• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Bad News for Blake's 7

Bester

Regular
Bad News for Blake\'s 7

Blake's 7 The Movie - A Message from Paul.

This is something I never thought I would have to write to you. I am sorry to say that circumstances have arisen, that leave me no alternative but to sever relations with the company formed to revive, Blake’s Seven.

Terry Nation and I talked at some length about his idea for a two-part TV Movie that might capture the imagination of a new generation, as well as pleasing those of you who have so constantly supported his original conception. Since his untimely death, I have tried to realise the vision which, in a sense, he entrusted to me.

However, I have fallen foul of modern business practice, which seems to prefer exploitation of a, ‘brand’, and therefore, a TV Movie such as Terry and I envisaged seems as far off as when it was first mooted. Otherwise, I must quote, ‘artistic differences’, with those with whom I was previously in association.

This is not a Damascene revelation – I have been disturbed by the situation for quite a while and have tried to remedy it, but my efforts have been overruled or ignored. My position became untenable. You will know, I hope, how deeply unhappy I am and I’m sure you will share in my disappointment.

As somebody once said – “Every silver lining has a cloud.” Your affection and support over so many years meant a lot to Terry – and still does to me.

Thank you.

PAUL DARROW

This can't be good :(

Re: Bad News for Blake\'s 7

More and more I hear things like what JMS has gone through, and this, and I think it is a wonder any quality projects ever get through at all these days.

It seems that everyone "creative" in the business is giving up sometimes. :rolleyes:

But... you can't necessarily equate quality with opinion.

Paul Darrow will of course get the sympathy and backing of fans. But, does he have the experience? Does he know what is necessarily good, and what will work? Or is he perhaps just holding on to sentementality.

Maybe... but then maybe some of them care about the quality too. It's very easy to paint them all as not giving a damn.

TNT/JMS is a good example... I heart TNT quite reviled around B5 waters, because JMS said they were awkward. But they gave us season five of B5, 3 telemovies and 13 eps of Crusade. Heavens forbid that JMS is just strongwilled.

All I'm saying is that the more fan-liked sides (the JMS and Pauls of this world) will immediately be invoked as the good guys, and the evil dollar-swindling "suits" as bad guys. I imagine it isn't quite that clear cut and, more to the point, we can't make those distinctions without hearing both sides of the story.

Anne McCaffrey also had a deal fall through with some station (it may have been ABC, I can't remember now). And I think there have been others.

I think almost all of modern television is a waste of time, that is why I am watching so little of it. So when I hear these things I admit, I do think "another potentially interesting idea shot into the toilet here".

If I actually liked and watched some of what these "tv executives" were putting on the air, I might feel differently. But every time I try out a new show, I find myself pretty horrified.

Terry Nation and I talked at some length about his idea for a two-part TV Movie that might capture the imagination of a new generation, as well as pleasing those of you who have so constantly supported his original conception. Since his untimely death, I have tried to realise the vision which, in a sense, he entrusted to me.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the difficulty is coming from Terry Nation's estate, who are quite stringent in the use of his copyrights. They have recently denied the BBC the right to air any Doctor Who stories featuring the Daleks (a creation of Nation) and forbid any licensed publishers to use them in print, unless it is written by John Peel.

That's a bummer, though. It would have been nice to see an updated version of B7.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back