• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

controversial sci-fi....

Mindwalker

Regular
what, in your opinion is a good example of sci-fi (of any genre) that is deserving of the title "Controversial"? I am not so much speaking of back when they first came out but, that can still be considered as such even today?

(Written word only please not TV shows or movies)

I vote "Farnhams Freehold" by Robert Heinlein

The Sheep Look Up, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse 5. I see no reason they should be controversial, but even today, the Vonnegut books are sometimes banned by school boards.

I don't have any specific titles to add, but in general anything that contradicts the status quo can be considered controversial. Way back when, the idea of the earth revolving around the sun was controversial whereas now that's common knowledge.
A book has to differ from mainstream commonheld knowledge to be labeled controversial or it has to differ with other literary works. To put it simply you have to be ticking somebody off to be controversial.

For hard sci-fi I'd agree with Bab5nutz on Fahrenheit 451.

If "any genre" includes fantasy, I'd say Harry Potter fits the bill. Some right-wing Christians were rather incensed by the fact that the books show magic in a positive light.

Back