• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Superman Returns

Bester

Regular
The new Superman costume has just been revealed:

smaller.jpg

Having read a number of comments on the net, it appears that this new look is very unpopular with Superman fans, who are complaining about the small shield and the light blue bodysuit.

Personally, I think the colours will look alot better on film (they appear to be washed-out in the above pic). I also think the smaller shield harkens back to the look of the original 1930's costume, and I welcome the shorter briefs and new buckle.

All-in-all, I'm glad that they have not messed with the classic look too much and look forward to seeing it in the movie next year. :cool:

IMO the "classic" Superman look never translated onto film and still does not. It was OK for the comics back then, with broad colors being the norm, but it's hopelessly outdated and cartoon-ish for a film.

Look at how the X-Men film (still the model for how comic book films can be done well) abandoned the costumes and comic-book looks for the uniform, keeping the spirit of the story and characters but making it digestible for modern audiences.

Frankly, the only people I could see loving this costume is hardcore comic geeks and gay men.

The "hardcore comic geeks" are the ones who are posting all the negative comments about the new look. Check out the forums on superherohype.com to see for yourself. They've even started a petition to bring back the larger shield!

The lack of comic costumes was the only thing I didn't like about the X-Men movies. I especially missed Wolverine's cool mask.

The "hardcore comic geeks" are the ones who are posting all the negative comments about the new look.

Well these are probably the same type of people that complained that Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings. You know they'd "complain" about anything. That's why their opinions should never count.

The "hardcore comic geeks" are the ones who are posting all the negative comments about the new look.

Well these are probably the same type of people that complained that Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings. You know they'd "complain" about anything. That's why their opinions should never count.

Bravo! People have nothing better to do than bitch about something so minor as the the size of his...ahem...shield!? :eek:

Puulease! The outfit looks great! And BTW, for a gay man, so does Brandon! YUM!!!!

:D

CE

It does look a little weird. The belt and shield seem rubberized. And the cape and boots are downright maroon.
I think in the case of Superman, there's really no option. Unlike a lot of other movie superheroes, you just can't put Superman in black leather.

Spiderman's suit was well-translated to the screen, although I believe there was geeklash about that too.

Unlike a lot of other movie superheroes, you just can't put Superman in black leather.

Sure you can.
I'd give him blue jeans, a blue T-shirt and a red jacket.

You know, I never stopped to think about how they're doing the rest of the film. Are they even trying to make it modern? (like the Spiderman and X-men film) or they making the whole thing old-timey (like Sky Captain)? If the latter, than this outfit (as well as the ridiculous pose) is fine. If not, it's going to look ridiculous.

I also wonder if they're gonna pull that glasses=secret identity nonsense.

Yes they are. I saw a picture somewhere out there (I can't remember where) that had the new actor looking a whole lot like Christopher Reeve. Right down to the cheesy three piece suit.

That's so freakin' uncanny it's scary. Here's a photo of Reeve as Clark Kent.

clark1978c.jpg

Granted, Reeve still stood six-foot-whatever, but the facial resemblance is damn similar...

The question is can he the destinct difference in mannerisms down like Reeve? It was something Reeve felt was very important, to explain why no one ever figured out CK was Superman. He made him so different in character and body language that no one would ever assume. I hope Routh can get that down as well.

With BS directing, I'm fairly confident that they will get it. I'm really looking forward to this film.

As for Routh vs. Cain...both hot as hell! I would love to be in a Superman sandwich!!! :D

CE

From that photo, he has the nervous look of Reeves down to a tee.

He could well have studied Reeves's performances, and really should have done.

Dean Cain was great as Superman, but never cut it as Clark, not like Reeves.

I'm also looking forward to seeing him in action, although possibly not in the same way as CE.... :p

The question is can he the destinct difference in mannerisms down like Reeve? It was something Reeve felt was very important, to explain why no one ever figured out CK was Superman. He made him so different in character and body language that no one would ever assume. I hope Routh can get that down as well.

CE

My favorite is the scene where he's about to tell Lois about his secret identity. He looks into the mirror, takes off his glasses and straightens up, causing him to grow about 6 inches.

Unlike a lot of other movie superheroes, you just can't put Superman in black leather.

Sure you can.
I'd give him blue jeans, a blue T-shirt and a red jacket.

You know, I never stopped to think about how they're doing the rest of the film. Are they even trying to make it modern? (like the Spiderman and X-men film) or they making the whole thing old-timey (like Sky Captain)? If the latter, than this outfit (as well as the ridiculous pose) is fine. If not, it's going to look ridiculous.

I also wonder if they're gonna pull that glasses=secret identity nonsense.

It's Superman, you're not going to get it to look realistic. With X-men you could limit the people flying and have the few who could kinda float feet down. Once you have a guy sticking his arms out and flying stomach down colorful costumes become the least of your worries. In fact flying that way would pull you farther out of the movie if the guy's wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

Yeah, that's true.

I just believe it's possible. I dunno, maybe limit his flying or something.

I caught a few minutes of Hulk on cable the other day. Man it looked so stupid, that big green computer thing. As corny as the TV show was there is a certain logic to just using a body builder as the Hulk. I think if I were to do it, though, I would make Banner already pretty built and give the Hulk a slight green-ish hue, do it very subtle.

Or not- maybe there's just no way to make this stuff look like anything other than absurd.

CE

My favorite is the scene where he's about to tell Lois about his secret identity. He looks into the mirror, takes off his glasses and straightens up, causing him to grow about 6 inches.

It was the masterful touch brought to the role by a Shakesperean trained actor. He got into the head of the two sides, Kent and Superman, and made them two different people while still the same person. Reeves was an incredible actor.

In this case, I don't know much about Routh, but have the faith in Singer.

CE

Well, he is a Soap Actor, and they often need to play opposites like that, so, his background suggests he should be cpable of it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back