• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

TV Guide's 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

Re: TV Guide\'s 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

So no-one has a problem with George Jetson being number 4? :)

I couldn't get past, "Alf"!! :LOL: :LOL: Okay, let's consider this.... :rolleyes: ...hmmm...YES...I definitely have a problem with George Jetson being #4. He just doesn't bug me as much as Alf!! :LOL: :LOL:

At least the Jetsons were definitely Sci-Fi icons for a while, which is more than you can say for Alf.

So no-one has a problem with George Jetson being number 4? :)
Yes actually I did. Alf was no. 1 on my absurd list. George Jetson was no. 2. :LOL:

Personally, while excited to see Sheridan so high on the list (above Crichton even), I think that the list is wack for the most part. Way out of order, missing some legends (like Blake or Avon)...and Dr. Who is a bigger international legend than most of the dorks on the list.

And what's up with that jab at "wacky alien names like G'Kar" thing? :confused: :mad: B5 has had better SF sounding names than the majority of SF out there...even Trek overall had more "wacky" names IMHO.

Puleeeze...I'm happy B5 and Sheridan ranked high, but such rankings to me are someone's arbitrary opinions and really don't matter a hill-of-guacamole to me. :rolleyes:

Sheridan was a "flawed hero"? Maybe I'm forgetting something... :confused:

That is what made this show so great. Sheridan WAS flawed, not the picturebook hero. He made a lot of wrong decisions and wasn't always perfect.

Someone above mentioned "In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum." I suppose that is one example, but there are much better ones. His setting up the telepath colony in S5 was one of his biggest mistakes...not because it turned out bad, but because by doing so HE was trying to have some telepaths on his own side --- basically use telepaths the same way the Vorlons used them.

His treatment of Lyta throughout the entire series was always poor as well. Perhaps he didnt REALIZE it, but it was. Lyta didn't deserve to be treated as an outcast until the very end of Season 5 --- long after she was pushed beyond her point. Remember HOW MANY TIMES Sheridan went to Lyta for help, and Lyta was always there. The Shadow War, The fight to free Earth. Helping uncover the Plot against the shipping lines in mid Season 5. He always went to her for help, but she was always left on the outside with no friends and never included in their group. Yea, Sheridan used Lyta not too much differently than the Vorlons did.

And also argubaly he could have been considered a meglomanic in Season 4.

He did make hard decisions, and right decisions, but he also made mistakes --- human mistakes --- and had just as many flaws as the rest of us.

His treatment of Lyta throughout the entire series was always poor as well. Perhaps he didnt REALIZE it, but it was. Lyta didn't deserve to be treated as an outcast until the very end of Season 5 --- long after she was pushed beyond her point. Remember HOW MANY TIMES Sheridan went to Lyta for help, and Lyta was always there. The Shadow War, The fight to free Earth. Helping uncover the Plot against the shipping lines in mid Season 5. He always went to her for help, but she was always left on the outside with no friends and never included in their group. Yea, Sheridan used Lyta not too much differently than the Vorlons did.
I always meant to make that point in one of these discussions, and now you have done it for me. Yep, Sheridan's treatment of lyta shows the flaw in the idea that "he takes care of his own." It was disgraceful (as a deliberate plot point) and shows Sheridan at his worst. Lyta was a tool for him as much as for the Vorlons, and for much the same reason - she was too useful to ignore but too uncomfortable to have around much.

I agree 100%. I really disliked Sheridan for this, and felt sorry for Lyta because of it. I think Sheridan was an overall decent person, but even he really screwed up when it came to his treatment of her.

I think this was one of the best character points that JMS did. It was something that made Babylon 5 unique. This is one of the reasons I liked this show so much. Even the shows "biggest and best" hero has moments where he really acts disgraceful...and doesnt even realize it, which makes it all the much worse.

Probably the best explanation for it was that the first and biggest thought in Sheridan's mind every time he saw Lyta -- or interacted with her in any way -- was "Telepath/PsiCorps." This colored his emotions for the whole run.

Back