• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Most Annoying Guest Character In B5?

OK, now I'm gonna pick my most annoying one-off character. This dude...

mah-chu-RI-chu... ha-cho-RI-chu

That f'n soul hunter. Seriously, what the hell is up with that dude?
Funny thing is, he was pretty sweet as G'Kar's uncle, G'Somethingorother. Grizzled old military guy- the perfect role for him. G'rizzled. I want him and Tigh from Battlestar Galactica to do a scene together- the utliimate grizzled contest.

Yea I think he is my #1 for sure too. And you know what? This reminds me of one of the reasons it can be hard to get people hooked into B5...the acting in many of those early episodes. You had this "mee-chu-reee-chu" dude in just the second true episode of the series, and then he was followed up by "EEEEEEEKKKKAAAAAAARRRRRAAAAAAAAA" two episodes later.

You really have to tell people to set aside some of the roughness early on and focus on the elements and to look for the arc.

Yea I think he is my #1 for sure too. And you know what? This reminds me of one of the reasons it can be hard to get people hooked into B5...the acting in many of those early episodes. You had this "mee-chu-reee-chu" dude in just the second true episode of the series, and then he was followed up by "EEEEEEEKKKKAAAAAAARRRRRAAAAAAAAA" two episodes later.

You really have to tell people to set aside some of the roughness early on and focus on the elements and to look for the arc.

Take out your DVD, pop some 'shrooms, and put on the scene where soul hunter chats with N'Grath. It will change your life.

The one on the left, Miss Kelsey portrayed by Felicity Waterman in season 1 episode Mind War

ftztkl.jpg

Ari Ben Zayn ain't got nothing on her :)

I liked ol' ABZie. The character's malice was well met by the actor, but while this woman here apparently should be a rather menacing psicop watch hound, the actress isn't quite up to the task and therefore she seems like a schoolyard princess giving threats.

Last edited:
The one on the left, Miss Kelsey portrayed by Felicity Waterman in season 1 episode Mind War The character's malice was well met by the actor, but while this woman here apparently should be a rather menacing psicop watch hound, the actress isn't quite up to the task and therefore she seems like a schoolyard princess giving threats.

Yeah, she sucked equally during her stint on Knots Landing. I was glad when Ironheart fragged her.

Totally off topic. I just realized that the dude from Severed Dreams (who replaced Cpt. Hague) was also in Animal House. He played William Tell's Overture on his throat.

Kick-butt.

He and Stephen Furst have more "6 degrees of separation" mojo going now.

P.S. Sorry I don't recall the names of the actor or the character. I liked him, though. I'm just too lazy and tired to go look it up.

Sorry about that. I should've used a quote to prevent that confusion. Yeah, I'm not saying Major Ryan was an annoying character at all, but replying to Alluveal.

I don't think Clark had a lot of friends, truth be told.

To me Clarke always felt like sort of a despaired small man who just happened to be in the right place in the right time - or at the wrong place at the wrong time.

24v7cd1.jpg

Getting to the end of the 4th season I quickly remembered whom I disliked even more than the telepath I mentioned earlier. She's such a lousy actress in addition of being miscast quite heavily.

Last edited:
The actor playing Ari Ben Zayn was bang slap in the middle of a messy divorce according to Walter Koenig (who mentioned it in interview),so that might explain some of the insane hammy aggressionnin his performance.

Made me dislike his character, so it worked for me. Thought he was OK.

Jinxo was alright... he was just a bit of a spanner.

I liked Jinxo. He was alright.

Zento got on my pip with some of his facial expressions in By Any Means.

Wasn't he the government negotiator? If so, yeah, that's a good pick.

I'd have picked Lianna Kemmer (Survivors), and Byron. .:p

Got to season 5 now and yeah, the telepaths are awful and for me it goes a bit beyond the actors too. Byron is Byron I suppose, a bit fruity for the part perhaps. Still, I'm extremely uncomfortable with how the group acts together. I think it sort of underlines the unnatural existence of the telepaths and I wonder if this was the intention. That kind of weird closeness and zero privacy is too much for me.

I think it's a bit silly how Sheridan rants about the coming telepath war while treating telepaths the way he does - meaning Lyta, who is always scowled upon. I mean, how can anyone not like her? She's sweet, beautiful and polite and clearly anti-core and helped everyone countless times... so, what gives? She's proven herself over and over.

Got to season 5 now and yeah, the telepaths are awful and for me it goes a bit beyond the actors too. Byron is Byron I suppose, a bit fruity for the part perhaps. Still, I'm extremely uncomfortable with how the group acts together. I think it sort of underlines the unnatural existence of the telepaths and I wonder if this was the intention. That kind of weird closeness and zero privacy is too much for me.

Have you come across where they all sing together (ala kumbuyah). :eek: That's a phoenetic spelling. No idea how it's actually spelled.

I think it's a bit silly how Sheridan rants about the coming telepath war while treating telepaths the way he does - meaning Lyta, who is always scowled upon. I mean, how can anyone not like her? She's sweet, beautiful and polite and clearly anti-core

anti-corps

and helped everyone countless times... so, what gives? She's proven herself over and over.

I'd say that his treatment of her is over-the-top awful, out-of-character, and ridiculous. Seemed like a forced, phoney, ham-handed way for JMS to get her to go over to the side of Byron's telepaths.

Sometimes JMS seems like a great writer, and sometimes he seems like he's all thumbs.

Yeah, been a fan for years and years, so I remember those silly chants.

I think the group spirit thing might've worked with better actors but it was downhill from when Byron introduced the first one of his gang as "Sarah the beautiful", or something, which I suppose might've been an interesting way to introduce someone if she'd actually be otherworldly - not necessarily beautiful, but at least charismatic somehow. This chick looked like the girl next door. Sure, I guess we could call everyone "the beautiful" once we get to know them and hold them dear, but c'mon.

I suppose that one might try to explain Sheridan's behaviour towards Lyta with things like how he knows how the vorlons turned out to be and how Lyta telepathically nudged Z for self-destruction before they got there with Bester. She could be seen as a loose cannon and I don't think that any leaders will stand long for that sort of behaviour from someone under him.

Imagining yourself in that kind of world where there are telepaths and how different they are, and taking into account those things above, I suppose that some level of reservation is only common sense. Still, some of those hateful looks of Sheridan when he's with Lyta and the way he's bullying her is just plain dumb - and yeah, sometimes you just gotta wonder about JMS. I don't know if he oversaw everything and that if the show had different people at different shooting locales so that some scenes might've gone through with this type of vibe that doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Yeah, been a fan for years and years, so I remember those silly chants.

I think the group spirit thing might've worked with better actors but it was downhill from when Byron introduced the first one of his gang as "Sarah the beautiful", or something, which I suppose might've been an interesting way to introduce someone if she'd actually be otherworldly - not necessarily beautiful, but at least charismatic somehow. This chick looked like the girl next door. Sure, I guess we could call everyone "the beautiful" once we get to know them and hold them dear, but c'mon.

The whole thing just felt weird, like some rudderless, delusional hippies with shampoo commercial hair, had no solutions and only a drug warped connection to reality.

I suppose that one might try to explain Sheridan's behaviour towards Lyta with things like how he knows how the vorlons turned out to be and how Lyta telepathically nudged Z for self-destruction before they got there with Bester. She could be seen as a loose cannon and I don't think that any leaders will stand long for that sort of behaviour from someone under him.

But Lyta wasn't really under him. She wasn't in his chain of command, and he hadn't cemented any kind of informal chain of command with her, "deputised" her, or anything like that. Additionally, after the Vorlons were gone, she was left to fend for herself, and was persona non grata to all sides, Psi Corps, Army of Light and the business community. If I'd have been Sheridan, after all she'd done for me and my cause, I'd damned well have taken care of her, helped her out and made her feel INCLUDED, instead of EXCLUDED and tossed aside. If he'd done that, she'd almost certainly have INCLUDED him. She could have told him about not letting Bester get anywhere near Z'ha'dum, and her plans, and she could have put in a block to prevent Bester from Bester seeing it in Sheridan's mind. C'mon, you know she could have put in a block that Bester wouldn't either see or have any chance of getting through. This is Lyta, the Vorlon enhanced telepath/telekinetic and she's far, far beyond Bester's P12 rating.

Imagining yourself in that kind of world where there are telepaths and how different they are, and taking into account those things above, I suppose that some level of reservation is only common sense. Still, some of those hateful looks of Sheridan when he's with Lyta and the way he's bullying her is just plain dumb - and yeah, sometimes you just gotta wonder about JMS. I don't know if he oversaw everything and that if the show had different people at different shooting locales so that some scenes might've gone through with this type of vibe that doesn't make any sense.

Oh, I think JMS was in charge of everything and just couldn't think up a good way to get Lyta over to Bryon's side. Sheridan had to alienate her, and IMHO, it was entirely out of character. It was just crappy storytelling. I think JMS might have had a better plan when it involved Ivanova, but when CC didn't come back for Season 5, it all went to hell, and JMS couldn't come up with a good way to get the telepath replacement (Lyta) over to Byron's side. Ivanova would have been more of a natural because it would have been out of an attraction (to a side that's against the Corps. Ivanova's always been on the outside relative to the Corps.), instead out of a repulsion (Sheridan alienating Lyta.).

Bottom Line: CC rottenly threw a plasma grenade into JMS' storyline, and he couldn't adequately recover, and everybody suffers.

Last edited:
Back