• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season 5 Deleted Scenes

Looking at the picture more closely on the DVD, I think you are correct. The General Ivanova helmet seems to have a raised center ridge, which none of the others do. It also appears to be uniformly silver-grey except for the painted pattern, and not striped (the "striping" is a trick of the light).

We will have to get pictures of every pilot's hemet shown on the show to conclude that they tell us nothing? :)

It doesn't look like Byron's helmet - wrong colors and design.

I'll have to look at bester's helmet in "Ship of Tears" but I am pretty sure it was all black.

The design is closest to that of Sinclair's helmet at The Line (with the raised central ridge that includes the top faceplate holders)
sin_helm.jpg
but the pattern is wrong.

So, it would seem that the helmet is from the E-M war period (as later designs are smoother) and so I am now tending towards Recoil's answer: this is Ganya's helmet, but is one that he had stopped using when the newer model came out. Obviously, the one he wore on the final mission wouldn't be available.

I don't think that's a black omega, I think that's just a trick of vision based on traditional patch shape. I just cannot see people making squadron patches for a supersecret organization! :LOL: Could be that "Phobos Wing" was the cover story for the Black Omegas, though, and then the BO could sneak in their symbol without it being noticed.

It is a strange patch, though. That's not a human skull (or, at least if it is meant to be the artist was very poor). And the yellow on black patter at the edge is writing - something on the order of sixteeen words (which is about 4 times as many as you should see on a patch! :D). AND there is writing underneath "Phobos Wing." Maybe somebody with better abilities to cature images can get something on the writing.

Didn't see this before I wrote the post above on helmets. You have a very good eye - the design is the same as Sinclair's helmet and like none of the others I have found yet.

KoshN,

Why not settle this and post the question regarding the S5 DVD Extended Scene Attn: JMS in the moderated newsgroup. I'm sure when he gets the time, he would be willing to answer a question on 'new material'

Will do. Gotta do a little more research first, though.

Is the symbol on the helmet a pheonix, as in Cpt. Lochley's helmet? Someone do a screen capture for us.

Is the symbol on the helmet a pheonix, as in Cpt. Lochley's helmet? Someone do a screen capture for us.

It is definitely not the Phoenix from Lochley's helmet in Crusade's "Each Night I Dream of Home" but it does look like the symbol on the top of Lochley's starfury from that Crusade episode.

KoshN,

Why not settle this and post the question regarding the S5 DVD Extended Scene Attn: JMS in the moderated newsgroup. I'm sure when he gets the time, he would be willing to answer a question on 'new material'

I just remembered that jms has sold some copies for the script for Sleeping in Light to the general fan base. Maybe the script can answer our question as well. Has anyone here bought the script?

I just remembered that jms has sold some copies for the script for Sleeping in Light to the general fan base. Maybe the script can answer our question as well. Has anyone here bought the script?

I don't have the copy of the script that JMS was selling last year but I do have one that was used by the art director. The only note he put on the script for Ivanova's office is to add the Hugo. Hopefully JMS will answer KoshN's question over on the moderated ng.

Jan

Yep, and the same thought occurred to me. The script has the latrine duty bit in it, but no mention of the pike or the helmet. I'm guessing that's an extra flourish the director threw in. Damn directors, always mucking with the writer's vision . . . :)

Hopefully JMS will answer KoshN's question over on the moderated ng.

Offhand, I'd say there is about a 0.0001% chance of that happening.

Silly question: Why not? I've certainly seen him answer questions by er...less likely people. <g>

Jan

Hopefully JMS will answer KoshN's question over on the moderated ng.

Offhand, I'd say there is about a 0.0001% chance of that happening.

Silly question: Why not? I've certainly seen him answer questions by er...less likely people. <g>

Jan

Think I'm on his shitlist. IIRC, I don't think he's replied to anything I've asked since 7/19/2003. Basically, I posted a question (seconding somebody else's question about availability of SiL scripts). He "replied" to my post, ignoring 100% of it, and talking about something else that neither myself or the other guy would ever have the chance to take part in (given the content of our posts). It came off as a sort of a :p :p :p . I responded by sending him a slightly impertinent email on 7/19/2003, and have since then been either blocked or blacklisted. JMS holds a grudge. I have a tough time holding a grudge.

So, if anybody wants to ask JMS a question, and they really want to get an answer, have somebody other than me ask it, K? ;) However, that said, I keep asking, hoping that one day he'll mellow out.

Well my set finally arrived; damn floaters again :mad:
It was great to see some extra footage from SIL but I'm glad it was cut. Would've detracted from a perfect episode.
I wish the extended Ivanova/Delenn scene discussing David was also in there. JMS talks about it in his commentary.

What was the question again? :LOL:

I don't really understand B5 as you folks do. So find a concise sentence or two I can post, and I'll post it for you.

But I'll warn you, I will NOT put ATTN: JMS in the title.

I think that's rude. He reads the damned group, and responds to what he chooses to respond to, as it should be. I'll simply toss the question out and when I have time let you know what the answers might be.

If that's alright with the moderated moderators. :LOL:

You can't get a free newsreader and join the group yourself? I use google at the moment to read it.

I wish the extended Ivanova/Delenn scene discussing David was also in there. JMS talks about it in his commentary.

My thoughts exactly while listening to the commentary. He says the scene ended up being almost twenty minutes long, but there was obviously less in the final cut.

But this could be a good thing - the ramifications being that maybe the scene included, or conflicted with, a certain aspect of the *new* material in production. David Sheridan was featured in the Centauri trilogy, but his handling always seemed a bit vague, like the telepath war. And since this commentary and DVD release may have occured during the time JMS was planning whatever he was planning, it always leaves room for a little speculation.

What was the question again? :LOL:

I don't really understand B5 as you folks do. So find a concise sentence or two I can post, and I'll post it for you.

But I'll warn you, I will NOT put ATTN: JMS in the title.

I think that's rude. He reads the damned group, and responds to what he chooses to respond to, as it should be. I'll simply toss the question out and when I have time let you know what the answers might be.

If that's alright with the moderated moderators. :LOL:

You can't get a free newsreader and join the group yourself? I use google at the moment to read it.

I already posted it. If you want, pile onto mine, and indicate that you also want to know the answer to the question.

KoshN's rastb5m post "Attn. JMS: Question Re. S5 Deleted Scene"

BTW, "Attn. JMS - ..." is the accepted syntax in the group for posing a question to JMS. It is not rude. It's the way things are done in rastb5m. It's what's understood. However, that said, if you want to change the Subject line to your liking in your post/reply, be my guest. Seriously, name it what you want. :)

If it's scrolled off peoples' news server, they can reply in Google Groups (if they're registered).

S5 Deleted Scenes/History of ATTN JMS

Agreed on rastb5m protocol, which actually predates rastb5m. For anyone interested in this historical record, there's this message from the Lurker's Guide's archive of Usenet posts:

Date: 2 Feb 1994 16:04:48 -0500
Subject: Re: About the RFD Process

Since you raised the question about the explosion of messages...I have a small suggestion. Right now, when I log onto GEnie and get the alt messages in my email via the Internet gateway, there are now about 200 messages a day. I do read them all, but it's going to get a lot busier.

If there is a message out there by someone that requires a response, or is a specific question for me, if you could begin the note with JMS, in the subject header, I'll know to read that one first. Others may have to sit in the box for a day or so until I can do a massive read.
Certainly Usenet is quieter than it was back in the day, but I've never seen JMS request that folks stop the convention.
(Edit - I misread the page header when Google found this for me. The post isn't from GEnie, it's from the old alt.tv Usenet group, before the rastb5 groups were set up.)

I believe the Attn:JMS is something JMS has requested to be used for questions intended for him in the past. I don't visit that site but I believe it's part of protocal JMS himself set up.

Back