• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Today's dvd day!

Londos6

Regular
Today\'s dvd day!

I wonder how soon those of us who ordered The Gathering/In the Beginning from amazon.com months ago will receive them? I have checked my order status, and it isn't scheduled to ship until tomorrow. Oh the waiting.....
crazy.gif

------------------
"Triple cypher...wine...women...song." - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

Re: Today\'s dvd day!

Yeah, same here - says it will be shipped tomorrow. Estimated delivery date is Dec 20-Dec 31... so if I'm lucky, I'll get it this year!
laugh.gif

OTOH, amazon.co.uk still hasn't shipped my order which includes the whole technomage trilogy and a few other things - everything else but the third Technomage book has been listed as "1 on hand" for weeks now so that shouldn't be a problem.
mad.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Well, I didn't pre-order one <shuffles feet in embarrasment>, but I was able to pick one up last night (December 3rd) from a retail outlet here in New Orleans.

I kinda feel good about getting it retail, because 1) I got it for 16 bucks, and 2) I think that Warner Bros is expecting to sell to most of the fans through the internet. The Babylong 5 fan-base seems (at least to me) to be quite net-oriented. I'm hoping that good retail sales (in addition to the good internet sales) will be an extra kick in the pencil pusher's pants to put together a series release.

Here's hoping.

Radar

------------------
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Now.. I'm just waiting... Soon it will be here.. I hope.. at least.. DAMN! WANT IT NOW!
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Logical thinking - Perfect weapon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radar:
I was able to pick one up last night (December 3rd) from a retail outlet here in New Orleans.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I was thinking I should just go out today and buy one somewhere...but I guess I'll just wait.

------------------
"Triple cypher...wine...women...song." - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

I got mine on Monday (watched it last night) and paid only $14.50 for it (no tax, no shipping).

It's a terrific deal, if a little lacking in the image quality and extras.

But hey, it's B5 on DVD, so I'm not complaining!
smile.gif

------------------
Rob Scott

I preordered mine throughDigital Eyes(my usual Internet supplier for DVDs), and was told it shipped Friday. Since some other discs I ordered from them that shipped Thursday arrived yesterday (three days from Tennessee to Oregon, not bad at all) I should see mine tonight. Definitely looking forward to it. $17.89 including the shipping.

Peace,
Jamie

P.S. No, I don't work for Digital Eyes, but I've been extremely happy with their service for several years now and highly recommend them for anyone buying DVDs over the net.

------------------
"Obviously no one reads Santayana anymore. If you'll excuse me, I'll be over there, getting drunk with the rest of the aliens."
--Susan Ivanova

damn!
I looked at Wal-mart. They didn't have it.
I called That's Entertainment. They didn't have it.

I may just have to make my 2nd online purchase from DVDBoxoffice.com.

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I never quite understood the whole pre-ordering online concept. Why prebook something online, then wait 2-3 days for it to ship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most on-line retailers ship a few days early so that the disc arrives on the release date. Amazon.com is a big enough target that they get paranoid about breaking street date, so they refuse to ship until the official release date, hence the delay.

Another reason for pre-booking is discounts. A number of dealers offer an extra percentage off if you order in advance. This simplifies their calculation of how many copies of a given title to order, and is thus worth offering an incentive for. Finally there is just price overall. I buy certain "big-ticket" sets like The X-Files from a dealer in Canada because the exchange rate plus the pre-order discount saves me a huge amount of money. I may pay near-retail for an impulse buy at a local store, but for sets that list for $100 or more I play the exchange rate and happily wait an extra few days for delivery from Canada.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Jamie:

My comments on buying from Canada notwithstanding, Digital Eyes has been my regular on-line source for DVDs for years. Their prices are not always the cheapest, but they give good value and their customer service is simply the best.

Before DVDs arrived I used to buy my laserdisc from Mark and company at Digital Eyes. During the transition between formats I once accidentally ordered a film that was only being released on laser, thinking I had ordered a DVD. It was one title out of five on that order. On a Sunday afternoon, while he and his crew were in the office packing orders for shipment, Mark happened to come across my four DVDs and one LD. He called me at home and asked if I had meant to order a laserdisc, since he knew I had only ordered DVDs in the previous several months. Somehow I don't think that Amazon.com would have done the same.
smile.gif

I was also the first-ever recipient of a Digital Eyes Gift Certificate - which at the time didn't exist. My then-boss wanted to give me a personal bonus for some extra work I'd done, so she got me to write down the url for the website where I bought my DVDs. (I had them shipped to the office in those days.
smile.gif
) She claimed she needed it for her brother who had just bought a DVD player. Instead she went to the site and found their phone number, then called to find out how to do a gift certificate. They had never thought of doing one, and had no mechanism in place for creating one. But they invented one that same afternoon and called her back with the details. A few weeks later I received it in the mail.

Being out of work for most of the last year I've hardly bought a single DVD anywhere, but as I rebuild my finances I certainly intend to send more and more of my business Mark's way. (Heck, I still have a couple of hundred frequent buyer's points to use up.)

Thanks for endorsing DE, and reminding me to do the same.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Well, amazon says they've shipped mine, and upgraded free
smile.gif
to priority mail. So, the expected date of arrival changed from 12/10 - 12/14, to 12/7 - 12/10. The way the mail has been lately, I'll believe that when I see it.

------------------

A few hours ago, I got a notice that all mine (4 from Amazon) have been shipped. Expected delivery date is 12/7-12/10, Priority Mail.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

heh,

I never quite understood the whole pre-ordering online concept. Why prebook something online, then wait 2-3 days for it to ship. Those of us who didn't do this can run to the store today and pick it up, no waiting.
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Back