• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who - it's official

Re: Doctor Who - it\'s official

Either you have a very warped sense of humor, AMS, or you're very, very confused. But that's a topic for a different forum.
Prime Ministers may be heads of government but they are not heads of state. They cannot veto laws nor are they commander-in-chiefs, those powers are reserved for the monarchs.

Hell, give me some addresses or emails and I'll write your government. Let them know how much Dr. Who means to the people outside the UK and how we don't want it f*cked over either.

CE :D

You can always tell the new chairman of the BBC. Michael Grade got the job.
Grade is BBC Chairman

After running a channel that takes advertising Grade may be open to arguments about sales. ;)

I find this absolutely hilarious. :LOL:

Michael Grade openly admits to being the one that ditched Doctor Who in the first place because it was "crap".

I see a good long term future for this show!

Michael Grade openly admits to being the one that ditched Doctor Who in the first place because it was "crap".

I see a good long term future for this show!

When on "Room 101" Grade defended his cancelling Dr Who he allowed the show to hire 2 actors to dress up as Cybermen. So me may have kept a sense of humour about it.

We know that they were actors, fans would not have voted for the show to be dropped into Room 101.

Hopefully this time he will cure the show with a large budget rather than have an obituary that describes him as the man who cancelled Dr Who twice.

Well, if the early reports are correct, then he's been in some way warned by the people who gave him the job not to repeat history. So, we can only hope. If it comes out and is a big hit...I don't think anyone will be rushing to kill it.

This is a side of "Dr. Who" I have never heard about. I assumed it was lack of interest on the part of the viewing public that killed Dr. Who.

But once he is the Chairman, who will he be answering to that they can tell him 'not to repeat history'?

Well, since the BBC is owned and run by the government and they more or less told him that a "condition" of his getting the job meant he couldn't attack and kill Dr. Who...I would suspect that those in the government that oversee the BBC and hired him in the first place will be keeping a close eye on him and the situation.

At least, one can hope.

Newly appointed BBC Chairman Michael Grade gave an interview today to the PM program on BBC Radio 4. One of the topics discussed was Doctor Who. "The last time I axed Doctor Who," Grade told host Eddie Mair, "there was all sorts of consternation amongst the Board of Governors. It's not a matter for the Governors, it's a matter for the Management." He mentioned that he would tolerate the return of the series: "This time it's none of my business what happens to Doctor Who, as long as I don't have to watch it." Grade, as BBC Chairman, is not responsible for the decisions made on BBC programming.
-Outpost Gallifrey

:cool:

Well, since the BBC is owned and run by the government and they more or less told him that a "condition" of his getting the job meant he couldn't attack and kill Dr. Who...I would suspect that those in the government that oversee the BBC and hired him in the first place will be keeping a close eye on him and the situation.

At least, one can hope.

The BBC is managed by its Director General. The Director General reports to the BBC's Governors. The Governors consists of a mixture of politicians, aristocrats, businessmen and other big wigs (think of a charity/school committee).

Grade has been made chairman of the governors. The first task of the governors is to appoint a new Director General. Grade has announced that this will not happen for a while.

This sounds like a power grab to me.

He mentioned that he would tolerate the return of the series: "This time it's none of my business what happens to Doctor Who, as long as I don't have to watch it." Grade, as BBC Chairman, is not responsible for the decisions made on BBC programming. -Outpost Gallifrey

:confused: I'm sorry, but is that a joke? :confused:
Just what is the BBC Chairman responsible for if not... eh... the BBC?

The chairman looks more after the operational status of the BBC. Just like in any company the really high up people don't make specific decisions, they guide the company as a whole. Or just sit and absorb money, that works too. :D

He's not going to comission programming or anything in a chairman's role.

:confused: I'm sorry, but is that a joke? :confused:
Just what is the BBC Chairman responsible for if not... eh... the BBC?
No it is not a joke. This is the equivalent of a School Principle says that he is not responsible for deciding which chapter of the maths text book will be taught next month. That is the teacher's job.

The Chairman is responsible for appointing the Director General (=BBC's Principle) and agreeing the total budget with the UK Government. He may also be responsible for agreeing the amounts given to TV, radio and say building transmitters.

p.s. "Do I think that he will behave himself?", is a different question.

Gotcha. Thanks. For some reason I thought they did get involved in programming.

As far as behaving himself goes, if the job pays well then if he's smart, he will. :D

Gotcha. Thanks. For some reason I thought they did get involved in programming.
His uncle did. His uncle was running his own firm rather than a government bureaucracy.

Some more news that may be of interest from Outpost Gallifrey:

Today's Daily Express [5 May] notes that the new Doctor Who series may indeed be "the jewel in the crown of the BBC Christmas schedule," proposing that BBC1 will launch the series early, screening the first episode on Christmas Day 2004. There have been rumors of broadcast in early January, but this is the earliest report so far. "The Doctor Who project has lifted off with the kind of momentum no-one could have anticipated," the Daily Express quotes an unnamed source. "I don't think anyone knew how interested people would be or indeed what a huge fan base there is. The BBC are already working out what to put where and Doctor Who is on top of the list for Christmas Day." The article says that a decision on casting for Rose Tyler is still yet to be made, and states that Anna Friel ("Brookside") and Keeley Hawes ("Spooks") are two of the finalists... and also mentions that the Doctor will, in the first episode, battle "one of his most fearsome enemies - the terrifying automatons," obviously a slight misquote but definitely referring to the reported appearance of the Autons in the first story.

According to a news report in today's Daily Star [4 May], the rights issues between the BBC and the estate of Terry Nation, which owns the Daleks, has been sorted. "Doctor Who's most memorable foes are to return to the BBC in a deal worth £250,000," says the article, which mentions that the BBC jointly owns the rights to the Daleks with Nation, who died in 1997, but it still needed permission to feature them in the new show. Says the article, "Show producers are already having fun giving the Daleks more powers. The formerly floor-bound machines will be able to fly. Also under discussion is a plot in which they try to take over London," which could possibly be referring to one of the story titles previously announced (the two parter at episodes four & five). All of this "signals the BBC's firm intention to make the sci-fi series even more successful than it was the first time around," says the article, which notes that each episode is running to a £1 million budget - more than the BBC has ever spent on a drama.
May 4's Express picked up on the Dalek rights story, which we reported yesterday, stating that "the BBC had to broker a £250,000 deal with the estate of the show's creator, which some might say was ex-tor-tion-ate!" The deal is said to have been concluded last month and the Express says that now "the deal means that the formidable baddies can get ready to terrify an entirely new generation." Interestingly, the article says that Eccleston is signing what they call a "three-year megadeal".

£1 million an episode is too much. The shows will be full of waste, need very high ratings and probably make a loss. The series will be cancelled.

Oh, dear. I do hope AMS is wrong there. :(

So it might be out as early as Christmas? Wow. I wonder when it'll get to the USA.

I'm guessing BBCAmerica will show it not too long after its first run. Although they've made it quite clear that they are not catering to an American audience*, they can't really deny its popularity. I'm sure the Beeb is making plenty of dollars from the Region 1 sales of the DVDs. Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to sign up for digital cable again.
:rolleyes:

In the past, I'd have said PBS would've been the best bet. When I lived back in Philly, I found that the New Jersey Network generally got the new seasons almost right after they aired. But back then, a lot of PBS stations were airing DW weekly, if not nightly. Now it seems there isn't as much interest from PBS.

(*since the 1996 TV Movie, which was deemed "too American" by fans, they don't want it to appear remotely non-British) ;)

My cable package doesn't come with BBC America. I'll have to check it out.

And the PBS station out of Tucson is the cheapest damn PBS station I've ever encountered in my life. They don't run things that are advertised nationally as BBC documentaries, and for years (and I mean YEARS) they ran only the Tom Baker episodes of Dr. Who, over and over again. :rolleyes:

If I can't get a package with BBC America that is cheap and that I like, how does one steal it off of the internet?

:D

Andrew, firstly the BBC isn't ratings obsessed, you should know this. And it may get some good resale money from around the world.

But that aside, you're basing this on what the Daily Star reported. Since when do facts and the Daily Star have any connection?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back