• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 movie DVD Box in Uk only 3 movie?

Lyra

Ok, I was looking at the specs. of the TV movie box set to get an idea what will be in the special features. I was hoping for a Richard Biggs commentary or a Peter Jurasik. Or at least a Andreas Katsulas. But no luck... Here is what I found. Anyone else with more info on the US version?

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=2&articleId=6574

Also why is it that only 3 of the 5 movies have commentaries? :confused:

In the case of the R2 release, the set appears to only contains 3 movies.

Time to write to the newspapers to request they review the movies?

Yep, I collect the R1 version (US version), but I want my fellow R2 collectors to have the same joy when the box comes out as the R1 community...

We'll see, it might be a mistake... Who knows...

I hope, that is not truth. I collect R2 DVDs and I don't like the idea to have all the episodes in R2 and the movies in R1.

This is pretty much par for the course where WHV UK is concerned. They also botched the original release of The Gathering and In the Beginning be releasing them seperately with no extra content and selling EACH for more then the combined R1 disk cost.

Apparently they feel that if you shoot yourself in the foot, the best way of fixing it is by shooting yourself in the other foot. Good luck to them, I'm ordering from R1.

All true, I'm afraid.
On August 16th, a THREE disc R2 set is released.
The next day, a FIVE disc R1 set is released in the US.
The logic to this is that the two movies missing from the R2 set (The Gathering and In The Beginning) have been released over here previously (although without the commentaries and intros) :mad:
I gave up on WB UK some time ago and have my 5 disc R1 set ordered, :p

Well, one of the theories about the JMS comment "Look to the horizon..." is that he was talking to those R2 (And R4?) customer who are upset about this, telling them to be patient, that the 5 movie set is coming. I personally didn't see it that way, but several people did. This comment was in one of the last two updates he gave us, when he said he was offered Executive Producer on a series he didn't create.

They also botched the original release of The Gathering and In the Beginning be releasing them seperately with no extra content and selling EACH for more then the combined R1 disk cost.

And I think that's exactly why they're (at least initially) releasing the other TV movies in a boxed set - because if they included them in a higher-priced set at least as many fans would be complaining about what greedy bastards they are for forcing people who already overpaid for the first two movies to buy them all over again when all they're getting is a couple of commentary tracks that they'll probably listen to once and which they could just as easily enjoy by borrowing a friend's copy or renting the movies. WB was going to get a ration of **** no matter what they did. At least this way fans pay for just what they're getting and if (when, really) they reiusse the first two movies as special editions fans who already own them will be able to decide whether or not it is worth upgrading. I just think they would have been smarter to release them on separate discs (or as a two disc set) alongside the other box - but this could also have been confusing to both fans and retailers which is probably why they aren't doing so and haven't even announced a date for rereleasing TG and ItB.

Regards,

Joe

Oh frigging' hell. Why, why R2 customers always have some shit poured upon them? It has been always like this. We always get the "special fucked up to the ass -editions", without commentaries, without DTS soundtrack etc. Now this? C'mon. This isn't fair anymore, they blew it totally with 5 seasons of B5... But now this? And afterwarsd they're complaining that so much people will buy R1 versions etc etc etc. To heck with all this crap, literally. I'm going to pre-order my R1 version of movie set in couple of days or so from Amazon or some place like that. I don't wanna get caught in the middle and screwed up da bum once again. Thank you SO much UK office of plain and relative shit.

Sorry for the harsh language. But this message deserves it. Really.

One thing though in R2 land, the UK edition of many of the new Disney 2 disc special editions HAVE dts and the R1 does not. When I was at a Pixar conference not long ago, Disney was there, or some of them, and I asked them, why the difference. The Disney person stood up and said (and I quote) : Where we here in the US look for quality in picture the EU likes dts over picture. You can imagine how the room reacted. Then he said, to honest truth was that where dts takes up more space on a DVD, they did not want to compromise on picture...

For me that more or less sounded the same. And then he also said, that it would leave room for S.E. Editions of those DVDs for the US market. See these people test the market on both sides of the Atlantic.

But with B5, I have always thought it was a piss poor release. All of them. The way they dealt with it. Had it not been for JMS pushing we would never have had anything, and if we did it would have been super crap.

So, a BIIIIIIIGGGGG Thanks to JMS. We love you man! Thanks for giving us your time and love for B5. Your last commentary was hard to watch cause I felt the pain, in a different way. B5 has meant a lot to me and will always... I'll shake your hand for that, one day... ;)

If I wear a hat, I'll take it off for you :D

The big problem I have with JMS' comment on looking to the horizon is this ... assuming that it does refer to a future release of either the full 5 movie set or a re-release of ItB and tG what on earth makes WHV think that people will wait.

If there are enough potential buyers (or re-buyers) to justify a SE re-release of the first two movies by themselves, then surely there are enough to justify putting the movies in with the set. Agreed, there will be some who complain about this, but how many is a total unknown.

Plus, how many potential buyers will put off buying the 3 movie set, because JMS has intimated that a full set is coming soon? Enough to hit sales of the 3 movie set sufficiently for WHV to think a further release is not economic? Who knows.

Then, having waited, when the further release is actually just a re-release of ItB and tG, how many will bother to buy both sets? And how many will go to R1 for a single box set of all the movies?

And how many will just look at it right now, say "I just can't be doing with all this" and go get R1 on 17 August?

We really could do with some common sense from WHV in R2.

Oh ... and S5 would be nice, too.

:rolleyes:

PS. I am aware that those of us who hang out on message boards like this are a small minority of B5's DVD sales base, so I am probably over-egging this, but hey I'm only human(ish).

One thing though in R2 land, the UK edition of many of the new Disney 2 disc special editions HAVE dts and the R1 does not. When I was at a Pixar conference not long ago, Disney was there, or some of them, and I asked them, why the difference. The Disney person stood up and said (and I quote) : Where we here in the US look for quality in picture the EU likes dts over picture. You can imagine how the room reacted. Then he said, to honest truth was that where dts takes up more space on a DVD, they did not want to compromise on picture...

For me that more or less sounded the same. And then he also said, that it would leave room for S.E. Editions of those DVDs for the US market. See these people test the market on both sides of the Atlantic.

I am sorry mate but that is the biggest crock of shit that, that guy could have fed you, he is obviously a marketing person. The R1 version of Finding Nemo has been panned for having a terrible transfer yet does not have DTS. The R4 and 2 have the DTS track and have a far superior picture.

There are plenty of films that have DTS and have breath taking picture quality:

The Rock
Hero R3 (the picture and sound on this thing rock)
Infernal Affairs R3 (this again rocks in pic and sound dept)
Speed Special Edition
Hulk
Fast and Furious

Also remember PAL does take up more space on a DVD but not to the extent that you can not cram DTS and a fantastic transfer. Never believe marketing, they have no idea about development.

I am sorry mate but that is the biggest crock of shit that, that guy could have fed you, he is obviously a marketing person. The R1 version of Finding Nemo has been panned for having a terrible transfer yet does not have DTS. The R4 and 2 have the DTS track and have a far superior picture.

There are plenty of films that have DTS and have breath taking picture quality:

The Rock
Hero R3 (the picture and sound on this thing rock)
Infernal Affairs R3 (this again rocks in pic and sound dept)
Speed Special Edition
Hulk
Fast and Furious

Also remember PAL does take up more space on a DVD but not to the extent that you can not cram DTS and a fantastic transfer. Never believe marketing, they have no idea about development.

Hi zantarous

Yep, I thought so... But then he was a major dick and was fired or as they say it over there, let go... Anyway, what ever reason it is behind closed doors, it is probably just as lame...

Yep, I thought so... But then he was a major dick and was fired or as they say it over there, let go... Anyway, what ever reason it is behind closed doors, it is probably just as lame...

It really makes me wonder sometimes how some people get job like that and have absolutely no clue.

Back