• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sci Fi TV (USA)

Their Minis and the Cube movies have all been fairly good. It's their Monster of the week that's often lacking.

And just when did the 25-54 year olds become a sought after advertising group?

This age group is a key demographic for just about any product in any industry. Why? Easy!

This is the age group that has money to spend. Below that are teenagers on allowances and those just into jobs earning crappy salaries. Above, those beginning final approach towards retirement and becoming more circumspect with their spending.

For advertisers, disposable income rules. Pure and simple.

And thats another thing, what the heck happened to their Mystery Science Theatre 3000 reruns? I bet that would do great on Saturday nights. Does SciFi not have the rights to those anymore or something?

The same reason that most of the shows haven't come out on DVD. They may still have the rights to the host segments, but the rights for the films being lampooned are another matter. Most of the comedy central episodes have will probably never be seen again for this reason.

Interesting. I wondered why the DVD releases were so... random.

And just when did the 25-54 year olds become a sought after advertising group?

This age group is a key demographic for just about any product in any industry. Why? Easy!

This is the age group that has money to spend. Below that are teenagers on allowances and those just into jobs earning crappy salaries. Above, those beginning final approach towards retirement and becoming more circumspect with their spending.
I'm not saying that your reasoning doesn't make sense. It does. Howver, that isn't the reasoning that has appeared to be applied by the advertisers and TV programming execs. It also isn't what you hear quoted repeatedly in articles about the industry either.

The age group that is almost always quoted as "most desirable" is the slightly younger (though heavily overlapped) 18-49 demo. Sometimes that is even whittled down to 18-39 or even 18-35.

The reasoning for why they care more about the younger group than the ones who actually have the most disposable income is that they feel the younger people will be more easily swayed (on average); the older people tend to have already established buying patterns and therefore are less likely to have the shopping habits changed by a commercial. This is especially true in the younger end, the 18-25's, who are generally out on their own and making many of their own purchasing decisions for the first time.

Obvously, this will vary some depending upon the product. However, that is still the reasoning most of the time.

If they were aiming for the people with the most diposable income then you would see a *lot* more shows targeted at people in their 40's and 50's and a lot less domination of "youth culture" on TV.

The same reason that most of the shows haven't come out on DVD. They may still have the rights to the host segments, but the rights for the films being lampooned are another matter. Most of the comedy central episodes have will probably never be seen again for this reason.
A similar issue is why we are unlikely to see a DVD release of WKRP in Cincinatti any time in the foreseeable future. On that show it is the rights to redistribute the music that the DJ's were playing. There was a *lot* of recognizable music used in that show.

With netflix, hundreds of channels, books, real lives, etc. scifi showing crappy movies on a Saturday shouldn't be a big problem.

Just watch shows you do like, change the channel when one you don't comes on, and make fun of anyone you know watching crap and move on with your life.

Don't forget, tonight Firefly starts before Stargate SG-1. I saw something that indicated Firefly wouldn't keep the 7PM slot on Fridays, not sure if it was accurate or not, so, if you watch and enjoy it, be sure to pay attention to when the second episode will air.

Damn! :mad: If I'm not home on time, Sci-fi does repeat their stuff, don't they?

I need to find a blank tape for my ancient vcr.

How much does Tivo cost again?

The big 3 (SG-1, Atlantis, BSG) will be 8, 9, 10pm and then repeated immediately afterward starting at 11pm. Firefly, however, only says it's on at 7pm (andromeda is on after the Big 3 repeat). Scifi Channel plays their mini-series several times in the course of a few weeks, but their series, they typically just show on their regular airing times, or back to back repeats as with the Friday night block.

For tonight's episode (the first half of the two hour pilot) *only*, it will be shown again next Friday at 6:00. That means that they two hours of the pilot will be shown in two consecutive hours next Friday from 6:00 - 8:00 PM (at least in the Eastern Time Zone). So you have a second chance for tonight's. There are no second showings scheduled for any of the other episodes of Firefly on the schedule.

All of that was based on having checked the SciFi schedulebot at the beginning of this week.

I'll look it up for the times here.

Thanks for the info! I would have missed it totally, and I did want to check it out. :)

I have no idea. But they were at war at the beginning of this episode, then it phased into "current" time, I think.

Hey, I recognized the actor who played the preacher. Ron Glass? I'll have to google his name, but he played on Barney Miller, I believe. Or was he a different actor? :confused:

IHey, I recognized the actor who played the preacher. Ron Glass? I'll have to google his name, but he played on Barney Miller, I believe. Or was he a different actor? :confused:
By now you have probably run your check (for actors, I usually start with the IMDb rather than google; but that's just me). But, yes, that is the same actor who played the clothes horse / author / detective on Barney Miller (and starred in Frank's Place, among other things).

Yes, I did check imdb.com and I had his last name wrong. :eek:

I edited it before anyone could quote me, though. :D

I so enjoyed Barny Miller. It and MASH hold a special spot in my childhood heart. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back