B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 9th 18, 03:59   #61
Karajorma
Ranger

Re: Mark Oshiro watches Babylon 5

The comment section is very strange. Quite a few people on there seemed to agree with the premise that you can't be racist to a white person and took exception with JMS having the view that you definitely could.

But yes, I tend to read the comments from the people new to the show first.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th 18, 02:39   #62
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
The comment section is very strange. Quite a few people on there seemed to agree with the premise that you can't be racist to a white person and took exception with JMS having the view that you definitely could.
Not to derail this thread, but for future reference: almost every argument along those lines is rooted in having different definitions of the word "racism" and not really realizing it. And now, back on topic!

From Oshiro's review of "Hunter, Prey":

Quote:
I hate asking this, but: When will the other shoe drop?
Which one? B5 essentially drops the entire JC Penny's shoe department, over time.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th 18, 04:47   #63
Karajorma
Ranger

Well the reason discussions of racism came up was because they seemed to feel that Sheridan and Sinclair were far too hard on G'Kar in season 1 and 2. That they should have tried to understand that the Narns were the victims of Centauri occupation and therefore they should be forgiven for their attitude towards the Centauri.

Personally I feel that although I understand the Narn point of view, my sympathy for them is somewhat lowered by the fact that we know they want genocide against the Centauri and that they've done things like try to allow Deathwwalker to escape justice.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th 18, 01:55   #64
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yeah. The Narn response is both understandable and unwise. It's the difference between "By any means necessary" and "Kill Whitey".

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th 18, 18:17   #65
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Yeah. The Narn response is both understandable and unwise. It's the difference between "By any means necessary" and "Kill Whitey".
Yes anyone who thinks Sheridan and Sinclair were hard on the Narn is not paying attention. Both always tried to include the Narn and both had to deal with obstacles and threats the Narn created.

And I don't want to get into the subject of racism, but saying you can't be racist to a white person is one of the most racist things I've ever heard.

KoshFan nailed it right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
almost every argument along those lines is rooted in having different definitions of the word "racism" and not really realizing it.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote