• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New Battlestar Galactica Review

Bester

Regular
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16490

As much as I think that aintitcoolnews is full of immature rantings, this review makes me think of what Crusade would have become if jms had given in to TNT's rediculous demands. Sex may sell, but will true sci-fi fans be interested in this kind of stuff? :rolleyes: Evil femmebots programmed for seduction just sounds like complete trash to me. :rolleyes:

How one could compare Crusade to the new BG is beyond me. I liked Crusade. I always thought that JMS gave into TNT's demands pertaining to season 5 of B5. I read that they wanted to make B5 sex in space and even have an episode involving a rape.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16490

As much as I think that aintitcoolnews is full of immature rantings, this review makes me think of what Crusade would have become if jms had given in to TNT's rediculous demands. Sex may sell, but will true sci-fi fans be interested in this kind of stuff? :rolleyes: Evil femmebots programmed for seduction just sounds like complete trash to me. :rolleyes:

You're right, it does sound what Crusade would have become if JMS had given in to all of TNT's "sex & violence" demands. Lucky for us, JMS didn't give in to the worst of TNT's demands.

From the review, it sounds like prime Skiffy channel material, right up there with the intergalactic vampires they went for instead of Polaris, and their $2 million movies. Cheap and trashy. (Why'd I just think of "Scare Tactics" and picture Shannen Doherty?) :devil:

Hate to add anything new on this but it appears that the alleged scifi channle is going to have a making of special that will inlcude interviews with some of the stars of the original series (at least Dirk Benidict and Richard Hatch).

That should be a riot.

Dirk Benedict: "What do you want me to say about this new POS series? THEY TURNED ME INTO A CHICK FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!"

Saw some previews for B:G today on an before-previews ad thing they're showing at Regal cinemas now.

Yes, there is a bombshell Cylon (in a red dress and blonde!) named "Number 6."

And, yes, they're making all the claims about it being groundbreaking and stuff.

Looks like a yawn to me.

They aired a special on scifi called Battlestar Galactica: The Lowdown. I didn't find it inspiring at all but rather boring. There is a scene with Number Six and Baltar where her spine glows as they are making love??????

This is one mini-series I'm not even thinking of watching. From the pre-reviews sounds like it belongs on Playboy, not Scifi. I'll join Channe in yawning.

And this is corresponding with my cable company moving Sci-Fi from Expanded Basic (analog) Cable which I have and was happy with, to Digital Cable (which I don't have and don't want). Ever since 11/20 they've been putting the following marquee notice across all their programming almost constantly (commercials excepted, of course :p ). It's been impossible to record a program on Sci-Fi since 11/20 and not have that damned marquee notice on it. :mad:

Important channel change announcement from Comcast...on or after 12/3, Sci-Fi is moving to the Digital Line-up and will only be available on Digital channel 160.

Later in the day on 11/20, they changed the notice to 12/10, so they will air the "reimagined" BSG on Expanded Basic (analog) cable, but it will surely be plastered with that damned notice. If I record it, it'll be like watching a demo tape. :p :mad:

Why should I spend $10 more per month to follow Sci-Fi to Digital Cable? I can't think of a good reason. Their programming future looks to be crap that's plastered with popups and scrunched credits. :mad: I think it's time to cut 'em loose.

I no longer have Sci-Fi.

To save money, I have adopted basic cable.

I haven't missed anything yet. I mean, all my B5 is on tape, and... what would I watch? Dark Shadows? Taken? Eh? Battlestar Galactica? I don't think so...

Not missing SciFi.

I no longer have Sci-Fi.

I haven't missed anything yet. I mean, all my B5 is on tape, and... what would I watch? Dark Shadows? Taken? Eh? Battlestar Galactica? I don't think so...

Not missing SciFi.

You forgot to mention the Z-Movies. :p

About all that's on Sci-Fi that's new and worth anything at all, is Stargate SG-1.

I grew up a fan of the original series, and while it was pretty cheesy by today's standards, I loved it. BSG was my first introduction into Sci-fi and it holds a special place in my heart to this day.

From all the reviews on this and how they've changed things. Starbuck female? Give me a break!What was wrong with the original character? He was fun, even if chauvanistic :) And sexing it up? Sounds like desperate measures to get people interested. Not me that is for sure. I've no interest or even curiosity to see this new BSG. :(

I'm very disappointed that Richard Hatch, who was working to get the show remade got kicked aside and this new version made. It sounds horrible and I for one wouldn't waste my time checking it out. Not even if someone paid me.

Sometimes remakes can be the worst mistake made by studio's.

Angel

On this subject the fans might have a chance even though it is slim. Larson holds the rights to any movie version made. He and Tom(X-Men)DeSanto might do a big screen version. Tom's version(FOX TV) was very modern and even a tad bit dark.

Thanks for the tip off KoshN I am also on Comcast. They do appear to be trying that here, yet. I really would not care if they did it anyways. Stargate-SG1 and Stargate Atlantis are the only shows scifi has that I am interested in and they will show up on syndication anyways.

Now if they were to yank the history channle or even disney (the kid gets her excersie dancing to their shows) from analog to digital I would get anoyed. I would also tell them to go screw themselves as I headed out shopping for satelite systems.

Now if they were to yank the history channle or even disney (the kid gets her excersie dancing to their shows) from analog to digital I would get anoyed.

Well, they're deleting Sci-Fi but adding TCM (Turner Classic movies), the Game Show Network and OLN (Outdoor Life Network), so adding TCM makes it a good trade, I hope. If they deleted The History Channel, that'd piss me off, too.

It's just that I was happy with what I had, they screw things up, and now I have to re-evaluate things. :mad: Damn meddlers. :mad:

Yeah, I know, I should look upon this as an opportunity, not a burden.

I no longer have Sci-Fi.

I haven't missed anything yet. I mean, all my B5 is on tape, and... what would I watch?
Stargate SG-1. :)

Oh, wait... it's comin out on DVDs... nevermind. :)

Back