• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The return of Gideon

Bester

Regular
I was wondering, IF the Sci-Fi Channel renews Crusade for a 2nd season, will Gary Cole return??
Judging from convention appearances, the rest of the crew have shown alot of interest in returning. But what of Mr Cole?

------------------
The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father
Trust the Corps

Maybe they won't continue Crusade with Legend of the Rangers coming up, but they should at least do a Crusade telefilm to finish up the story the series started.

Be seeing you.

------------------
Nothing's the same anymore.

rogeralmond.com

A telefilm of Crusade would be a great idea! I liked the series a lot. Of course it was still at its beginning, but it had potential.

Let's vote for a telefilm of Crusade and tell JMS...

------------------
And I tell you one thing, if the primates that we came from, had known that someday politicians would come out of the gene pool, they would have stayed up in the trees and written evolution of as a bad idea.
(John Sheridan, A Distant Star)

That's a good point about Cole. He stays pretty busy compared to the others. And to make a good telefilm, you would need Gideon.

Would be great!

invalensname

------------------
"There is always hope. Only because its the one thing no one's figured out how to kill, yet."
--Galen, 'Crusade'

Can you tell who my favorite character is?

Anyway, I think it's likely that he could return should the show be resurrected. From what I understand, ever since the cancellation of Crusade he had starred in 3 pilots that never went to series. Had any of them gone to series, then chances are he wouldn't be available. Yes, he has been keeping busy with guest appearances. (Most notably Frasier and The Practice) But making the odd guest appearance isn't as good as having a full-time job on a regular series. If Crusade were to be brought back then they could get him back, too.

And I would much prefer a series then a couple of movies. 110 hours of entertainment beats 6 or 8 hours of entertainment, anyday.

------------------

With my name, you can certainly tell my favorite character. But then I have been a long time Gary Cole fan. And he ain't that busy. A once in a while defense attorney on "The Practice" and not a nice one at that (ok, I work for lawyers too but I have an excuse).

Hopefully he could be persuaded.

I would rather have a series too, but at this point I will take anything. Anything at all.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

I heard somewhere in a transcript of a JMS chat that Gary Cole would be willing to be Gideon again.

------------------
"Gideon says we all have things to hide."
"Does he? How unfortunate, I was hoping he'd come further than that. Well not that it isn't true of course, it's just that one simply doesn't have to say it."

"I was just trying to work out whether a comment from me right now would be most wanted or least needed."

Damn I hope if (I hope it comes back) Crusade comes back and if it does come back I sure hope Captain Gideon is Captain of the Excalibur.
possible spoiler belowe more speculation

s

p

a

c

e

However I thought I heard a rumor somwhere that the way crusade was going somthing would have happened and the Crew of the excalibur would have gone renegade, they would have been accused of being traiters to Earth or somthing. Of coarce this is prolly because of Gideon finding out certain things and telling certain people and causing trouble with the wrong people(prolly about the Cerebus and Shadow tech).

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

If I remember correctly, LotR is supposed to take place about 3 years after the events in Objects at Rest. A Call to Arms and Crusade supposedly happed 5 year after (although I've argued here before that it was actually 4 years--I'll resurrect that argument if I have to).

Therefore, there could be some overlap between LotR and what would have been the first 3 or 4 years of Crusade. I'm guessing that LotR will focus on Rangers, possibly from the viewpoint of a White Star crew, but LotR may have appearances by the Excalibur and her crew the same way Crusade had Lochley, B5, and a guest appearance by Franklin.

We might get to see elements of the Crusade story arc afterall.

(Anyone notice that Legend of the Rangers and Lord of the Rings both have the same abbreviation--LotR. Coincidence? I seriously doubt it.)

Been reading other posts. I see others have noticed the LotR abbreviation similarity. Shouldn't be surprised; I realize now it's a no-brainer.

I'll use B5LR in the future.

------------------

If B5Lr starts B5+3, the second season would coincide w/ the telepath war, 3rd season would be the Drakh plague and Crusade.
There are references in the Psi-Corps and Centauri novels that indicate that it takes less than 3 years for the Excalibur to find the cure for the plague. That would mean that the end of a fifth year of B5Lr would roughly time out to that cure (Bester is on a completely cured earth about 4 years after the plague, from what I remember).

Of course, i'm assuming that JMS is planning a 5 year arc. He might fool all of us by saying it's a very solid 2 season arc.

------------------
"I bring the hand of God and that's all I bring. I speak for the Hand of God. I am the Preacher"
The Preacher - Dune Messiah

Preacher:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If B5Lr starts B5+3, the second season would coincide w/ the telepath war<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No exactly. S5 (excepting "SiL") is set in 2262. 2262 + 3 is 2265. The Telepath War begins in 2264 (when Lyta returns after a 2 year exile, as she told Garibaldi she would) and ends in 2265. The pilot film for Rangers is also set in 2265, and JMS has said that it takes place after the end of the Teep War. ("Objects at Rest" takes place late in 2262. JMS has said that To Live and Die in Starlight takes place "just under" 3 years later.)

Assuming a 5 year arc, and depending on how late in 2265 the movie takes place, the series will either cover 2265 through 22269 or 2266 through 2270. The latter is more likely if JMS is going to follow his B5 one season = one year formula. The pilot will likely take place too late in 2265 for the series to start in the same year.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>3rd season would be the Drakh plague and Crusade.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or the 2nd season, see above.

JMS has indicated that an apparent cure for the Drakh plague would be found in the second season, but that Gideon would subsequently learn that the "cure" isn't what it seems to be and that something else entirely is going on. Excalibur would have been ordered home and Gideon and company would have refused to obey the order, instead going renegade and continuing to search for a real cure and the truth behind what is happening.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Of course, i'm assuming that JMS is planning a 5 year arc. He might fool all of us by saying it's a very solid 2 season arc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not clear on which show this refers to, Rangers or Crusade. Either way, I don't think he would do a 2-year arc unless he had a really solid 3-year arc to follow it up with. The economics of American television are such that you really don't make money unless your show runs at least five years.

What he probably will do with Rangers, as he did with B5 and planned to do with Crusade is give us what we think is the main arc of the show. Then as soon as we think we've got it all figured out, he'll yank the rug out from under us and take us in a totally unexpected direction.

But once the five years are up and the dust has settled, we'll see that the first year arc was part and parcel of the "rest of the story" and that tons (or tonnes) of things were foreshadowed in the earliest episodes that wouldn't pay off until the late ones.

(Remember Lyta and G'Kar's meeting from The Gathering? That sat there collecting dust for five years until the very end of S5. Ditto the alien healing device. Seen a grand total of two times, not used or even spoken of after early in S2, vitally important late in S4.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>However I thought I heard a rumor somwhere that the way crusade was going somthing would have happened and the Crew of the excalibur would have gone renegade, they would have been accused of being traiters to Earth or somthing. Of coarce this is prolly because of Gideon finding out certain things and telling certain people and causing trouble with the wrong people(prolly about the Cerebus and Shadow tech).
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, in the last of the unproduced scripts they have Gideon just reacting to being shot, Galen tries to stop it from being a killing blow by shouting his name out to "get down", etc. Galen did a lot of damage down on that planet, twould be hard to dismiss it, would have loved to have known where JMS would have gone after that. Renegade maybe, definitely could have been interesting as long as they DON'T KILL MY CAPTAIN???!!!!!!

Oooooooooo can you tell I am still freaked over that? Ok, I am obsessing, but I remember the Missing Sinclair, need I say more?????

Loved the TOP DOG/Garibaldi bit, just loved it.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Latest posts

Members online

Back