• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Stargate Atlantis - Season 3 to 4 Cast Changes

KoshN

Super Moderator
For Season 4, we are losing:

Torri Higginson as Dr. Elizabeth Weir
and
Paul McGillion as Dr. Carson Beckett

...and picking up:

Amanda Tapping (Colonel Samantha Carter)
and
Jewel Staite (Dr. Jennifer Keller).

Anybody here know WHY? I'm catching up with Stargate Atlantis via NETFLIX DVDs, and finished Season 2 Disc 4 yesterday. So I have four more episodes left in Season 2. While I'm happy to see Amanda Tapping joining the cast, I'm sorry to see Torri Higginson and Paul McGillion leave.

I dont know for certain, but rumors are flying around.

I guess fans were bored with Tori and that her character was the weakest of the group, so they wanted someone in her place. I've been told she isn't completely OUT, but is reduced to a recurring role, like a Mr Morden type thing, instead of being a credited star of the show.

Beckett, I'm not sure. I think he was the second least popular character on a fan poll at the time, so they made the change. However enough people were upset over his leaving that its rumored he might pop back in at some point in late Season 4 or early Season 5.

I'm OK with Jewel Saite coming in, but I'm not sure its the role for her. I've only seen here in the one episode, so who knows.

I'm just about FURIOUS with Amanda Tapping coming in and running the show in Tori's place. SG1 ran for 10 freakin years. Let these people MOVE ON. I liked Atlantis because it WASN'T SG1. I don't want SG1 cast members making appearances in every other episode, or being a regular like this. Sure, it might be interesting having her and McKay in the same space...but she will be a leader now not the scientist solving all the problems --- at least I hope she doesn't slip into her old role out of habit. I don't know, that just really bothers me.

I liked the show as it was, and had more issues with the fact that the fucking replicators were in the Pegasus galaxy too. I liked it best because the characters were different, and it was more original and arc driven than SG1. Now we have replicators in this series too, and SG1 people appearing. They are ruining the things I liked best about the show.

I may be completely wrong here (and someone feel free to let me know so) but I heard that she still had a year left on her contract and instead of letting her out of it, they brought her to Atlantis full time. Mallozi also said that the Weir character wasnt working out and they would have replaced her even if Carter didnt cross over.

Interesting. Well in that case, it still sucks, but maybe that's why. I agree that Weir wasn't working out per say. I liked her well enough and she was a good, strong, non-military leader, but there wasn't anything to her beyond that.

If Atlantis has one weakness, its not further developing their characters after about halfway through the first season. There is good character INTERACTION and that makes the show fun. McKay is always a hoot (did I just say that?), and his interactions with the others in various situations is fun and interesting. But they basically set their characters up, and thats it. Shepard is the same, so is Teyla. We know what makes Ronin tick and he is why he is, but nothing beyond that. Same with Weir. They don't DO ANYTHING with them. Thats their only weakness.

That being said, the interactions between them are better than most shows, but yea, Weir, while being a good leader, wasn't as great a character as she should have been. Still, I'd rather have kept her than have Carter come in....

Firstly, I have to admit I have a bit of a "thing" for Tori Higginson. That being said, I think replacing her as leader of the Atlantis team makes sense. Atlantis is less of an exploratory mission now, and much more of a military one.

I also heard the rumor about Amanda Tapping having a year left on her contract, although I doubt they "forced" her to be on Atlantis by not letting her out of it. These folks are a tight-knit crew. Having her show up to run Atlantis makes sense story-wise. We know Weir doesn't die from the explosion at the end of last season, a la Carson Beckett, who won't be returning as a main character. That sucks, too, because Carson was my favorite character on the show. The episode where he died hit me like a sack of potatoes.

I dont know for certain, but rumors are flying around.

I guess fans were bored with Tori and that her character was the weakest of the group, so they wanted someone in her place. I've been told she isn't completely OUT, but is reduced to a recurring role, like a Mr Morden type thing, instead of being a credited star of the show.

Beckett, I'm not sure. I think he was the second least popular character on a fan poll at the time, so they made the change. However enough people were upset over his leaving that its rumored he might pop back in at some point in late Season 4 or early Season 5.

So, at least neither of them is killed off. That's good.

They let FAN POLLS do their casting decisions?

I'm just about FURIOUS with Amanda Tapping coming in and running the show in Tori's place. SG1 ran for 10 freakin years. Let these people MOVE ON. I liked Atlantis because it WASN'T SG1. I don't want SG1 cast members making appearances in every other episode, or being a regular like this.

I know what you mean. It seems to me that a lot of people wanted Crusade to be B5, and any changes are viewed as negative (e.g. the music). They want more of the same (Samantha Carter and Christopher Franke). Me, I got used to both Crusade and Atlantis, and like them for what they are, shows clearly in the B5 and SG1 universes, but clearly their own shows as well.

I'm not furious about it because I like Carter so much. Still, I was happy with the way it was (at the point I'm at, 4 episodes from the end of Season 2).

Sure, it might be interesting having her and McKay in the same space...

McKay liked it in Grace Under Pressure, and so did I. ;) :devil:

...but she will be a leader now not the scientist solving all the problems --- at least I hope she doesn't slip into her old role out of habit.

She and McKay will both be solving the problems, and that's where conflict may occur.

I liked the show as it was,

Same here.

...and had more issues with the fact that the fucking replicators were in the Pegasus galaxy too. I liked it best because the characters were different, and it was more original and arc driven than SG1. Now we have replicators in this series too, and SG1 people appearing. They are ruining the things I liked best about the show.

Sounds like the writers are out of ideas.

We know Weir doesn't die from the explosion at the end of last season, a la Carson Beckett, who won't be returning as a main character. That sucks, too, because Carson was my favorite character on the show. The episode where he died hit me like a sack of potatoes.

Shit, so they did kill off Carson Beckett. :( I especially liked his interactions with McKay.

Interesting. Well in that case, it still sucks, but maybe that's why. I agree that Weir wasn't working out per say. I liked her well enough and she was a good, strong, non-military leader, but there wasn't anything to her beyond that.

If Atlantis has one weakness, its not further developing their characters after about halfway through the first season. There is good character INTERACTION and that makes the show fun. McKay is always a hoot (did I just say that?), and his interactions with the others in various situations is fun and interesting. But they basically set their characters up, and thats it. Shepard is the same, so is Teyla. We know what makes Ronin tick and he is why he is, but nothing beyond that. Same with Weir. They don't DO ANYTHING with them. Thats their only weakness.

That being said, the interactions between them are better than most shows, but yea, Weir, while being a good leader, wasn't as great a character as she should have been. Still, I'd rather have kept her than have Carter come in....

The writers seem tired, and like they don't know how to write for these characters. Having recently watched almost two seasons worth, I agree with a lot of what you've said above.

It seems they (the producers and writers) are trying to stimulate themselves by bringing in different characters. Instead, they should be developing the EXISTING characters, or bringing in some NEW WRITERS.

Shit, so they did kill off Carson Beckett. :( I especially liked his interactions with McKay.

Yes, they did. However there is some serious fan speculation, and a quiet rumor (which might just be more hopeful fan speculation) that the Carson Beckett that died was a Pegasus Galaxy Replicator copy who was trying to infiltrate, and that the real Beckett is somewhere to be found still. Again, I think that is 100% fan speculation, and I don't know if it has ever been confirmed, or if the actor playing Beckett has been told of he will be back at some point in the future (for his return).

Becket is supposed to come back for at least two episodes,maybe three in season four.

It will be the original Becket too apparantly,not a Alternate Universe,ressurected or any other excuse for bringing him back so he couldn't of died.

How they're planning on explaing this I have no idea though.

Yes, they did. However there is some serious fan speculation, and a quiet rumor (which might just be more hopeful fan speculation) that the Carson Beckett that died was a Pegasus Galaxy Replicator copy who was trying to infiltrate, and that the real Beckett is somewhere to be found still. Again, I think that is 100% fan speculation, and I don't know if it has ever been confirmed, or if the actor playing Beckett has been told of he will be back at some point in the future (for his return).

Horrible idea, and I hope they don't do it. That'd be like hitting the Berman/Braga Reset Button™ and would piss off lots of fans who had finally accepted the loss of a man who died doing something heroic.

Rodney has a tendency to conjure up "imaginary friends" in times of stress. Like the time he was stuck in the Puddle Jumper at the bottom of the ocean, he imagined Sam Carter being there to help him through it (and took a couple liberties in the romance department :)). At the end of Beckett's final episode (I'm horrible with episode titles), Rodney was standing out along the water and was talking to an imaginary Carson. It was filmed as if he were imagining Carson standing there, talking to him. Nothing sci-fi about it, just a dude imagining what he'd say to his friend if he could see him one more time. I kind of think that's how we'll see Carson again, if ever.

Horrible idea, and I hope they don't do it. That'd be like hitting the Berman/Braga Reset Button™ and would piss off lots of fans who had finally accepted the loss of a man who died doing something heroic.

Rodney has a tendency to conjure up "imaginary friends" in times of stress. Like the time he was stuck in the Puddle Jumper at the bottom of the ocean, he imagined Sam Carter being there to help him through it (and took a couple liberties in the romance department :)).

Yes, that was Grace Under Pressure, the episode I was talking about where McKay was imagining a scantilly clad Samantha Carter. :D :devil:

At the end of Beckett's final episode (I'm horrible with episode titles), Rodney was standing out along the water and was talking to an imaginary Carson. It was filmed as if he were imagining Carson standing there, talking to him. Nothing sci-fi about it, just a dude imagining what he'd say to his friend if he could see him one more time.

Sounds like a nice scene.

Becket is supposed to come back for at least two episodes,maybe three in season four.

It will be the original Becket too apparantly,not a Alternate Universe,ressurected or any other excuse for bringing him back so he couldn't of died.

How they're planning on explaing this I have no idea though.
They will likely do it just how I explained in the post above yours. :) That the Beckett that died wasn't the "real" Beckett, but a Pegasus Galaxy Replicator copy.

Rodney has a tendency to conjure up "imaginary friends" in times of stress. Like the time he was stuck in the Puddle Jumper at the bottom of the ocean, he imagined Sam Carter being there to help him through it (and took a couple liberties in the romance department :)). At the end of Beckett's final episode (I'm horrible with episode titles), Rodney was standing out along the water and was talking to an imaginary Carson. It was filmed as if he were imagining Carson standing there, talking to him. Nothing sci-fi about it, just a dude imagining what he'd say to his friend if he could see him one more time. I kind of think that's how we'll see Carson again, if ever.

Yea I liked the way they ended that episode, and I took it exactly as you said --- McKay just imagining his friend.

They will likely do it just how I explained in the post above yours. :) That the Beckett that died wasn't the "real" Beckett, but a Pegasus Galaxy Replicator copy.

It does seem the obvious answer and I can't think of any other plausible explanation.

I am so enjoying that I finally have a reason to visit this forum again. :)

I thought the whole Beckett death thing was weird and sort of hard to believe they would off one of the main characters like that. I guess I didn't think he was that bad of a char to kill him off and he wasn't so beloved that it was done for shock value. It was just weird.

I like Carter but the thought of her moving to Atlantis disturbs me. Having her and McKay on the same show every week seems like overkill on the whole "I am the smartest scientist" deal. Maybe it means that McKay will get less screen time? I almost hope so because as much as I do enjoy his chatter ... it does get to be a bit much.

I don't really care too much if Weir leaves or stays. I think it is interesting that the actress was replaced after the "pilot" and after 3 years, it still isn't working?

How strange to hear Beckett was the least popular character? I saw him being discussed as a favorite amongst many people, in many places, in the first season, I didn't really see it, but, have really liked him in S3.

Lyta, Weir's actress wasn't replaced in the Pilot, it was long before that. Weir was a Blond for a two parter in SG-1, and then Tori replaced her and ran SG-1 for a period of time, before she was ever sent to Atlantis, I believe. Matter of fact, I was shocked when I saw a rerun with the blonde in it, and realized that was Weir.

Well, ok so it wasn't the "pilot" but I meant that original episode that introduced the Atlantis crew/concept. Anyway, you knew what I meant. :p

Well, ok so it wasn't the "pilot" but I meant that original episode that introduced the Atlantis crew/concept. Anyway, you knew what I meant. :p

Right, but, that was before Atlantis was introduced, a year or so before, I believe

**Brings the thread back to ask a question.**

Okay, so I'm a fairly new convert to Stargate Atlantis. I just started watching it on Sci Fi this summer. I was watching an ep tonight and I swear I saw a familiar face...

My question is this....Did I really see Mira Furlan play a Wraith queen or was I hallucinating? :wtf: I watched the ep "The Queen" tonight and I could have sworn she was playing the queen of a Wraith Hive ship. The minute I saw her I said, "That looks like Mira!" Granted, Wraith makeup is different from Minbari to be sure and they somehow alter the sound of the Wraith characters' voices, but I could have sworn I saw it in her eyes and her mannerisms. She didn't last long because she was killed by another Wraith, so I didn't get much time to get a really good look.

Has anyone else seen this ep to comfirm my suspicions and to prove I'm not tripping on something? If so...thanks in advance. :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back