• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Brit"- comment from JMS

Re: \"Brit\"- comment from JMS

That certainly makes sense. I'm assuming the idea of happy hour is to increase the number of people deciding to step out to the pub. IF they are going to be there anyway, then the only concern would be your competition. But agreeing among themselves to drop the happy hour at the same time, they have pretty much improved their situation.

And, as has been mentioned, made some "PC" publicity for themselves, too. Is there anything particularly binding about it, though? And how many pubs belong to this organisation?

It could be time to change the location of your social outings. :)

And how many pubs belong to this organisation?
It has 32,000 members including the big firms.
{snip}
Among those joining the campaign are all pubs owned by Carlsberg, Heineken, Scottish and Newcastle, Youngs and Theakston.

The All Bar One, Slug and Lettuce and Pitcher and Piano groups are also supporting the initiative, as is Diageo, which owns the Guinness brand.

The association is also calling on all pubs and supermarkets which sell cut-price alcohol to follow its example.

Thats all the chain pubs that are most likely to offer happy hours in the first place...

As the Uk government moves towards 24 hour licensing, this is a good way of convincing Daily Mail readers and the over 70's that something is being done to make sure those young folk aren't having too much fun.

I can't see it really affecting the serious problems of drink related violence and binge drinking that we have in the UK. Its a token PC gesture, as Hyp put it.

The fact we Brits seem to drink too much is an odd one, every socail event in every class seems to revolve around drink. Mind you, the UK Government classes four pints in an evening as a 'binge'. Spread out over six hours, this is not that much, imho.

Hmm...the All Bar One was one of my favorite happy hour places when last I was in London. Piffle.

The fact we Brits seem to drink too much is an odd one, every socail event in every class seems to revolve around drink. Mind you, the UK Government classes four pints in an evening as a 'binge'. Spread out over six hours, this is not that much, imho.

But the problem with happy hours is that they encourage drinkers not to spread their drinking over six hours, but to drink more in a shorter space of time by lining them up while they are cheap. The effect on the body of drinking more in a shorter time is quite striking - even I can drink four pint in six hours without falling over. Four pints in two hours, however, and I'm under the table. Probably asleep!

My experience of happy hours, as both drinker and bar worker (albeit a long time ago - but not in a galaxy far, far away!), is that people up their intake significantly during happy hour, but do not drink any less during the rest of the night than they would without happy hour.

Consequently, I reckon the breweries will probably find their profits remain stable as a result of this change, because the higher price will be balanced by fewer drinks being bought.

The change to 24 hour licensing will hopefully help solve the problems caused by the effects of people drinking a shedload in a short period, but I am not holding my breath. We Brits seem to have developed a culture of going out where drinking alcohol (and therefore getting drunk) are the whole point of the evening, rather than just part of a bigger "package".

There is no other explanation for the Doner Kebab!

:)

Re: Racist comment from jms

And let's face it, we are not all that rational ourselves. (Thatcher elected 3 times in a row, then blair, ermm Hello?)

Another generalisation? I didn't vote for Thatcher or Blair, I'll have you know :)

I think a lot of older people in the UK are blinkered into a Drazi approach to politics. What I mean by that is, they see the name of a political party and just assume that it stands for the same ideals it did when they were younger.

Too many people in this country sycophantically vote for someone on the basis of what "colour" the "flag" is.

Yes, this is a problem in many countries. The people who only vote for the same party that their parents voted for. Or the really adventurous: Those who only vote for the OPPOSITE party of what their parents voted for. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back