• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek *spoilers*

OK well I guess we will wait and see then, and hopefully it makes sense. I'm not a "hardcore" Trekkie, but I did grow up with TOS as a kid (in reruns) and have always been a fan. That said I don't share any feelings of ill will prior to actually seeing the movie. While I think Abrams ability to continue with a TV series and keep the quality high and the plot moving along to a logical destination is a bit in question in my eyes, he has done some good films. I liked his take on Mission Impossible III, and also liked Cloverfield. Hopefully he will do Trek justice, and he seems to really want to stick to Cannon, so I hope he does.

That said, as a Trek fan, the one thing that turned me off of the movie concept was the infamous Trek plot device: Time Travel.

Dead horse, consider yourself beaten.

I was watching the special features on the First Contact DVD last night and one of the writers said that they chose a time travel story for the movie because it was something that wasn't explored much in the TV series. I almost fell off my chair!

I was watching the special features on the First Contact DVD last night and one of the writers said that they chose a time travel story for the movie because it was something that wasn't explored much in the TV series. I almost fell off my chair!

Ok now, that makes me question whether they ever actually watched the series, which might would explain why the big dramatic battle with the Borg at the beginning of the film lasted only like a pathetic five minutes.

http://open.salon.com/content.php?cid=43978

“I was never a fan of Star Trek until this movie,” Abrams said from a cinema in the center of Rome that is owned by Oscar winning producer Vittorio Cecchi Gori where Abrams asked for a showing of hands of non-Star Trek fans. “I made this film for you,” he said to those that like him, never cared about Star Trek. Abrams explained, “I knew who Kirk was, I knew Spock had the pointy ears…but one reason I never got into the show was I never knew what they were about.”

great

Is that quote real? Because that flies in the face of everything I heard, and that he said, when he started making this. I thought he, while not being a huge fan of Trek, at least had seen it and had an appreciation for the original series, and that he was going to be very particular about making it true to that.

If that quote is real, then we were fed a line of crap from this guy from day one, and this film is likely to suck some serious ass. Making trek for non-trek fans? That's the Rick Berman era, its already been done, and its what ran the franchise into the ground.

Three possibilities:

1. The quote is complete BS, or taken so out of context and/or twisted as to be practically untrue. We've just survived another stupid election, by now we should all be wary of such reports.

2. It's true, but he was just kissing the ass of the people there, a room maybe full of "industry" types or whatever, not real fans, and he was just stressing that the movie is enjoyable by non-Trekkies. Let's face it, that's a necessary requirement for any movie that's part of a franchise.

3. It's real

In any case we just have to judge the flick on its own merits. Some of those scene descriptions, if accurate, do not inspire confidence in me right now.

It would surprise me not at all if it is a real quote. I hardly trust Abrams to do good on this project as it is, and this quote sure doesn't help.

Quoting the article:

Abrams confessed that he became a fan while co-writing the script and decided to direct because “I started to feel jealous of whoever would direct.”

That really comes across to me like Abrams's big ego is more what he's interested in with this film and not Trek itself. The statement reads to me like he's a less a fan of Trek and more a fan of his own writing.

And reading the descriptions of the scene clips, I'm not exactly thrilled.

I'm actually excited about this. The trailer looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'm also not at all worried that Abrams may or may not have watched the show or was a fan at all. I think it might bring a freshness to the series.

Zachary as Spock is going to be so kickass. :)

From the trailer, it looks like they're going for a bit of that Matrix/Dark City/Nine Inch Nails DARK industrial feel. If my impression is correct, that's quite a departure from the aesthetic of Trek. Dunno what to think about that- on the one hand you don't want Trek to lose what's special about it, on the other hand if they are going to do this, like Alluveal said, might as well make it fresh.

I guess I don't really care that much how much of a fan Abrahams is, but I do hope they keep some of the basic themes of Trek: the special relationship amongst Kirk, Spock and McCoy (who wasn't even in that trailer. McCoy is probably the most underrated character in all Trek history and absolutely as crucial to the dynamic of the original series as Spock); the themes of adventure and improvement of human society through reason, science, technology, secular ethics and exploration.

I've always believed that Star Trek, a show about individual adventures, suffers in cinematic form- yes, even the great 2nd flick. Exotic locals and unique environments, with different situations and challenges, is central to Trek, and you can't have that with movies, which obviously has to be one continuous story.

I must say, though- Uhura looks absolutely delicious.

McCoy IS in the trailer. He's the one who says that space is dangerous, etc. You see him at 1:29.

Last edited:
So I lost track of this project. Is the official plan to just ignore the real history of when these characters met and all that and have a Trek-type remake of the original series? Or is it still up in the air if and how they'll try to tie this in with what we actually knew of the original series? Maybe I'm not totally up on the original series "facts", but I thought there were some obvious discrepancies.

And how many years was between the original starsip Enterprise (with Captain now Admiral I guess Archer) and the original series that we all saw?

I gather he had a new dog by then. :LOL:

As far as the trailer goes, trailers more and more seem to give me no indicaton about whether or not I'll like th eactual movie. It didn't look bad to me, so that's good at least.

And how many years was between the original starsip Enterprise (with Captain now Admiral I guess Archer) and the original series that we all saw?

I gather he had a new dog by then. :LOL:

If I remember right, the Archer series (Enterprise) is set 60 years before TOS. Transporters were not real safe in Enterprise, and the Federation didn't yet exist (The Vulcans and HUmans were the starting point, and the final episode of the series featured the speech announcing the formation of what would become Kirk's Federation and the principals it would be built upon, I believe)

So I lost track of this project. Is the official plan to just ignore the real history of when these characters met and all that and have a Trek-type remake of the original series? Or is it still up in the air if and how they'll try to tie this in with what we actually knew of the original series? Maybe I'm not totally up on the original series "facts", but I thought there were some obvious discrepancies

I believe it is intended to be consistent with the Star Trek universe as already established. However, the main story point of this movie has characters travelling into the past and changing the timeline. So, in a sense it can be considered both a prequel and a restart.

Back