• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

TV Guide's 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

Londos6

Regular
TV Guide\'s 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

From the Aug. 1 issue:

25. Captain Video - Captain Video
24. Dick Solomon - 3rd Rock from the Sun
23. Ultraman - Ultraman
22. Doctor Who - Doctor Who
21. Starbuck - Battlestar Galactica
20. John Crichton - Farscape
19. Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers - The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman
18. Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds - Firefly
17. Max Guevara - Dark Angel
16. Allie Keys - Taken
15. The Coneheads - Saturday Night Live
14. Robot - Lost in Space
13. MST3K Crew - Mystery Science Theater 3000
12. Sam Beckett - Quantum Leap
11. Duncan MacLeod - Highlander
10. Jack O'Neill - Stargate SG-1
9. Captain John Sheridan - Babylon 5
A top-gun starship pilot- think Maverick in space- eventually becomes President of the entire Interstellar Alliance. But no less an achievement for Babylon 5's John Sheridan was his ability to keep a straight face through five seasons of wacky alien names like G'Kar and Na'Toth. Credit goes to Bruce Boxleitner for his down-to-earth characterization of the flawed hero- tough but compassionate, courageous but impulsive, and always tempermental. The performance even resonated with some folks at NASA, who invited the actor to a launching of the space shuttle Atlantis.
8. Alf - Alf
7. Fox Mulder - The X-Files
6. David Vincent - The Invaders
5. Diana - V
4. George Jetson - The Jetsons
3. Uncle Martin - My Favorite Martian
2. Star Trek Crews
1. Rod Serling - The Twilight Zone

Re: TV Guide\'s 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

Thats actually very good considering that B5 wasnt the most widely watched show when it aired. It has come a LONG way since then.

He's not my namesake but he'll do. :D

That is pretty impressive!

I think it strange to lump all Star Trek characters into one "Star Trek crews." And, Doctor Who should have been higher.

u dont think that the trek vote was split, so to guarantee them a high place they coupled them together?

u dont think that the trek vote was split, so to guarantee them a high place they coupled them together?
Good point, and I guess we'll never know. Here's what they said about Trek:
The Greeks had their Pantheon and Olde England had their Round Table. We've got Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and Archer. The inhabitants of the Star Trek universe have given TV its longest-lasting saga. Is there any other franchise that has been as smart as Spock, as cool as Seven of Nine, as joyously hammy as Shatner? It's a big universe, and it's taken Star Trek- the brainchild of the truly legendary Gene Roddenberry- to fill it. His push-pull dynamic of reason struggling with emotion has become a hallmark of science fiction, and no other cast of characters has yet matched the Trek crew. We'll bet their future is safe.

After reading that I'm kind of wondering why they didn't vote for Roddenberry instead. But, I don't really care. I'm just happy that Sheridan was pretty high up there on the list. :)

Specifically you're forgetting "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum." But on many occasions Sheridan had to make difficult decisions. Remember how Franklin responded to Sheridan's decision regarding the frozen telepaths in the war with Clark? "He's right... but I hate it."

Of course Sheirdan was flawed, he was human and he had to make some damn tough decisions, but he made them and accepted the responsibility for them. That makes him a hero, albeit flawed.

Jack O'neill was way down there. And where are Liam Kincaid or William Boone? :mad:

I don't know, :D I think 9th out of 25 is pretty good..except for that "Alf" thing.. :(

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one rather confused about that. :eek:

I never watched more than a few episodes of "Alf" when I was at someone else's house. I am a bit confused as to how a puppet in a sit-com is classified as "Sci-Fi Legend". :confused:

I only connection I can think of (if the Alf in question is the one Hyp is referring to) is that Alf came from outer space somewhere....or at least I vaguely recall that he did.

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one rather confused about that. :eek:

I never watched more than a few episodes of "Alf" when I was at someone else's house. I am a bit confused as to how a puppet in a sit-com is classified as "Sci-Fi Legend". :confused:
I'm with you on that. What the heck is Alf doing on the list at all?

They have a small portion of the article available online. Unfortunately it doesn't list the ranking, or anything about Sheridan. :( Fortunately it doesn't list Alf either. :D

I guess these people want everyone to go out and buy the magazine. They need to move into the 21st century.
25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

So no-one has a problem with George Jetson being number 4? :)

Yes, Alf was from outer space, and he liked cats...alot.

I don't know if was a special or a new show, but, the other night Alf had a talk show he was hosting on some cable channel, LOL.

<guilty of having a stuffed Alf in the guest room>

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back