.

Of course, this means future airings will have to be cut. More motivation to buy the DVD's, eh? :)

No, it's not a special event: Fox claims that for two shows -- Dollhouse and JJ Abrams' new vehicle, "Fringe" -- it's going to be standard.

Wow. That is amazing. An interesting approach to marketing.

I wonder how much commercial time is worth when they do have it. Or is it like a sponsor thing? Maybe if they have only one sponsor, it'll seem less necessary to have commercials all of the time?

Back