• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So has anyone on here been watching "Avatar: The Legend of Korra?" It's the sequel/spinoff to "Avatar: The Last Airbender," which was surely the finest American cartoon of its generation.

"Korra" just started season 2. I marathoned Season 1 to make sure I had everything fresh in my mind, and I was pleasantly surprised (And occasionally blown away) at how good it all was.

So: anyone watching it? If so, let's talk about it. If you're not watching the show, you're really missing out.

Yup! Made sure to capture the most recent episodes!

After the first season, I wasn't sure where they would take the character ... and thus far pleasantly surprised.

I like the comparison how the first series was all about the physical learning of what it meant to be the avatar. While this one seems to be concentrating on the spiritual side of what it means.

Should be interesting to see where it leads, though as sure everyone else, looking forward to seeing more back story on what happened to all our favorite characters from the first series!

And agreed, if you haven't caught the series yet, it is well worth the watch. They really up'ed there game on the side of the animation, especially the backdrops to the locations they are creating.

(you just have to ignore the random, wtf moments in the character's directions and decisions, granted, that is the nice thing about this series, they are truly flawed :) )

Yup! Made sure to capture the most recent episodes!

After the first season, I wasn't sure where they would take the character ... and thus far pleasantly surprised.

I like the comparison how the first series was all about the physical learning of what it meant to be the avatar. While this one seems to be concentrating on the spiritual side of what it means.

Should be interesting to see where it leads, though as sure everyone else, looking forward to seeing more back story on what happened to all our favorite characters from the first series!

And agreed, if you haven't caught the series yet, it is well worth the watch. They really up'ed there game on the side of the animation, especially the backdrops to the locations they are creating.

(you just have to ignore the random, wtf moments in the character's directions and decisions, granted, that is the nice thing about this series, they are truly flawed :) )

Phew! I'm glad someone other than me is watchng this, 'cuz it's an awesome show. I love the style of it, it just oozes cleverness and creativity. For instance, in the first episode of the first season, there was a great little piece of 1930s swing music played entirely on traditional Asian instruments!

I'll tell you what I really want: I want to know about Iroh's trip to the spirit world. That's the original Iroh from the original series. They made several mentions and allusions to it in the original series, and the rumor is they'd intended to use it as a major plot element in the final season, but with Makko's death, they just decided to ditch it in respect to the actor. Anything we could find out about that would make me pretty happy.

I'm also curious to know what Korra's uncle's game is. He's played her pretty easily so far, and it's obvious his motivations aren't on the level, but what are they?

I'm of the impression that the polar portals to the spirit world were closed for a good reason, probably the protection of humanity.

My thoughts:

Last night's episode of "Korra" ("Civil Wars, part 2") was probably the best one of the season so far. This year has been kind of slow to get going, but that's not really a criticism*.
Just the same, last night's ep really felt like the story FINALLY got started.

A civil war in the Water Nation, the mysterious notion that the northern spirit world portal is open, and Korra's uncle showing his true face. This is a darker story than we've seen so far in either the original show, or last years' "Everyone must be equal, even if we must use force" plot. The conflict is not immediately apparent, and now that it's emerging I'm still not entirely sure what form it'll take. (I mean, is Korra's uncle doing all this as a mere power grab? Or is there a larger purpose behind it? Or is it a power grab that'll get completely out of control by unleashing uncontrollable supernatural horrors on the mortal world?) I can't help thinking the spirit world portals were closed for a reason, probably for humanity's protection.

I have no idea where Tenzin's helo plot is going. But then that's the nature of helo plots, I guess.

Nice to see Asame's still on the show as I kind of have a crush on her, and Bolin's crazy domineering waterbender goth chick girlfriend is pretty hilarious. I want to find out what became of Sokka, the only member of the original show's cast unaccounted for**. I also want to know about the ORIGINAL General Iroh's journey into and escape from the spirit world.

What did you guys think?

*- Season 1 had 22 minutes to grab us and make us love it. Since we already love it, they can take their time and play a slower, more involved game.

**- Well, they've mentioned that he's dead, and we saw a really short flashback of him as the first leader of the Republic City council. Still: I want to know more.

Back