B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Old July 25th 19, 14:17   #1
bladerunner
Lurker

Are there different versions of the DVDís? If so, what should I buy?

I live in the US and I am thinking of buying the DVDs (new or used) for a rewatch.

Any recommendations on this, please?

Thanks.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 19, 03:15   #2
Looney
Telepath

Re: Are there different versions of the DVDís? If so, what should I buy?

WELCOME!!!!!

There are not different versions, other than packaging. The original DVD release came out in big boxes and was later re-issued in slimmer cases. Other than that the DVD content is the same. The only alternative content is that there is a DVD, I believe it is German, that was released with the original cut of THE GATHERING. This version can also be purchased if you get your hands on the RE-TV VHS released by Columbia House. So really all you need to know when purchasing is whether or not you are getting big boxes or slimmer cases.

Let us know how you make out or if you have any other questions. I personally have a big box set for each season that is what I watch and factory sealed slimmer cases as a backup just in case. I say that because I do own a BABYLON 5 THE LOST TALES DVD that just randomly went bad. It worked fine the first time I watched it, but has never worked again so I had to re-buy it. Not a mark on it, but it won't play.

GOOD LUCK and keep up posted. So glad you stopped by.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 19, 09:11   #3
bladerunner
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
WELCOME!!!!!

There are not different versions, other than packaging. The original DVD release came out in big boxes and was later re-issued in slimmer cases. Other than that the DVD content is the same. The only alternative content is that there is a DVD, I believe it is German, that was released with the original cut of THE GATHERING. This version can also be purchased if you get your hands on the RE-TV VHS released by Columbia House. So really all you need to know when purchasing is whether or not you are getting big boxes or slimmer cases.

Let us know how you make out or if you have any other questions. I personally have a big box set for each season that is what I watch and factory sealed slimmer cases as a backup just in case. I say that because I do own a BABYLON 5 THE LOST TALES DVD that just randomly went bad. It worked fine the first time I watched it, but has never worked again so I had to re-buy it. Not a mark on it, but it won't play.

GOOD LUCK and keep up posted. So glad you stopped by.
Thanks, that is a great answer!

It was enthusiastic, detailed and useful. It answered my question perfectly.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 19, 09:41   #4
Springer
Ambassador

I've got a DVD question too!

On my season 5 region 2 set, the teaser for The Fall of Centauri Prime is missing. Does anyone know if this was fixed for subsequent re-releases?

There's also a limited R2 release of the original edit of The Gathering that came with a short-lived part-work B5 magazine in the UK – though I guess it's not much use if you're in the US, unless you have a multi-region player.
Springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 19, 14:36   #5
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I've got a DVD question too!

On my season 5 region 2 set, the teaser for The Fall of Centauri Prime is missing. Does anyone know if this was fixed for subsequent re-releases?

There's also a limited R2 release of the original edit of The Gathering that came with a short-lived part-work B5 magazine in the UK Ė though I guess it's not much use if you're in the US, unless you have a multi-region player.
I thought there was a UK R2 GATHERING original cut DVD release, but I didn't want to mention something I wasn't sure of. Sorry I can't help with the "season 5 region 2" question.
Old July 28th 19, 15:44   #6
babylonfan
Ranger

The original release of R2 S5 was indeed missing the teaser of TFoCP. Also, the theme song to the Psi Corps episode is the regular intro instead of the special intro. On later releases this was corrected.

At the time someone mentioned that you only had to reach out to WB to get the faulty DVDs replaced. But I never did manage to get them replaced.

The R2 version of The Gathering was at first released with the original cut. The new cut was released later. Unfortunately, you can't tell from the packaging which one it is.
babylonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th 19, 02:17   #7
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonfan View Post
The original release of R2 S5 was indeed missing the teaser of TFoCP. Also, the theme song to the Psi Corps episode is the regular intro instead of the special intro. On later releases this was corrected.

At the time someone mentioned that you only had to reach out to WB to get the faulty DVDs replaced. But I never did manage to get them replaced.
Okay so the only reason I would have reached out is so I could have both the mistake and the corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonfan View Post
. Unfortunately, you can't tell from the packaging which one it is.
Really?! That is terrible. Why wouldn't they put "Special Edition" on the "Re-Edit" or something?! I would say it is because that would have meant putting money into producing new artwork, but you spend that money so you can sell it twice. You get people who want both cuts. Not changing the packaging means many people wouldn't look at it twice because they would assume it is the original cut they already have. That is terrible marketing.