B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 16th 10, 14:40   #11
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: Bye-bye IFC

Ah, I didn't realize IFC was a Pay Channel.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th 10, 18:22   #12
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
It ain't. Comes w/ cable. I don't pay extra for it.

Jade's complaint isn't that they're going to show commercials at all, but show them during movies. The original point of channels like IFC, AMC and TCM were unedited, unre-formatted movies, basically like watching the DVD.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th 10, 19:18   #13
hypatia
First One

Exactly.
Old December 16th 10, 19:55   #14
Sindatur
Techno-mage

So, if it's just cable, then how did they support themselves?

Cable companies charge you to carry your station, you have to pay your employees and pay for your content... How does a station without commercials support themselves other than the PBS model with Pledge drives and Government proceeds?

AMC and TCM never had pledge drives. I too find it irritating that AMC shows commercials now, but, they don't play classic movies anymore either, aside Westerns on the weekends.

Walking Dead was pretty awesome for it's first season, though

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th 10, 22:42   #15
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Yeah I think Bravo became the all-gay channel at some point. I don't mean challenging indy films about homosexuals and their life experiences, I mean TV shows where they go shopping and eat lunch or whatever.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Quote:
It ain't. Comes w/ cable. I don't pay extra for it.

Jade's complaint isn't that they're going to show commercials at all, but show them during movies. The original point of channels like IFC, AMC and TCM were unedited, unre-formatted movies, basically like watching the DVD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post

Exactly.
How embarrassing: I didn't check to see there were posts on the next page.

I meant my comment to go in after the "all shopping" comment GKE made on the previous page.

Sorry, yes, I meant you pay to get cable tv, that comes with basic service. You then pay more if you want more, like commercial-free programming.

How TCM survives as basic cable, but with no commercials? I think they own the Warner Brothers library, don't they? That probably sustains them. TCM is a way to create more interest in the movies they profit from selling, I suspect.
Old December 17th 10, 02:17   #16
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:

Cable companies charge you to carry your station, you have to pay your employees and pay for your content... How does a station without commercials support themselves other than the PBS model with Pledge drives and Government proceeds?
IFC wasn't showing commercials during the movie but they still had sponsors. Usually you would have trailers with an attached ad, e.g. "Target presents..." and a commercial right before the programming: "tonight's movie brought to you by Acura, watch this 2 minute presentation."
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th 10, 07:25   #17
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:

Channels like IFC and TCM, which aren't basic channels, but aren't "premium " channels that you pay an individual set fee for, get paid by the cable, or satellite, company, on a per-viewer basis. Of course, the money they get comes from what you pay your service provider.

TCM no longer owns Turner's film library, which includes WB films. They have to pay for every film they run. But, I'd guess that the negotiations with the Turner film library are easier, and cheaper, than with other sources.

GKE, yes, I know, losing the IFC hardly makes it difficult to have good things to see. I don't have a computer, or ISP at home, so I can't stream. But, I do have free access to a library of well over 40,000 DVDs, where I work. Besides that, I have lots of DVDs I've burned myself, and haven't had time to watch yet. But, the IFC, and Sundance, both showed films I hadn't heard of, that I checked out, and found to be quite good. They weren't just a source of programming, but a source of knowledge of what films there were, in their favored genres.

Oh, I have read that Inception holds the new record for bluray sales v DVD sales, so I guess it's out!
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th 10, 04:27   #18
hypatia
First One

So is the Fox Movie Channel about the only main channel that basically is just showing it's own movies?

Speaking of Fox, has anyone else noticed that they really like to talk about how great Fox Studios is?
Old December 20th 10, 11:23   #19
Jade Jaguar
First One

Fox also owns films from other studios, from some years. I know they own some MGM films, and I think they own some Universal films, just to name a couple of studios. As to what separate Fox entities might be involved in the leasing and showing, I'm not sure. But, probably FMC and the part of Fox that owns the film rights, are separate legal entities, so, at least on paper, some money changes hands, or accounts, something like that.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th 10, 11:48   #20
Kraig
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
So is the Fox Movie Channel about the only main channel that basically is just showing it's own movies?

Speaking of Fox, has anyone else noticed that they really like to talk about how great Fox Studios is?

There's also MGM HD, Universal HD, EPIX HD (Paramount), Sony HD to name a few.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote